The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-20-2004, 06:23 PM   #46
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

I scrapbook AND play bunco *G* Both are addicting and relaxing in their own right.

Yes, I'm weird, but there's a lot of stuff I don't 'get' either.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:43 AM   #47
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Carolling has it's moments. I actually miss doing that. Of course, if you do it these days, you get the ACLU all over your ass.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:42 AM   #48
TheDormouse

What I don't get are:

People that dress those damned geese (and their little dogs, too--said in Wicked Witch of the West's voice) in seasonal/holiday clothes.

Jerks who, while driving, will intentionally swerve to hit some poor critter on the road (or curb)

the French (apologies to any Cellarites that are French, you must be the very rare exceptions) My brother-in-law is French, and I count down the holidays for exactly the opposite reason of most other people--with dread--because *he* will be here.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:48 AM   #49
404Error
Lecturer

Ditto on the French. They walk around like their doo-doo don't stink when, in fact, they themselves offend the olfactory.

Something that I don't get is how newspaper articles refer to criminals and suspects in crimes as Mister.

Like Mr. Soandso and Mr. Thug robbed the little old lady and then escaped in Mr. Jerkwad's vehicle.

I was taught that Mister is a title of respect, not meant for the dregs of society.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:04 AM   #50
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

If they are only suspects, they still deserve common respect. Once they've been convicted, I guess they don't anymore--but I can't recall a remotely recent newspaper article that actually called anyone Mister anyway. All the news stories I read just refer to people by their last names. "Jones will appear in court," etc. What newspaper are you reading?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 09:21 AM   #51
404Error
Lecturer

NY Times

A snip from an article about the arson fires in Maryland:

Quote:
Another suspect, Roy T. McCann, court papers said, admitted that he had known beforehand about planning for the fires, but maintained that he left the subdivision just before they were set. The night before the fires, Mr. McCann said, an acquaintance called him on a cellphone and said Mr. Walsh planned to "do something stupid" at the subdivision, called Hunters Brooke.

Mr. McCann told investigators that he had seen Mr. Walsh, Mr. Gilbert and two others now in custody, Aaron L. Speed and Jeremy D. Parady, enter two houses carrying bottles they had unloaded from a car, the court documents said.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:30 AM   #52
Kitsune
still eats dirt

What I don't get: the use of the following words and phrases. In fact, I demand the following be removed from popular use. Forever. I know time will do it for me but it cannot possibly happen soon enough.

"That's classic!" - offered as a response to a funny joke amusing story.
"Got a question for ya..." - I'm not answering.
"Teh" - as in "teh internet" or "you are teh retarded". Verbally spoken.
"Bling" - needs no explanation.
"Blog" - unrelated to "bling" despite both sounding like onomatopoeias.
"Get 'er done" - people at my office have started using this one, complete with grimy redneck accent and dirty old man laugh at the end. Plthijinx is granted a waiver since he blurted it in a post after successfully getting his commercial pilot certification where I suppose it is acceptabled.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote