The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-10-2002, 12:05 PM   #31
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I didn't read the book...although if what Tob says is true, it sounds worse than the movie...though that's nothing to sneeze at.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 01:49 PM   #32
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

Oh my fk'n God-

How I love lousy reviews..

Old 12-11-2002, 07:18 AM   #33
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

Lilo and Stitch-

I still can't get the voice of the mad scientist out of my head. I know someone very much that at work and last night he had his hands wrapped around my throught. After all, it is one of many Romanian ways of humor. He doesn't know it but I wasn't just pretending to be frightened and stunned by his actions. Who knows what they were thinking when they casted the "Lou Albino" sound-a-like? Just kidding, loved every minute of it.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:29 PM   #34
jaguar
whig

Clockwork orange full stop, how did i forget that!
Old 12-11-2002, 11:06 PM   #35
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Fight Club

Mine has got to be one of 2 scenes in Fight Club:

Tyler Durden kisses the Ed Norton character's hand and pours lye onto it, leaving a kiss shaped scar. That was hard to watch.

Tyler and the Ed Norton character raid the dumpster behind a medical clinic, taking large transparent bags of fat gleaned from liposuction. As if that isn't bad enough, one of the bags of fat breaks and dumps all over them. They even made it in this strange pink/salmon color. I don't know if that stuff actually comes out that color, but either way the color adds to the gross effect.

~Case
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 10:17 AM   #36
headsplice
Relaxed

Ughh....you people make me squeamish....
The first nastiness that I can remember is seven. All of the killings are particularly horrific. Sloth and Lust are the two that come to mind. Damn.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:22 AM   #37
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Sloth was the only one that got me.

By the time we made it to lust, I knew it was going to be icky.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 10:53 AM   #38
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

Interesting title as well-

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Clockwork orange full stop, how did i forget that!
The lead character is tortured and rehabilitated for his crimes by being forced to listen to loud classical music while restrained, and also receives eyedrops every five or so seconds (water torture). He is released, subjected to fits and spasms of culture shock and then happens across the doorstep of some of his old victims who take him in and soon have their revenge upon the criminal. What can I say? Malcolm McDowell is still one of my most favorite actors for roles such as this one, not that I will ever watch it again if I can help it.

A personal note- I do not recommend this movie to anyone even if slightly curious, it really will leave you feeling ill for at least a couple of days if not longer- I only admire the actor for assuming such a pioneering role in this particular historic niche within the genre of "shock" film entertainment. To me the films did seem a little more entertaining with the arrival of others such as "Friday the 13th", "Halloween", and especially "Hellraiser".

Honestly cannot think of a sicker movie, period.

:p

Last edited by j03L10T; 12-12-2002 at 11:04 AM.
j03L10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 01:21 PM   #39
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Yes, bits of it are ugly. Other bits are brutal.

And that wasn't water torture, incidentally, that was saline drops put into his dry oh dry glazzies so they wouldn't crisp up and fall out when Alex was viddying the cinnies.

But A Clockwork Orange is an amazing film based on an equally amazing book. It's real horrorshow. (which means good, not icky or dripping with blood.)

But it's not a film that can even unreasonably be compared to slasher/spatter/horror films that you mention.

That's the filmic equivalent of comparing the storytelling and art of the cistine chapel, with a comic book. Yeah. They're both composed of pictures that tell a story, but one's high art, the other's low entertainment.

Lissen here droog ...

Kubrick was a genius who vizzied.

Burgess was a story teller beyond compare, but none of his other works really reached the genius of A Clockwork Orange (which you have to read with the original ending, not the ending that appeared in the better known american edition of the book).

Yes, I used the word genius twice. I honestly couldn't find a better synonym.

There a lot of strong social commentary in them thar reels, and looking back at the film, the vision of the future was more right than wrong. (I'm glad he was wrong about the plastic minidresses. I would look bloody awful in a plastic minidress).

Appypollylogies accepted.

I'm off to listen to the glorius ninth.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Last edited by wolf; 12-13-2002 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:47 AM   #40
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

I suppose it would have made a difference to have read the book before watching the movie. And yes, it's been such a long time since I have cared to try to recall the plot- I still stand by my own account of the film and how it made me feel at the time I saw it. With the exception of the account of the water torture scene, of course and honestly don't think very much of Kubric's films as a collective whole. I'll agree that he seemed to have an incredible view of the future, and in his own unique way helped to make some of his ideas a reality. They say that life imitates art and I have seen it for myself enough times to make we want to destroy some of my own work. In case you were wondering what it is I'm not too crazy about in term's of his films- too abstract for my taste. I KNOW that I myself would not look very attractive in a plastic mini dress.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:49 AM   #41
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Kubrick

I admit i a matter of personal taste. even I don't like everything he did ... Hell. I just checked imdb.com and found out that I haven't seen everything he did. There are a cluster of (probably pretty bad B-grade) movies he directed in the '50s.

Barry Lyndon was terribly boring and entirely too long, but I still appreciated some of the directorial niceties of the film (particularly the hommage to artwork of the period ... each scene begins with a recreation of some famous period piece.

2001 was also fairly boring and very long, but it managed to be cool. After all, it had spaceships. Also, that film was groundbreaking in terms of both special effects films and science fiction films. SF grw up in 1968 ... the focus was crisp, the plot was complex, and you couldn't see the wires on the spaceships.

Dr. Strangelove Is about as funny a movie as I've ever seen. And a delightful anti-war film (which was a recurring theme in his work). I do wonder if Peter Sellars was paid separately for each role?

The Shining was the scariest movie i've ever seen. I've always enjoyed horror genre films. I like 'em. I laugh at a lot of them. This was different. It was also NOT Stephen King's Shining (I saw the movie first and still think it's scarier than the book)

Full Metal Jacket is pretty close to being my favorite movie of all time. (Favorite-favorite movie is The Great Escape) incredibly powerful, and fantastic adaptation of the book, the writer of which was one of the writers of the film.

I haven't seen Eyes Wide Shut and I don't know if I actually intend to or not. I realy don't like Nicole Kidman, and on that basis, probably won't see it. Okay, if I'm home and there's nothing else on and it comes on HBO ... but I won't rent it or anything ... well unless I'm with someone who really wants to see it and we can't find anything else ...

I'm not trying here to convince anybody who doesn't like Kubrick that they should ... but I just wanted to get this said.

Old 12-13-2002, 11:04 AM   #42
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

Re: Kubrick

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
I'm not trying here to convince anybody who doesn't like Kubrick that they should ... but I just wanted to get this said.
Wolf, you said it very well. Dr.Strangelove is an all time favorite of mine I have sometimes made a few alusions to in a couple of my best selling horror stories. "The Shining", is as timeless to me as the very air I breathe (even when chain smoking), and "Full Metal Jacket" is simply unforgetable- I don't believe I will ever grow tired of watching that one!

Last edited by j03L10T; 12-13-2002 at 11:08 AM.
j03L10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 01:20 PM   #43
dave

Re: Kubrick

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
I admit i a matter of personal taste. even I don't like everything he did ... Hell. I just checked imdb.com and found out that I haven't seen everything he did. There are a cluster of (probably pretty bad B-grade) movies he directed in the '50s.
If you never see another Kubrick film in your entire life, see "Paths of Glory". It's hardly a pretty bad B-grade movie.

"The Killing" is also excellent. Hey, see that too.

"Spartacus" is pretty decent, though different. He only directed about 2/3 of it, and you can tell. But I enjoy it anyway.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:56 AM   #44
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

Re: Re: Kubrick

Quote:
Originally posted by dave

If you never see another Kubrick film in your entire life, see "Paths of Glory". It's hardly a pretty bad B-grade movie.

"The Killing" is also excellent. Hey, see that too.

"Spartacus" is pretty decent, though different. He only directed about 2/3 of it, and you can tell. But I enjoy it anyway.
Dave, do you know if by chance he also directed that old movie "Straw Dogs", in which Dustin Hoffman filled the lead? It too was a pretty decent B grade movie in my book. Very suspensefull, mostly a sort of "who or what is beyond the outside of our front door" thriller. I wouldn't mind watching that one again.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:32 AM   #45
dave

He did not.