The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > Photoshop Phrenzy!
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Photoshop Phrenzy! Images out of your own head

Old 03-26-2003, 11:20 PM   #91
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by slang

What? I'm a kinder gentler rural asshole now. You didnt read my book.....now did you?
hey! if it aint a strategy guide for the slangame, im not interested. i wont be happy until i know how to defeat radar and not have him respawn.

~james
Old 03-26-2003, 11:36 PM   #92
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

AB, let me extend the hand of diplomacy too. By becoming a wordy sociologist...

What we are here is a community of sorts, and quite open; and what we often find is that the community has to be defended from people looking to make a quick buck. And defended from people who try to USE it rather than abuse it.

The kind of nuclear overreaction you saw, partly reflects that nature. Oh no, someone's trying to spam us or trick us or... you know the drill. Anything is worthwhile in defending the community.

In effect, we figured we were being taken for a ride, and behaved accordingly. What's cool is that you seem like a cool person who might like to hang out, and you're welcome to do so, please consider it.

I would be overjoyed to apply my minimal talents to logo design at $50/hour for one hour to develop a proper logo. I'm happy to work on an invoice basis too.

I didn't do the Cellar logo, that was HB. I have samples of work if you'd like.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:06 AM   #93
Nothing But Net
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
AB, let me extend the hand of diplomacy too.
UT, sometimes you're too nice
Old 03-27-2003, 12:19 AM   #94
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yeh, it doesn't usually work out for me, either. But whaddya gonna do.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:22 AM   #95
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by Nothing But Net
I am not a dick... I am, a MAN!
I have given this a lot of consideration, NBN, and no, you are not A dick, you HAVE a dick.

Didja see ... she called me "effeminate"!!!

I think that's actually the first time that has ever happened.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
Old 03-27-2003, 12:32 AM   #96
Nothing But Net
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
I have given this a lot of consideration, NBN, and no, you are not A dick, you HAVE a dick.
and I'm glad that makes you smile
Old 03-27-2003, 06:42 AM   #97
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Oh lookit, a thread I would have deleted except people are replying to it.
Um... is it too late to apologise for replying?
Old 03-27-2003, 08:39 AM   #98
Ike_is_my_Cat
Kicking Names and Taking Ass.

the offer still stands to design your logo for $125.

the $50 prize does not fall in line with any graphic design pricing trends and for that price the best you'd get would probably be an Olive Garden kids menu with the website name written in crayon.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:50 AM   #99
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Quote:
Originally posted by antibitch
First, let me introduce myself. My name is antibitch, and I'm an anti-holic.
Seems as though there's nothing "anti" about it.
Quote:
Along the same lines of antibitch's post
whine whine whine, gripe gripe gripe. You hurt my man, I'm out for blood... etc
Maybe if he had bothered to participate in the community (even as minimally as I do), people wouldn't have been so quick to jump him. Same goes for you. I don't recall my first post here, but I guarantee that it was not a raving diatribe that UT's forum is some bass-ackward community with mauve title bars. Get over yourself and your man's lack of GD. And I'm sure Jeni's twice as hot as you think you are.

ps- which Dwellar won the 50?
Old 03-27-2003, 09:07 AM   #100
Ike_is_my_Cat

Dear Miss AntiBitch,

Quote:
Kevin of Betamonkey is a blathering, unemployed blockhead...
Wait, no I'm not you egregiously mistaken whore. I am far from unemployed, balancing a 50 hour/week full-time job with 30 hours of freelance interspersed between binge sessions of PBR and working a Soup Kitchen for the homeless and down-trodden of Memphis. If you would have peered into your thesaurus a little deeper you would have noticed that "Atavistic Throwback" is redundant, and actually not an insult-- yeah, I'm kickin' it old school.

Quote:
who can't afford to donate time to make his web server payments
What webserver payments? I host my own, sunshine.

But you know, you're kinda hot when you're all angry. Gettin' you all worked up and steamy... girl I'd roll you in gravy and sop you up with a biscuit.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:11 AM   #101
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by Ike_is_my_Cat
Gettin' you all worked up and steamy... girl I'd roll you in gravy and sop you up with a biscuit.
Do you also write blues lyrics?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
Old 03-27-2003, 09:33 AM   #102
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Didja see ... she called me "effeminate"!!!
*does his best Tom Jones imitation* SHE'S A LADY!!! WHOA! OH! OH!
Old 03-27-2003, 01:05 PM   #103
And
Conjunction

Angry Antibitch's Antibitching (what a hypocrite)

Since so many of the other board members are willing to extend the hand of diplomacy, please allow me to be to take a stance on the other side, and let you know how sorely offended by your bland and unthinking rants I am.

I do not have a webpage. Why? Because I don't have time for a webpage. I do graphic design for a print company, not a website. On a daily basis, DAILY BASIS, mind you, I must eat TOTAL SHIT like what the ol' Webscalpel has on his web site:
Inept image handling ("I got this little picture off the Internet last night. Could you blow it up to poster sized?").
Half-assed design knowledge ("I made this on MicroSoft Publisher" "I'm sorry ma'am, we don't have MicroSoft Publisher, we can't open your file" "Oh... Could you try anyway?").
Kooky font fun ("Here. I found this in an old magazine from 1977. Can you match this font?").
Borrowed content("Well, his name's Jerry and mine's Tom, so I thought it'd be great if you could put the cartoon characters on our card.").

The work I have to clean up from the never-ending flow of UTTER MORONS who bring work in to my company takes me hours to fix sometimes, but they just HAVE to have it. I don't get paid nearly as much as some of the other people here at the Celler do for their graphic work. As a matter of fact, due to circumstances that currently force me to stay, I get paid SHIT for this work. Total fucking jippage.

I have a college education, an innate talent for understanding computers, and years of experience with the appropriate software. I have been given crap jobs and turned them into fucking GOLD. And then your Hero Boyfriend comes here, to this web forum which I value for its intellectual and information exchange, and tries to be all cute and commercial on the forum. He offers LESS money than I get paid for such a logo design. So. I. Laugh.

If he had come here and just said, "Hey, I'm in need of a logo. Is anyone feeling charitable?" I'm sure several graphic artists and designers would be at least somewhat interested in doing something just for recognition. But no, he drops in out of nowhere, plants his little flag and expects people to flock to his brave new world. Fuck that.

I don't feel the slightest guilt at mocking your boyfriend for making a clear and utter fool of himself because he made his post without thinking, without tact, and without a basis of skill to stand on. And I don't feel the slightest guilt mocking you. You two are just another pair in the long line of twits I encounter while I'm on the job. So go fuck your passive-agressive self.

Last edited by And; 03-27-2003 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:09 PM   #104
Ike_is_my_Cat

can I get a witness?

Amen.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:20 PM   #105
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I am honored. Honored, and confused.

Quote:
Originally posted by antibitch
for Griff (by day a dimwit, by night a dimwit), and especially for SteveDallas (who is probably incapable of mentally handling much besides melons).
Honored, because I received pride-of-place at the end of The Roll of Shame(tm), with an "especially" thrown in. What a wonderful notice!! My agent (if I had one) (which is to say if some agent were enough of a clueless idiot to waste his or her time trying to peddle my measly self) could not have negotiated any better placement and billing.

And confused, because my one meager tiny contribution to this thread was so innocuous, so insignificant, that I can't imagine it left that much of an impression. (Indeed, I didn't even remember what I had written, but I figured it must have been something pretty damned scathing to receive such a rebuke. Imagine my disappointment.)

So, what do I have to say about all this?? hmmm.

It's been approximately 17 years since I made my first contribution to an online discussion group. Although that probably beats out everybody else here except for one or two folks, that doesn't mean that I'm better than anybody else or know more. What it does mean is that I've seen a lot of shit go down. And I've seen a lot of first-time posts. And oh, have I seen the flamage.

A mature discussion forum (at well over a decade in its various incarnations, the Cellar surely qualifies) naturally develops its own customs, its own cohesiveness. Newbies are always challenged to move themselves into the group. While different groups have different dynamics, the challenge of the newbie to integrate into the group is a given, and there are some things that almost never work.

One of them is asking a question that is covered in the FAQ or was discussed into the ground last week. It's annoying and it shows you didn't even try.

Another one is saying, "hi I'm new here" (and nothing else). While different groups have different tolerance for this, the sure way to make your way in is to contribute something to the discussion. And "I'm new here" contributes nothing. Everybody who visits more often than once a month will know you're new as soon as you open your mouth.

Another one is anything that smacks of trying to get other folks to do your work for you. The classic case of this is, of course, the request for homework assistance: "I have to do a report on how ethernet switches are more efficient than hubs. Can somebody help me?"

There are probably folks who would say The Cellar is hostile to newbies. Having been a newbie once (I'm now becoming curious as to what my first post was back in 1991), I can assure any newbies reading this that we are not sitting around waiting for newbies to post so we can flame them to crisps. On the contrary.... we're here because we find the stuff that other folks write here entertaining and/or thought-provoking. (You may find it to be neither, in which case I respectfully submit that this means you're probably not going to enjoy it here. This is not bad, any more than it's bad to say that people bored silly by paper folding shouldn't join the Origami Society.) So, generally, we love it when new folks show up.

All you have to do is say something. Contribute. Contradict somebody. (Preferably with some facts to back up your position.) Agree with somebody. (Preferably while expanding on the point; don't just say "me too".) Just join the conversation. You'll be fine.

Last edited by SteveDallas; 03-27-2003 at 02:24 PM.