The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-07-2006, 08:36 PM   #181
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
snip You also seem extremely ignorant of the scientific method. snip

snip He then has to find a statistically acceptable number of patients with the same symptoms. Once he's done that, he and his grad students have to do research involving a double blind study that will be acceptable to a scientific, peer reviewed journal such as JAMA.
JAMA accepts the paper for publication and it comes out 6 months later. The government finally adds the condition to its list of disabling conditions 5 years later.

Marichiko, I believe you stated you were a librarian? For thirty years? How current is your molecular biology? There could be more than one reason that people are not racing to consult you on scientific matters.

Case reports are written on patients with very rare diseases; there is no need to find an 'acceptable number of patients with the same symptoms' before reporting something new. Clinical studies are structured in different ways. While the double blind prospective study is the gold standard, not everything can be studied that way. There are many other study types that are acceptable to peer-reviewed journals.

Your summary of how the research world works is out in left field. A little less posturing on what constitutes a 'scientist' or the 'scientific method' would become you better.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #182
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

9th, let me tell you that even if your intention wasn't to be rude, rude is what you've been.

That in part is what I meant when I said you should think about things before you go ahead and post them. They're confrontational and derogatory. If I were rkz, I'd be offended by the way you've posed your questions.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:07 PM   #183
marichiko

Personally, after the responses I have been met with by some members of this board, I don't blame RK for his reticence. I have gone into stunning detail, cited scientific studies, etc., etc., only to have my words ignored and the same tired old accusations made of me. There are certain people here whose minds are firmly closed. Its like trying to discuss religion with a fundamentalist - a complete waste of time and energy.

No one else around here has the demand placed upon them that they share their medical records, their private information, or been asked to give every last detail of their personal lives.

Why should RK or I be any different? 9th engineer claims to be a student. Why don't I demand that he post copies of his college transcripts, along with his real name and social security number to prove it?

LJ claims to be a finance manager at a car dealership. Why doesn't he post his real name, his resume and the name and phone number of the manager of the dealership he works for to prove it?

If you treat a person with hostility and contempt, why are you surprised when they don't open up to you?

Orthodoc, I appreciate your input into the discussion thus far. I have no desire for people to race to me for scientific information. My course work was too long ago, and I am not as capable of researching the scientific publications as I once was.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe case reports are often one page brief articles of an unusual situation a physician or researcher has encountered. Case reports do not make the list of medically accepted disabilities that social security uses when making its decisions on whether to award a claiment disability benefits or not.

And thank you for a well deserved reminder that I am NOT the know/all and be/all of scientific publishing criteria.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:44 PM   #184
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
LJ claims to be a finance manager at a car dealership. Why doesn't he post his real name, his resume and the name and phone number of the manager of the dealership he works for to prove it?
i'm pretty sure i've done all of that at one time or another. why not just ask UT who sold and financed his truck for him? Richlevy has visited my former employer.

i don;t think anyone has seriously questioned or doubted your medical condition. it's just your usage of it.

funny when elspode uses his son as an example of how people are mean to disabled people........at work. and you think it defends your position.

i thought you were not posting to this thread anymore? or did you forget that too? aren;t you late for your nap?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:02 AM   #185
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
i don;t think anyone has seriously questioned or doubted your medical condition. it's just your usage of it.
yes they have.

Quote:
funny when elspode uses his son as an example of how people are mean to disabled people........at work. and you think it defends your position.
yes it did.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:10 AM   #186
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
They are not isolated from each other, it is a genetic issue, not so easy to show in short-hand (they system is set-up to deny complex disorders) and how do you know so much about this? I have not discussed my disorder in detail here... you assume much, as ever.

I have, and will not, discuss all of my disorders or how I know about other's experiences with different types of illness.
There is a lot of the last acceptable prejudice in here...
Whoa, chill out. What prejudice?
I don't see anyone questioning your problems, only how you determined it is genetically based. Apparently you feel it is a genetic condition because of family history rather than a medical determination by doctors, that are stumped.
I'm sure you're aggravated by the system, that won't accept that determination and is trying to stuff you in several pigeon holes at once. But, that's not our fault, we're not them.
There's no reason to be defensive here. There's nobody on this board that's going to effect you life one way or the other.

If you don't want to discuss it that's your privilege, but if you bring it up, it's unreasonable to expect people not to ask questions. After all, that's what the board is about, topics of discussion.

Medical conditions that are named, have to be described in detail and parameters established to determine if any other case falls in the same category or is something else.... perhaps something new.
Because the insurance companies will try to nit pick, the doctor naming the condition has to dot every i and cross every t. That means a lot of time and effort, taking time away from actually treating patients. It would be reasonable to expect some doctors to concentrate on treating patients rather than writing papers for medical journals.

Peace out, we're not the enemy.... ok?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #187
Isis
Questionist

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen so many people with axes to grind in one place, or as many people willing to get in over their heads and make obvious fools of themselves.
Marichiko, you are a librarian and you're trying to tell a Bioengineer he has his stuff wrong??!? Are you really prepared to go head to head with both of us to back that up? You don't even have the training to know the basics of ANY of the topics you mentioned. I don't care how much google searching you do or how many hours you spend reading WebMD.com, you still do not know enough to question either of us.
Rzkenrage, cool your heels man. 9th isn't trying to insult you. You made a pretty huge claim and then said that there was information in our database explaining more about it. 9th wanted to read it, you said no, he got angry. Everyone I know in our department has a hyperactive sense of skepticism, if you raise even the tiniest red flag or say something that trips a switch somewhere we're going to go after it. It's just part of what they teach us. I wouldn't mind reading it myself once we finish up with finals this week (5 finals, last on friday at 6pm ).
@9th: Maybe you should go easier on the House re-runs for a bit.
Isis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #188
marichiko

Hmmm... Isis, I suggest you get to know the board a little better before you start making condescending comments to the folks who have been around for a while. Where did YOU get your degree from and what's your field?

Sure, I'll go head to head with you. What would you like to start with?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:47 AM   #189
Flint
Snowflake

A plane is standing on a runway that can move, like a giant treadmill. When the plane's engines throttle up, it begins to move forward, but the treadmill is made to match the forward speed of the plane, only in the opposite direction. So, as the plane moves forward, it moves backwards beneath the aircraft. As the engines throttle up, does the plane take off?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:35 AM   #190
Griff
still says videotape

My thought exactly.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:12 AM   #191
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
A plane is standing on a runway that can move, like a giant treadmill. When the plane's engines throttle up, it begins to move forward, but the treadmill is made to match the forward speed of the plane, only in the opposite direction. So, as the plane moves forward, it moves backwards beneath the aircraft. As the engines throttle up, does the plane take off?
As I see it, the treadmill is a metaphor for the course of life which we all must run. The airplane wings are humor which give everyone a lift. The engines are your determination and energy. All these factors interact together just as in life. So, as you can clearly see, the correct answer is 42.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:10 PM   #192
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
As I see it, the treadmill is a metaphor for the course of life which we all must run. The airplane wings are humor which give everyone a lift. The engines are your determination and energy. All these factors interact together just as in life. So, as you can clearly see, the correct answer is 42.

But it was the wrong question, darling......