The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #316
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

We're just an experiment for the aliens of which I speak. I am one of their prime subjects. I'll get a job. Even aliens need humor, right?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #317
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I'm not worried about a hurricane. worst case scenario is that they have to remove the cap entirely and leave the area for several days while the hurricane passes through. That will increase the spill for those days, which is bad, but it's not like they are collecting all the oil spilling out anyway.
I thought the danger of a hurricane in the area was not to the cleanup crew themselves, but rather that the hurricane would basically blow all that surface oil inland, pouring sludge-rain on everything.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #318
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I'll get a job. Even aliens need humor, right?
Thinking of a rat inside an aquarium running on a spinning wheel.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #319
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
There. That's better.
Glatt, you must make a zazzle shirt of that. It will make you millions of $
srsly
Old 07-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #320
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Thinking of a rat inside an aquarium running on a spinning wheel.
Is there water in the aquarium, or just some of that gerbil stuff?
Old 07-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #321
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I thought the danger of a hurricane in the area was not to the cleanup crew themselves, but rather that the hurricane would basically blow all that surface oil inland, pouring sludge-rain on everything.
A nice infographic in the Post today said that if a hurricane hit, the recovery effort could be suspended for as much as two weeks as they break the equipment down, wait it out, and then set it up again. It said that all the wave action would accelerate the breaking up of the oil. And it said that depending on if the center of the storm was to the West or East of the slick, it would either push the oil in to land or blow it back out to sea, respectively.

So it's a mixed bag.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #322
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I don't see how it would push it out to sea. It would seem that the storm would have to originate from land towards the middle of the gulf.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #323
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I don't see how it would push it out to sea.
Hurricanes spin counter-clockwise. If the hurrican is south or west of the oil, then where does the oil go?

Maybe the pumps in New Orleans need to be oiled?
Old 07-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #324
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

wonderful list of excuses, bravo.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #325
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

shush
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #326
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Rush Limbaugh logic remains alive and well. Apparently this reporter also knew Saddam had WMDs.
Insult...

Quote:
We know the source of this problem. It was created when top management openly encouraged reckless procedures at the expense of intelligent thought and despite what the engineers were saying.
Agreed.
Quote:
We know these management policies of optimizing profits are directly traceable to attitude and knowledge on and before 2008. When even sexting parties were all but encouraged by the administration. When all responsibility in all industries (including autos, finance, science and research, and military contractors) was subverted and discouraged.
LSD trip.
Quote:
We also know well proven solutions are two drilling operations. That will intercept the well in late August or early September.
Yup, old news.
Quote:
And we know when BP tried to stop one of these drills, the White House personally intervened to make sure both drills were operating. So that at least one would intercept the well ASAP.
Cite please.
Quote:
And yet extremists would still blame Obama - for the same reasons they knew Saddam had WMDs?
'nother windowpane...
Quote:
We also know the LA, MS, and FL coast damage was an inevitable conclusion well over a month ago. That no skimming, booms, dispersants, etc would avert this damage that had to be averted many years ago.
Quantifying that damage and minimizing it to the best of our ability also was an obvious fact. What are you talking about with the damage aversion years ago tangent?
Quote:
We know BP even lied about the size of the leak. And can understand why they would lie for months.
Yup - nothing new here. . . common knowledge.

Quote:
But Limbaugh logic would blame Obama - as any wacko extremist would routinely do. And forget to mention the sexting parties ongoing when the White House openly encouraged corruption - including the world's largest corruption scandal - K Street. But we should blame Obama.
If you read any of my posts, you know damn well that, I too hold BP responsible for the leak. The clean up et all. is what lays upon the feet of Mr. Obama and his administration - not the last one or any other. They are charged with that responsibility.

Quote:
Somehow we are to believe that earth was intact for a million years. And that suddenly it has numerous three mile deep factures? Fractures created by BP? And this is Obama's fault? With fiction after myth believed, no wonder Saddam had WMDs. There is only one way to describe such nonsense. A head that is doing the thinking lies between two legs. It is where Limbaugh logic is generated. It is where political agendas originate - including Saddam's WMDs.
Please, if humanly possible, explain whatever it is you are talking about here, in plain english.

Quote:
The well proven solutions should achieve their objectives in late August or early September.
Again, old news.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #327
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Quote:
We also know the LA, MS, and FL coast damage was an inevitable conclusion well over a month ago. That no skimming, booms, dispersants, etc would avert this damage that had to be averted many years ago.
If you read any of my posts, you know damn well that, I too hold BP responsible for the leak. The clean up et all. is what lays upon the feet of Mr. Obama and his administration - not the last one or any other. They are charged with that responsibility.
To post extremist rhetoric, you must deny who is completely responsible for the clean up. BP. Which is why BP, et al submit plans for how they will clean up every spill. And why the government had to step in and do BP's job. BP did what any corrupt company does. Buy off the regulators. Including those sexting parties that you refuse to acknowledge - because those parties expose the facility of a political agenda.

Corruption openly encouraged especially after 2000 when even lawyers rewrote science papers and K-Street was this nation's worst corruption scandal. When even torture was openly endorsed. And when hundreds of innocent men were held in Guantanamo because a political agenda is more important than honesty. These are more reasons why you blame Obama - even deny whose failure required government intervention - including the White House ordering the restart of that second drilling rig.

You are lying. The cleanup is Obama's fault only where Rush Limbaugh lies are promoted. BP created a spill so large that no successful cleanup is possible. Once BP had no plans to stop the leak, then no successful clean up is possible. BP even lied about the size of that flow so as to avoid a major problem: BP did not have the clean up plans or abilities they were required to have.

When your politics is driven by rhetoric, then everyone must remember what that same logic created - Saddam's WMDs. It only insults you because you do not want to admit why you bought into that overt lie. And why a moderate who needs facts before having a conclusion saw through that myth. When you post extremist rhetoric, I will remind you how many good American soldiers were massacred only for another extremist lie.

Obama is not responsible for the cleanup. BP is. Obama is involved because BP openly lied and did what was encouraged at the highest levels of government especially in 2000 through 2008. When do you admit to those sexting parties throughout 2000 thru 2008: an example of working a political agenda rather than for America. Somehow the adminstration did not know until newspapers exposed it? Bull. Many of the same corrupt MMS people were left in those jobs. So corrupt that when the adminstration asked for information about deep sea drilling, those people could not mention how often BOP fail at those depths. Sexting parties were typical when management would even lie about Saddam's WMDs.

Failures directly traceable to citizens who support extremists political agendas rather than America. Which one do you support? Blaming Obama is a perfect example of support for an extremist political agenda. What Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, et al tell disciples what to believe.

Why were all oil companies required to submit their clean up plans? Why were all oil companies - and not the government - required to have equipment to peform that clean up? Oh. According to classicman and Limbaugh, it was all Obama's fault.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #328
classicman

I didn't see the link to support your claims... again.

Lets try to lose the rhetoric and the name calling - shall we? I asked you to support your points not dribble on about a decade ago, nor Vietnam, WMD's, your hero Rush Limbaugh (Whom you obviously listen to/watch) or any extremist viewpoints.
Try again. Just post the substantiating link.
thanks.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #329
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Buy off the [government] regulators
Seems to be pervasive issue.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #330
classicman

Buying off regulators has been a major problem for decades. Its similar to lobbyists buying the politicians.

Quote:
A Navy blimp has started looking for oil and distressed wildlife in the Gulf of Mexico.

The Coast Guard commander of the operation, Tony Lombardi, said Sunday that initial flights are over the coast of Alabama, but the missions will be expanded as needed and as the weather allows.

Observers are typically operating from an altitude of 300 to 500 feet in the 178-foot-long airship, which can come to an almost complete stop. Lombardi says the crew will radio directly to boats below when they see oil or wildlife that needs attention.

So far, the blimp has spotted problems with boom that needed repairs. It's operated by a Navy contractor and staffed by the Coast Guard.