The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2001, 04:56 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

They've discovered an underwater volcano off the coast of Oregon. This is not it, but this is one just like it.

There is more volcanic activity underwater than there is above ground. Scientists are excited about the on near Oregon because it will offer them the opportunity to study the microscopic bacteria that thrive in the unique, temporary living conditions that such activity boils out.
Old 04-11-2001, 11:30 PM   #2
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Oh yeah, I can see it now:

"Attention all W.H.O.I. marine biologists here in Oregon, the next ferry to the shore leaves at 4:15 p.m., signups for the group outing to Yellowstone are in the main lobby, congratulations to Steven De LaVegga on the birth of his new son Anthony Michael De LaVegga, and the volcano is erupting now so WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!"

If anyone can tell me who I sampled that bit from, you have good taste in comedy.

~Mike
Old 04-20-2001, 08:26 AM   #3
drin
Person Who Has Posted

[quote]Originally posted by Chewbaccus
[b]Oh yeah, I can see it now:

"Attention all W.H.O.I. marine biologists here in Oregon, the next ferry to the shore leaves at 4:15 p.m., signups for the group outing to Yellowstone are in the main lobby, congratulations to Steven De LaVegga on the birth of his new son Anthony Michael De LaVegga, and the volcano is erupting now so WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!"</b>

Ummm, I can't tell you the attribution of the quote, but I <b>can</b> tell you after three years of working in W.H. (that's Woods Hole) that WHOI has very few marine biologists. WHOI folks are oceanographers by and large - if you want marine biologists you go three miles down the road to the Marine Biological Laboratory. It's the original science facility in the area, and it's the parent organization to WHOI, which was a spin off shortly before WWI....

-drin
Closed Thread