The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 10-19-2006, 03:18 AM   #1
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Cats Peeing Everywhere???

Well, they are family, so I am parenting them...

I have 2 Devon Rex's that I adopted (2 females), they are Mother and Daughter and we were co-existing nicely....until....they started peeing EVERYWHERE!!!!

I mean nothing is sacred, they've peed on my ironing board (wtf?), down the front of my wardrove mirror, the kitchen table and countless other places. They did pee on the phone bill, but the dude I spoke to on the phone didnt find that a suitable reason for not paying my bill on time.

They have clean kitty litter and have been here for 5-6 weeks....any ideas??? Its driving me friggen spare!!!
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
Flint
Snowflake

Cats aren't domesticated - either they want to live inside, or they don't. A peeing cat is an "outside" cat.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:07 AM   #3
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts
....any ideas???...
A cork?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

they are settling in to their new home, probably "marking" it in some weird way. do you make sure to feed them in the same place all the time and ensure you dont move their litter around.

when you move a cat to a new home one every few hours for a few days you should take them to the clean litter and put them in the tray. grab their paws and make them "scratch" around a bit so they get the feel for it and get comfy with it.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

This is the only way the cats have to speak with you. They are telling you they are unhappy with something. Here are my suggestions:

1. There is a possibility they have an internal problem going on. I think it unlikely that BOTH kitties have developed a urinary tract infection, but it is slightly possible. A vet check and blood test will rule out any health concerns.

2. There is some manner of the household routine they are protesting against. What has changed? New family member? Different food? New furniture? Different work/hours schedule?

3. They are feeling threatened in some manner and are marking their territory. Is there an outside cat that comes by the windows and taunts them?

4. They do not like the brand of cat litter in their box, the box isn't clean enough or they do not feel 'safe' in their box when they potty.

I have 8 housecats and they all get along. One has to have special potty-box considerations because he is losing motor control of his hind legs and cannot stand/squat in the cat litter so I keep a tray with a towel in it for him and change it out when I see it wet. We also had incidents of 'marking' and it was due to a neighbor's cat coming into the yard and sitting in front of the window, trying to attack my housecats through the window. Hose has mostly cured that cat from coming around.
Buy an enzymatic pet accident cleaner and use a blacklight to locate all areas of pee for cleanup. If you can remove the pheromones of the urine and find and eliminate the cause of the peeing, the kitties won't be so quick to return to their 'pee-spots' and resume spraying.

A last resort would be to close the kitties into a room (bathroom) with litter and food and only let them out into the house when they can be supervised by you...until they show they can restrain themselves.
I have plans on asking hubby to make a cat-kennel outside so my kitties can enjoy outdoor weather and fresh air. I do think it would make them happier. We just have to think of how to make it look functional, yet attractive...
Old 10-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I second what HH said... cats pee everywhere when they're (excuse the pun) pissed off at something.

I have personally seen three different cats start peeing all over their owner's homes when they were forced to become inside cats after being raised as outside cats. Where did you adopt them from?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Oh thanks guys.

They were *cat cage* cats. An older lady used to breed them and when she passed on her hubbie didnt have the time (or inclination) to keep the cats.

It might be a combination of things......the litter, they were used to clumping and I weaned them onto Crystals...back to clumping for a while and see what happens. One of my outside cats has been making a fair bit of noise at the doors - she's gone now (was just babysitting her) and I think the Mother might have a tummy prob...shes hunchy this morning.

Thanks!!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
Brett's Honey
whatever

My tomcat faithfully used his litterbox or went outside, until I acquired another cat...and she had kittens...everything that I read said the litterbox wasn't clean enough for him, so he was peeing everywhere but there. I started cleaning the litterbox twice daily and he started using it and going outside again. I got rid of all but one other cat, he's still never done that again.

Edited to say - and he was peeing in some strange place, like on my step-daugther's shoes, in clean clothes, on my son's bed, on my bed....etc.
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #9
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

What do you do if they are peeing everywhere when you got a new cat? How do you stop it without getting rid of the extra kitty? Because I am having some problems with this, and I don't know what to do.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Cats, I understand, will pee where they have peed ... if there is a product similar to "Urine Gone" or "Nature's Miracle" that will take the enzymes and therefore the smell, out of where they've gone, you should have a fighting chance at controlling the behavior. One friend of mine did her own "territory marking" by using a weak solution of white vinegar.

I know someone who had a devon rex. After she marked the perimeter of every room in the house, she settled down and stopped peeing anywhere but her litterbox.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:00 PM   #11
rkzenrage

Yup, enzymes... until then, back into the cage.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:24 PM   #12
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Thanks Wolf, I will have a look for one of those products today and then go about fixing this problem.

I cant stand it much longer!!
Old 10-21-2006, 02:23 AM   #13
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I had the same problem with my cats when I moved house. They seem to have settled down now so that's good. Bloody filthy animals were pretty close to being evicted I tell you!
Old 10-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #14
marichiko

I, too, have had the problem of pissy cats. Usually, they were no longer kittens when I adopted them, or there was already another cat around causing terrirorial problems.

There is a product on the market that you can buy at most any pet store (sorry I forget the name, but the sales staff will know what you mean). In severe cases you cage the cat in a large crate with his litter pan with that special stuff sprayed in the pan. After that, you can confine him to one room with treated litter pan. After about a week, you let him into the rest of the house, but still treat the litter pan. Worked like a charm for me.

Say, maybe we SHOULD have a pets' forum!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:56 AM   #15
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Marichiko do you mean Feliway? It's a cat pheremone spray, and helps cats feel they are in a safe place, which can reduce the incidences of inappropriate peeing. I bought a plug in diffuser for my flat and it seems to have worked (hard to say without a control of course)

Either way I've been lucky in rehoming my 2 - they've not missed the litter tray once. Although I'm heading home with a new bag in a few minutes (I am close to being completely out, and the only petshop within walking distance ran out of the brand I've been using) so I may regret boasting about this.