The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #31
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I want to grow up and be like those guys who are The Crystal Method, who must be making a fucking fortune off their music in commercials, movies, & tv shows like CSI.
This is correct. I want to be Fatboy ("Funk Soul Brother") Slim.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #32
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Any IBM commercial implying that servers "fix themselves" and that little work, if any, needs to be done to keep them running.

On the work topic, I'll add all the PDA commercials that imply that people would just love to be connected to the office around the clock so they can answer e-mails 24 hours a day. Aren't you just dieing for a blackberry so that you can become a multitasker so amazing that your boss will wonder "just how many of you there are"?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:06 AM   #33
JuancoRocks
Sir Post-A-Lot

Commercials you Hate

Commercials? What commercials?....With Tivo and 3X fast forward I rarely see commercials. I can't watch live Tv any longer..Just let Tivo get a half hour ahead and ff to the good spots. Watch an hour show in 40 minutes. Speed viewing at it's finest.

However. the new Keystone ads are pretty funny.

Any car commercial that I do see is usually irritating.

Sometimes the drug ads are worth watching, just for the long list of side effects, which are usually worse than the ailment they are supposed to treat.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:12 PM   #34
Drax
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
The Geico "so easy a caveman can do it" commercials? Love or hate? Cause I find them funny. :p
So do I. They're actually quite brilliant, and a lot better than that damn sitcom.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #35
Drax
Banned

Those damn PSAs from Truth.com. Fortunately, they're not being aired much anymore. Of course, I did recently see one on The N.

I don't even smoke, yet I find them extremely annoying.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #36
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drax View Post
Those damn PSAs from Truth.com.
I love those commercials. They are no-bullshit & straight in your face.
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #37
Drax
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I love those commercials.
One of the few, buddy. Every frakkin' stunt they do is waaaay over the top.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #38
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

But don't you like that they call out every freakin cigarette company on all the lies & BS they've been spouting?
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #39
Drax
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
But don't you like that they call out every freakin cigarette company on all the lies & BS they've been spouting?
What I don't like is that THEY'RE doing what is the sole responisibity of any caring parent.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:36 PM   #40
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Things you need to know:

- It's funded by Philip Morris partly as a result of the Master Settlement Agreement, in which big tobacco companies paid $206 Billion for all the BS they spouted; this campaign is one thing being paid for by tobacco;

and
Quote:
Hye-Jin Paek, an assistant professor at the University of Georgia's College of Journalism and Mass Communication, and Albert Gunther, a professor of life sciences communication at the University of Wisconsin at Madison, analyzed data from surveys that asked middle school students about their exposure to anti-smoking messages and their intention to smoke:
They found that, overall, the more the students were exposed to anti-smoking messages, the more inclined they were to smoke. The exception—where exposure to anti-smoking ads correlated with a reduced intention to smoke—occurred among students who said their friends were influenced by anti-smoking messages.
Generally speaking, Paek and Gunther conclude, "the ads appear to stimulate the rebellious and curious nature of youth, making them more interested in smoking."
You see what they did there? Tobacco can't be advertised on television -- it's illegal. But anti-tobacco ads featuring militant media-created youngsters striking back against smoking, that's fair game. So only the kids who hate the ad or are disillusioned and disenchanted with big media messages, will consider smoking. I.e., most of them.

It's almost like tobacco noticed that the anti-drug ads failed whatsoever to stop teen drug usage, and said, hey, let's get a piece of that action. It doesn't matter if they say we suck and we kill everyone and that we're deeply evil. The culture is all about the evil now; just being on the agenda we get 20%.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #41
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drax View Post
One of the few, buddy. Every frakkin' stunt they do is waaaay over the top.
I, too, am one of the few.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #42
jester
why so serious

Vonage commercials - that sound is so annoying
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #43
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Things you need to know:

- It's funded by Philip Morris partly as a result of the Master Settlement Agreement, in which big tobacco companies paid $206 Billion for all the BS they spouted; this campaign is one thing being paid for by tobacco;

and

You see what they did there? Tobacco can't be advertised on television -- it's illegal. But anti-tobacco ads featuring militant media-created youngsters striking back against smoking, that's fair game. So only the kids who hate the ad or are disillusioned and disenchanted with big media messages, will consider smoking. I.e., most of them.

It's almost like tobacco noticed that the anti-drug ads failed whatsoever to stop teen drug usage, and said, hey, let's get a piece of that action. It doesn't matter if they say we suck and we kill everyone and that we're deeply evil. The culture is all about the evil now; just being on the agenda we get 20%.
Damn. That's bloody brilliant in a deviously evil kind of way. Gotta admire the cunning. Bastards.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #44
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Zoom Zoom boy commercials from Subaru drive me insane. I also can't stand any Pizza Hut commerical.

I do LOVE infomercials. They suck me in for hours to the point of temptation where I pick up the phone to dial away for some piece of garbage and then I quickly snap back to reality.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:26 PM   #45
Drax
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by melidasaur View Post
I also can't stand any Pizza Hut commerical.

I do LOVE infomercials. They suck me in for hours to the point of temptation where I pick up the phone to dial away for some piece of garbage and then I quickly snap back to reality.
Now that is messed up.

Tags
commercials