The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 01-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #376
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

cool thanks! i'll check it out!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #377
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

ok. i've done shawnee's recipe twice now and am thoroughly satisfied. making them is a bit of a chore but no worries. this is a recipe that will stay with me for the rest of my life. now what i'm looking for is this: another recipe. i love to cook. i love to please people. i love to please people especially through cooking. someone pony up a recipe that is not only awesome but kinda cheap to cook. like 30 bucks or so. when i start working in engineering again then the sky is the limit. i'm still on a budget at the moment. when i do start working again i will post my gumbo. sucker costs about 75 bucks to make and is a royal pain in the ass but worth every dollar and minute. i have not gone back through this thread (i may love to cook but at times..just lazy) SO if you have a recipe that you would like to recommend....please post here. or pm me. prefer posting here so i can share with all. pics will be posted doing said recipe.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #378
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

alright then here's what's for supper tonight.

pork spareribs in a bed and blanket of peppers.

1 red bell pepper sliced
1 yellow bell pepper sliced
3 cloves garlic smashed and diced
1 box mushrooms sliced
3 jalapeño peppers sliced

spice to taste. in this case the spices are:
brown sugar
fresh ground pepper
sea salt
lemon pepper
mccormicks montreal steak seasoning

lay out a long sheet of aluminum foil and use half of the peppers/veggies as a bed. put the ribs on then spice them to taste. after that put the rest of the peppers/veggies on top and wrap it up good. and i mean good. use several sheets of foil. you want it pretty much sealed to hold in the moisture. you can certainly use the oven and if you do set temp at around 250 - 275. you want to slooooow cook this recipe. even slower if you are using beef ribs instead of pork. if beef i recommend 200 deg. you want to cook them at about an hour per pound at these temps. in this case i'm using the grill today. houston weather. ya gotta love it. friday night it was 24 deg. at work. today? upper 50's lower 60's. anyway slow cook the slab for about 2 to 2.5 hours then cut open the top of the foil and remove the ribs and put them on the grill for browning. put peppers/veggies aside for munching on later. that's pretty much it.... damn i love to cook. more pics later. it's on the grill as i type this.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #379
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Sounds YuMMMMY !!

but Ditch the Jalapenos and add some Onions for Me ( yeah I Know yer roomie is ANTI Onion )

Last edited by zippyt; 02-07-2011 at 05:31 PM.
zippyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #380
zippyt

We found Nadia G one Late drunken Nite on the Cooking Channel ,
Here she does V day
Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #381
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt View Post
Sounds YuMMMMY !!

but Ditch the Jalapenos and add some Onions for Me ( yeah I Know yer roomie is ANTI Onion )
yeah very much so or i woulda.

didn't get to finish the pics of it. had to go help my neighbor move a couple refrigerators so i turned the cooking duties over to paul. i will say this....the meat fell off the bone! damn good supper.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #382
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

yesterday our neighbor brought us a cut of venison back strap. so i marinated it in milk, to get rid of the game flavor works well on fish too btw, seasoned it with sea salt fresh ground pepper made slices in the meat to put whole garlic cloves in it and then diced up cloves to sprinkle on top. let it sit overnight in the fridge. cooked on the pit with low heat. o m g. it was scrumptious!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #383
zippyt

Dude SCREW Engineering !!!
You my Friend Need to Open a restaurant !!!
Plthijinx Phine Dining !!!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #384
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I never heard of flautas. From context, they are clearly some form of mexican tortilla wrapped dish.
And I forgot tamales. Which are nasty soft corn tortillas or sometime corn husks.
Lots of flautas around here. They are long and rolled--like a flute, then fried.

tamales are not nasty! they are yum. They are made from a similar dough as corn tortillas, though; the dough is filled, rolled in corn husks, then steamed. Very labor intensive--traditionally made assembly line style by the women for Christmas.

not common knowledge for you folks?
Old 02-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #385
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I would kill for Chile Rellenos. No decent Mexican food to be found in Montana.

My wife is slowly convincing me we need to move to the south west. She wants Albuquerque or Tucson, maybe Phoenix.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #386
zippyt

tamales are not nasty! they are yum.

I couldnt agree More Cloud !!!
Glatt just hasnt had Good Tamales

But Xmas ONLY !!????

Poor You !!!
Old 02-17-2011, 02:03 AM   #387
Galvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Since there didn't seem to be a recipe thread per se, I'll lead off with The Frugal Gourmet's recipe for Bubble-And-Squeak, with some comments. By popular demand among the Cellar's potato fiends...

BUBBLE-AND-SQUEAK

3 unpeeled potatoes, boiled
4 cups cabbage, chopped, blanched
1/2 med yellow onion, peeled, chopped
1 zucchini, grated or julienned
1 carrot, grated or julienned, optional
3 or more slices bacon, browned, chopped; reserve the fat
1/4 cup diced ham or Spam
fresh coarse-ground black pepper, to taste; salt ditto
English-y cheeses to top, optional

Fry the bacon and boil the potatoes, which may be cut up into thirds if you like; blanch the chopped cabbage in the potato water. Mash the potatoes into rough lumps with hands or the bent-wire type of potato masher. Just break them up some, don't reduce them to paste. Add everything else but the reserved bacon fat and stir together in a mixing bowl.

Heat a frying pan of any size that suits; nonstick ones are okay too. Put the bacon fat in the pan and press the potato mixture into the pan after it with a basting spoon or a spatula. Fry the resulting pressed layer of potato mixture until the bottom is golden brown, over medium-low to medium heat. The Froog says half an hour, but this depends on how thick you've loaded the pan. A too-heavy smell of frying potatoes says you're starting to burn it. Loosen it in the pan with the spatula, around the edges and underneath, clap an inverted plate on top of the frying pan and upend the whole thing so the bubble-and-squeak falls out on the plate. Top with a cheese you like, if desired; crumbled, grated, or sliced thin.

I've tried things like adding red pepper, Italian seasoning, or minced garlic, and I'm not convinced they do anything for the dish. Seems like garlic should work; curry powder definitely doesn't. I've added mushrooms this time around -- maybe I need more mushrooms. As for Italian seasoning, perhaps the way to go is with some single green herb rather than a mixture. I suppose anything you like with ham might be considered, but the main seasoning it seems to really need is plenty of black pepper. I haven't tried any radical vegetarian revisions, though olive oil would suggest itself as working with the cabbage. I suppose bacon flavor TVP would make it.

The quantities given are really starting points; this stuff can be made by eye and if you've an extra for dinner you can toss in a little more of everything. Four cups of cabbage is about half a cabbage head. Once the ingredients are prepped, this is a mix-and-heat recipe.
Hi fellow that's the nice one recipe and thanks for sharing that one with all the member's of the forum, keep sharing more one's that in your knowledge and best from healthy point of view.........
Old 02-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #388
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Winkle View Post
I would kill for Chile Rellenos. No decent Mexican food to be found in Montana.

My wife is slowly convincing me we need to move to the south west. She wants Albuquerque or Tucson, maybe Phoenix.
I love a Chile Rellenos! I'll have to make my own, I keep thinking I will, one day. It can't be too difficult.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #389
glatt

You guys are crazy. Most Mexican food is awesome, but Chile Rellenos are just about the worst. My mom used to make it in a casserole form when I was a kid. Blech.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #390
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

But... it's just the same ingredients as all other Mexican food, plus a poblano pepper. If you don't like poblanos, try it stuffed inside a red bell pepper instead.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipes