The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

On being fat

If everyone's personality defects, weaknesses, and addictions actually showed on the body, the people who are currently fat would be considered the least of society's problems.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So you say, fatso.
But you're right, eating too much is only one of my filthy disgusting habits.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
jinx
Come on, cat.

What is excessive weight (see how pc I am) a defect of?
Old 01-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

UT, ain't that the truth. The question I have is just think of how some of those defects, weaknesses, and addictions would present themselves. Well accept for the last one, those actually do manifest themselves physically.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
If everyone's personality defects, weaknesses, and addictions actually showed on the body, the people who are currently fat would be considered the least of society's problems.
Isn't the fatness an indication of these very things though? or is the word everyone's the operative term?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

J: Generally, I think of it as a food addiction. We could define addiction as, roughly, continuing a behavior despite negative consequences. I see the consequences, but I continue to eat too much.

Merc: I started to add that to my first post, but it kinda diminished my main point, so I deleted it. But yeah; imagine if, when you drank too much, your ears turned orange. If you cheated in your relationships, you would develop a limp. If you lied, well obviously, your nose would grow.

Bipolar? Facial tic. Relentlessly an asshole? Over time, your left pinky would wither, and could fall completely off. Have a child and not support it? You get a 2" cone on the top of your head.

Eat too much? You develop a big belly.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Yah, except bipolars aren't curable. In fact they die in some cases trying to take and switch medications in their efforts. They aren't continuing in ugly behavior despite negative consequences. They have a handicap. On top of all the ugly manifestations and symptoms they have to go through on a daily basis you would also wish them a facial tic? Outside of not being able to function properly in most respects (depending on the severity of the diagnosed), you wish they would have a facial tic? Outside of hallucinations they should twitch a little? Like it is just a habit they can just quit one day because it annoys others?

I am rubbing up against the bipolar taboo.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yes, I will include the mentally ill in my menagerie.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

OK fatty.

But my right pinky is starting to wither. Damn it.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
J: Generally, I think of it as a food addiction. We could define addiction as, roughly, continuing a behavior despite negative consequences. I see the consequences, but I continue to eat too much.
Too much of everything, or are you a bread/carb junkie?
link
Quote:
3) WHEAT GLIADIN HAS PHARMACOLOGICAL PROPERTIES
Gliadin can be broken down into various amino acid lengths or peptides. Gliadorphin is a 7 amino acid long peptide: Tyr-Pro-Gln-Pro-Gln-Pro-Phe which forms when the gastrointestinal system is compromised. When digestive enzymes are insufficient to break gliadorphin down into 2-3 amino acid lengths and a compromised intestinal wall allows for the leakage of the entire 7 amino acid long fragment into the blood, glaidorphin can pass through to the brain through circumventricular organs and activate opioid receptors resulting in disrupted brain function.
There have been a number of gluten exorphins identified: gluten exorphin A4, A5, B4, B5 and C, and many of them have been hypothesized to play a role in autism, schizophrenia, ADHD and related neurological conditions. In the same way that the celiac iceberg illustrated the illusion that intolerance to wheat is rare, it is possible, even probable, that wheat exerts pharmacological influences on everyone. What distinguishes the schizophrenic or autistic individual from the functional wheat consumer is the degree to which they are affected.

Quote:
Merc: I started to add that to my first post, but it kinda diminished my main point, so I deleted it. But yeah; imagine if, when you drank too much, your ears turned orange. If you cheated in your relationships, you would develop a limp. If you lied, well obviously, your nose would grow.

Bipolar? Facial tic. Relentlessly an asshole? Over time, your left pinky would wither, and could fall completely off. Have a child and not support it? You get a 2" cone on the top of your head.

Eat too much? You develop a big belly.
I love these, and it seems only fair. Being an asshole should grow you a giant ass though... and I think adultery should affect the sex organs, a limp is too likely to garner sympathy.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Too much of everything, or are you a bread/carb junkie?
I thought your article had a bunch of very good points, but that's not my particular problem. I just eat too much, in search of sensory overload. Too bigga portions, devoured too quickly.

Quote:
and I think adultery should affect the sex organs, a limp is too likely to garner sympathy.
Well this is the sad part; what will happen is that all limps will garner sneers, since the cheating limp will be twenty times more common than the real limp.

There will be the reverse tragedy too: when the real limp person gets a smile and a thumbs-up from the guy with the cheater's limp.

The real limper may come to resent the label, and he may decide to cheat, at least once, so he can at least earn it.

Meanwhile the cheater limpers are coming up with cover stories. "I was in the first Gulf War... I was Agent Orange..." And so their noses get longer.

Now it's a triple tragedy for the real limpers with actual long noses.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:

Well this is the sad part; what will happen is that all limps will garner sneers, since the cheating limp will be twenty times more common than the real limp.

There will be the reverse tragedy too: when the real limp person gets a smile and a thumbs-up from the guy with the cheater's limp.

The real limper may come to resent the label, and he may decide to cheat, at least once, so he can at least earn it.

Meanwhile the cheater limpers are coming up with cover stories. "I was in the first Gulf War... I was Agent Orange..." And so their noses get longer.

Now it's a triple tragedy for the real limpers with actual long noses.
lol @ long noses

We can just do the scarlet letter thing, brand style, then no confusion over limps.

Or if it has to be a physical manifestation the cheaters can swallow a pill that makes a huge blister form on the chest in the letter A.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Anyone see my pinky laying around?

Old 01-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh but if we're going the route where your body develops according to your behavior, men who masturbate too much will develop the "crab syndrome", with one massive forearm. Women who masturbate too much - their fingers will be permanently in a V shape.

And most guys will be big dicks to everybody.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #15
Nirvana
Back in 10

Pontification on eating etc hmmm, that must be some good stuff ya'll are smokin' BTW that stuff gives you the munchies along with all those deep thoughts... just sayin