Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #556
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

"Mildly."

"Irritating."
  • The Great Database Implementation continues at work. People continue to need basic education on the fact that things will not be spoon-fed to them by me, but that they have to take some responsibility for their own operations. In particular, people need to learn to deal in specifics. ("I need to know how this is set up." "Well, there are three different ways you can use it, A, B, or C. Here's what each of them does [blah blah blah explanation]. If you need a different set up we can do a fair amount of customization." "Well, I need to know how it's set up." "Ummm... is there a specific area or feature you have a concern about?" "I just need to understand how it's set up."
  • Also at work, a senior person is departing. Ramifications are unclear, but it's sure to make things extra fun during the inevitable transition period.
  • Also at work, a vendor is shocked, shocked! that we are looking to move their service contract to somebody else. Two service calls ago they had to replace an older server with IDE drives with a newer one with SATA drives. They had no idea how to move the files from an IDE drive to a SATA. The last service call the technician admitted he wasn't up to speed on the software in question and his best advice was to reboot it. "OK, but the real problem is the primary partition is too small. What we really need to know is, was there a reason it was set up that way? Is there any reason we should not resize it?" "Well, I don't really know. Anyway, you can't resize partitions after they've been created."
  • Mrs. Dallas prepares for her performance in England; she leaves in two weeks. The previously announced rehearsal schedule, which was onerous, has been enhanced to the point that it's now torturous. Stateside sendoff performances are this weekend.
  • We're throwing a baby shower for a friend tomorrow. Psychotic house cleaning ensues.
  • On the plus side, the church she was subbing at "just till the end of june" has nobody permanent and she'll be playing there at least into September. Which means more $$$. Which is good, because her summer freelance gig consisted of transcribing "one hour interviews." Unfortunately, the real interviews turned out to be more like 30-35 minutes apiece, which means less $$$ as the pay is per audio minute transcribed.
  • She's now reading off a list of baby shower food ideas. I told her to just stop after she got to the one where you use the potty seat as a jello mold.
  • We have completely succeeded in raising twowhiny, entitled, self-centered children. Yay us.
I'll let you know if anything else comes up, but I'm tired now.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:17 AM   #557
Griff
still says videotape

Sorry man, it sounds like life's crap is starting to accumulate.

If it makes you feel better, this last heat wave may have been the end of our refrigerator.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #558
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Coworkers who don't believe me when I tell them it can't be done. It's my job to do it, and by your own admission I am really damn good at it, so if it could be done, you know I would have found a way. Don't come back with retarded suggestions of things that are not actually even close to feasible as if it had never occurred to me to think of them. It just means you're going to have to pay me extra while I compose a long email explaining the vagaries of pronunciation to you.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #559
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Liars and deceptive, sneaky people
Old 07-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #560
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Coworkers who don't believe me when I tell them it can't be done. It's my job to do it, and by your own admission I am really damn good at it, so if it could be done, you know I would have found a way.
Here! Here! And Amen to that!
I need to keep that as my screen saver. Oh and a line about how you don't get to have my personal cell phone number because it was abused during off hours and not compensated for. So if you are looking for it stop now.....

3 minutes later.....

Aaargh! I just got a call! That's it!! Now I have to turn my phone off when there might be a call I actually want to take.

Last edited by Cicero; 07-25-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #561
Cloud

I feel crappy/sick this afternoon and evening. Am popping acetaminophen and going to sleep. real soon.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #562
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Bitten four times last night.
Itching like buggery.

One on the right cheek (face), one on the outside of my left knee, one on the top of my right foot and one on my right ankle.

Have some cream, but the knee one was under my leggings while I was out today and despite me efforts not to scratch it seems to have been rubbed by my clothes so that it's spread. Feels like any bite - is if there's a shedload of spiders underneath, trying to break their way out through the skin. Itchy and throbby and sore.

Once my camera battery has charged I'll take a pic. Nothing like as bad as the ant bites of course, I'm just a wuss when it comes to bites. It shouldn't happen here! Another reason to despise the summer.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:21 PM   #563
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sorry, I didn't get round to it. And the one on my ankle was SOOOO mutant, you'd have loved it. It was almost spherical - a little cloudy yellow crystal ball...

But it burst while I was minuting the board meeting. I had to keep mopping at it surreptiously with a napkin so it didn't run into my shoes. Now it's an open sore which isn't worth taking pictures of, just like a burst blister.

Luckily I'd already shown it to Deb (chief honcho here) so I can always refer people back to her in future.

I'm faffing about here rather than go home between shifts. I think if I sit down I'll want to blag off the pub and that wouldn't be fair. So I'll stick around here for another 40 mins or so then go home & feed the cats & change the litter tray and go straight to work.

My face is the itchiest right now. Probably because I felt obliged to try & cover it with make-up.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #564
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Surgery prep today. All that clear liquid stuff, and then that other stuff, too. Oh well. I suppose I'd rather be nauseated here at my own home than in a public hospital room, but it sure ain't fun.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #565
Tink
Why oh why?

People that don't understand that I too have an approval process to go through. Should've answered my questions two weeks ago, then they wouldn't be in a bind. No pity, I'm a bitch.
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #566
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Liars and deceptive, sneaky people
Woohoo...the biggest one of those who works here is leaving for higher ground.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #567
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Can't find my damned camera.
I haven't lost it (that would be major upset). I must have brought it home in order to take the battery out - said battery in charger, quite happily charged up.

But where is the camera?
Not anywhere obvious, that's for sure.

I want to show you my amazing technicolor gradiated peacock hair.
Which is slightly irritating of itself, as I would swear up and down that I managed even coverage. But it ranges from bright sea blue-green to navy. Currently too tired to find that much more than interesting and anyway I can have another stab at it tomorrow night.

But what is life without documentation?!
I have never had hair like this before - I want it on record damnit!

Bloody hiding things. Hiding round the house. I'll wallop them when I find them I will. Teach them a lesson for hiding. Stomp, stomp, stomp. Come out and take your medicine!
Old 07-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #568
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

My angioedema. Apparently my thumb itched in the middle of the night, and I scratched it. Now it's swollen to twice its size and itches like a fothermucker. When I straighten it out you can see a distinct line around where the swelling begins and ends, and because the condition is swollen capillaries, my heartbeat is making it fade and redden, fade and redden. It kind of reminds me of ET's heart. Anyway, it's a pain pain pain. I could take benadryl but that makes me sleepy.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:19 AM   #569
lookout123
changed his status to single

I'm irritated that I'm irritated. I have no rational reason for being a crank today but I'm in a seriously pissy mood. I can feel the potential for lashing out just bubbling under the surface and I'm not sure why. Seriously.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:25 PM   #570
Flint
Snowflake

I hate that, lookout. Time to freakin' meditate or something. I play my drums.

@Shawnee: I am sorry about your finger.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mild cheddar