The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #166
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I believe classic crystallized it best, first when he said the refusal of the House to pass a similar bill is because the leadership does not want to acknowledge a political point for their political opponent.

They have LOUDLY made their political point of their own, though. I find their refusal petty.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #167
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
You know, it is possible for grown adults to hear or read a news story and formulate an opinion based solely on facts without having been "manipulated."
You totally missed the point, then.

Somebody, somewhere, actually chooses what is shown on the news. This part, you have no control over.

Your reaction, this discussion, and everything else is completely based on the fact that this was ON THE NEWS TO BEGIN WITH. I ask again. Have you been manipulated? I'm not questioning your ability to interpret a news story. I'm questioning whether this was news to begin with.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #168
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Flint makes an important observation that, having been in the lie-making industry for 30 something years, I can personally corroborate.

What you see as "news" is often not even based on actual events.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #169
Flint
Snowflake

I'm not saying it didn't happen (a lot of things happen). I'm saying: who cares?

If it had no other purpose than to intentionally outrage people, why was it shown? Why were news consumers outraged, and why did this discussion happen? To further the cause of political divisiveness? Mission Accomplished.

Meanwhile, many things that were actually important passed by without comment. The news is largely nonsense.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #170
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I'm not saying it didn't happen (a lot of things happen). I'm saying: who cares?

If it had no other purpose than to intentionally outrage people, why was it shown? Why was this person outraged, and why did this discussion happen? To further the cause of political divisiveness. Mission Accomplished.
I'm not saying you said it didn't happen. I'm saying that what you see on 'the news' is not only chosen by someone with some sort of agenda, it often isn't even fact. And, even in the best of cases it is only one side of a complex story.

As a friend of mine says, "There's what He said, and there's what She said, and there's what really happened."

And I agree about the one purpose being political divisiveness. Another thought I usually have is "Who stands to profit from this story and in what way?" You can usually follow the money trail back to the source.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #171
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
As a friend of mine says, "There's what He said, and there's what She said, and there's what really happened."
Pooka always says "There are THREE sides to every story." Meaning, what your friend said.

Dude, are you banging my wife?

Old 05-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #172
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

doesn't matter.

Jill is gone.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #173
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Pooka always says "There are THREE sides to every story." Meaning, what your friend said.

Dude, are you banging my wife?
Well, there's what she said, and what I say, and what... wait? What? No way man. She's married.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #174
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
doesn't matter.

Jill is gone.
Yeah, she's a real hep cat, daddy-o.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #175
Flint
Snowflake

People are free to make their own decisions.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #176
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
You totally missed the point, then.

Somebody, somewhere, actually chooses what is shown on the news. This part, you have no control over.

Your reaction, this discussion, and everything else is completely based on the fact that this was ON THE NEWS TO BEGIN WITH. I ask again. Have you been manipulated? I'm not questioning your ability to interpret a news story. I'm questioning whether this was news to begin with.
I read the opening post Flint. I read the article and saw the site at which the article is posted. I also read your post addressed directly to Jill.

She may have missed your point. I certainly missed your point. I contend that the reason the point was missed is that you don't really make that point in your post. It is LOUDLY proclaiming about how she came to HEAR about it, and lots OF OTHER STUFF about her state of mind, ESPECIALLY about being MANIPULATED, etc., etc. The point "is this news?" is never made in your first post. That's why it was missed.

Quote:
And you just so happen to some by the knowledge that this happened. Insignificant as you admit it is, you just happen to have heard about it. Not as though you had time to comb through a massive catalogue of the day's events from around the world, is it? Something more like, you turned on the TV/Radio or opened a newspaper and this OUTRAGE this BLOOD-BOILING OUTRAGE just, coincidentally (because nobody really plans what's in the news, do they?) just coincidentally happened to enter into your conciousness and induce this MOTHERFUCKING OUTRAGE AT THESE GODDAMN BASTARDS WHO ARE AT IT AGAIN!!!1 But of course you're not being manipulated or anything. You CHOSE to know about this, right? This pointless event which means nothing to you, and couldn't have possibly had any substantive effect on anything, ever. You CHOSE (right?) to be SO GODDAMN OUTRAGED at this non-event that there was no purpose in you hearing about. But of course, you're not being manipulated.

Right?
You even go so far as contradict yourself in your following post.

Quote:
I ask again. Have you been manipulated?
--OR--
Quote:
I'm not questioning your ability to interpret a news story.
Which one is it? Are you asking if she's been manipulated or are you confident in her ability to interpret news stories? Contradiction.

But as for your complaint about your point, this question:
Quote:
I'm questioning whether this was news to begin with.
does not show up in your first post. No one can get a point you don't make man.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #177
Flint
Snowflake

I disagree, and I stand by everything I've posted. It isn't contradictory, and I don't need to defend it because it is self-explanatory. The end.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #178
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I disagree, and I stand by everything I've posted. It isn't contradictory, and I don't need to defend it because it is self explanatory. The end.

See? Works for *EVERYBODY*, but that is how learning stops. If you end your side of the discussion, then I can't learn anything more about you or your thought process. What you've written is *not* self explanatory, a person's words need the actual person to explain them.

If you say A, and I say, hm.. I don't see it. And you just leave it there, tha's fine, cool. My (apparently incorrect) understanding will remain similarly unchanged. But I'll wonder what was the purpose of your remarks. Were you trying to inform me, amuse me, persuade me? Were you just thinking out loud with none of these intentions? I don't know. I'm just left with what I've got.

and I've got an image of what I've already said, plus one of you with a closed mind.

communication is the sending and receiving of information. Lots of sending here, but a lamentable lack of receiving.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #179
Flint
Snowflake

Read the post again and imagine that it is about what I said it is about. I meant exactly what I said.

Quote:
…just so happen to…you just happen to have heard about it…just, coincidentally (because nobody really plans what's in the news, do they?) just coincidentally happened to enter into your consciousness...you chose to know about this, right?…

Old 05-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #180
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

right.

I did read all of that, more than once. In every reading, the subject (largely omitted in your quoting) is "you", Jill, since you were addressing her. The object was her understanding, her knowledge and the provenance of that knowledge.

Your point is made obliquely at best and the most direct reference to the insignificance of this item and its news-un-worthiness is in the negative "...nobody does plan..do they?". the quote you show might have been what you wrote when you were thinking "Man, this is such a non-issue, why all the fuss in the first place?", but what came out was very different.