The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I don't like all these coherent posts without color coding.

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #17
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
What is that I don't even
Ha! Glad you asked, IM!

Folding@Home is a HUGE distributed computing project, run by Stanford University. It's purpose is to research how our proteins (that's the part of us that DOES the most stuff!), build themselves into these complex 3 dimensional shapes.

If the "build" goes bad, it's big-time trouble for us - like a key that not only doesn't open the lock, but might even break it.

It also studies how diseases get into our cells, at the molecular level, and finds the most likely candidates for effective drugs to treat diseases. We've done projects for Huntington's Disease, Alzheimer's, Cancer (helped lower the toxicity of a breast cancer drug to normal cells), Leukemia, etc.

Taken together, Folding@Home is the most powerful super computer in the world - by far.

My team is Overclockers.com (there are thousands of teams, and we are #4 in the world). This is the video from our leader of F@H, Dr. Vijay Pande: (he's interviewed by a DLTV member).

The video of the protein folding, is amazing!

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Learn

( team DLTV - hah! )

Note: This is NOT for laptops or tablets. In moderate use, you won't notice F@Home is even running, if you have good cooling for your PC.

The F@Home client runs in lowest priority, so everything you want to do, it yields cpu cycles to you (even to the screensavers). Takes 1/3rd of a second to do that.

For heavy gaming - turn it off (click the quit button in the app). Restart it later.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #18
Lamplighter

Quote:
My way of thinking is to look at a household for an analogy.
Follow the way of a Republican household:

Don't use the check register to list all the checks you write.
... no list, it didn't happen.

When you move out, burn all the NSF notices and don't mention the lien on the property.

Then squawk like a male peacock when the next owner has to pay your debts.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Yay, UT posted in the politics forum!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Follow the way of a Republican household:

Don't use the check register to list all the checks you write.
... no list, it didn't happen.

When you move out, burn all the NSF notices and don't mention the lien on the property.

Then squawk like a male peacock when the next owner has to pay your debts.
Are you alluding to the way Obama screwed the bond holders of GM when he took it over - contrary to law, btw.

Or are you referring to how Obama screwed the taxpayers over to the tune of half a million dollars by OK'ing the loan to his crony friends in setting up a solar energy company that had already been labelled "risky", by the executive branch?

It's SO hard to keep track of all the way that the Democrats have wasted SO many millions of dollars.

We're NOT going to cut back on our spending and get through this recession, and come out stronger in a year or two -- oh no, by Gawd!

We're going to keep up -- no! EXPAND our spending, by hundreds of millions of dollars, and do NOTHING to make our economy more efficient - like say by using E-verify??

No, we have our recession, and we are, BY GAWD! Going to WALLOW in it, and sing Al Green imitations, and play golf, and hoops, and go on more talk shows, and lie some more!

Oh Hooray!!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #21
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

This post brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Lamplighter,

All peacocks are male. All peahens are female.

That is all.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Good to see you again Adak. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving holiday. I'd like to offer my hand to you in post-election-goodwill and say "good contest". I have a request/suggestion for this next phase of political discussion here. Would you please omit the ad hominem attacks and the playground name-calling? I pledge to do the same.

I respectfully ask this of you because it will optimize our efforts toward what is undoubtedly our *shared* goal, discussing and deciding what is best for *our country* and how to get there. I freely admit there's likely more overlap on the former than the latter--but they are equally important. I value your input, but it's very difficult, for me, to extract your ideas which deserve consideration from your incendiary rhetoric which distracts.

Thank you.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #23
Lamplighter

V, yes, of course
Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #24
Lamplighter

Quote:
Are you alluding to the way Obama screwed the bond holders of GM when he took it over - contrary to law, btw.
a typical adekian response...

Did you see what I did there... a new word entered my vocabulary
Old 12-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #25
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
@Recipies? Might be a good distraction eh?

@Griff and @SamIam: Thanks for the welcome back.

@SamIam: In fracking, you bore a hole VERY deep (way past any ground water), and then you can bore horizontally, wherever you want to go, to get to the shale that has the oil, and fracture it.

There is NO strip mining!

It's like a hole for a water well, but much deeper. Everything else is hundreds to thousands of feet below the surface, and you see nothing of it.
I don't mean to turn this thread into an expose' of environmental crimes now being committed in the American West, and I'll try not to turn my reply into something nobody else but tw can understand. But your statements are so completely wrong that I can't let them go unchallenged. I live here and it's happening to the mountains and back country plateaus that I love. It breaks my heart and I have VERY strong feelings about it.

You obviously know nothing about current oil shale and natural gas extraction methods in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. Fracking is used to extract natural gas, not oil shale. Fracking often leads to the pollution of ground water with methane. As a result of this contamination, some communities in my part of the world - Colorado's Western Slope - have tap water that can actually be set on fire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEQMA0zwMM4

Out here, burning water is like burning $100 dollar bills. Water is a precious commodity in this land of little rain. It's bad enough that the energy companies come in and contaminate our water supplies, but the crime is compounded when outfits like Halliburten and Shell steal our water completely. Farmers and ranchers are being driven out of business because they can no longer afford the high costs of water rights - a price skyrocketing thanks to drought and energy exploitation methods.

That's just a few of the evils of fracking natural gas.

There is nothing responsible or sustainable about oil shale either. The process of extracting oil shale is similar to tar sands. The land is strip mined, then the oil is baked out of the rock by heating it to high temperatures. This is a process that destroys the land, uses massive amounts of water, and uses massive amounts of energy.

You'll be pleased to hear that this is one area where the Obama administration is in bed with the big oil and energy corporations. Obama's decision to allow big energy to pillage our public lands is worthy of Republicans like James Watt and Dick Cheney. While I supported Obama in the election, he was merely the lesser of two evils. I and other Western environmentalists are fighting a losing battle to keep our backyards from becoming slag pits.

The first two pix that follow are of my beloved Uncomphaghre Plateau - two hours drive to the north of me. It's spectacular and one of Colorado's best kept secrets. Few tourists venture up there and I usually have the entire Uncomphaghre to myself when I go there - or so it feels. The Uncomphaghre is also a rich source of oil shale and falls under the Bureau of Land mis-Management (BLM). Obama is turning BLM lands into national sacrifice areas in the quest for so-called alternative energy sources.

Pix three and four are of shale debris and a shale strip mine, respectively. Obama wants to delete pix one and two and replace them with pix three and four.

Y'all can go back to the budget thing now. I think I'll go outside and look at the mountains for a while.
Attached Images

Last edited by SamIam; 12-03-2012 at 02:48 PM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #26
Adak
Lecturer

[quote=SamIam;841615]I don't mean to turn this thread into an expose' of environmental crimes now being committed in the American West, and I'll try not to turn my reply into something nobody else but tw can understand. But your statements are so completely wrong that I can't let them go unchallenged. I live here and it's happening to the mountains and back country plateaus that I love. It breaks my heart and I have VERY strong feelings about it.

You obviously know nothing about current oil shale and natural gas extraction methods in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. Fracking is used to extract natural gas, not oil shale. [quote]

Stop! I live in the American Southwest, and fracking also allows access to oil that is in shale - it's not just natural gas (although there is a lot of that gas, as well, and natural gas burns VERY clean).

Your "burning water" was investigated (that was in Pennsylvania, btw), and found to be a contamination by above ground mishandling and contamination -- had NOTHING to do with fracking. You can't contaminate with fracking because they're working FAR deeper than ground water, UNLESS your well casings and pipes BOTH crack and leak, AND are passing through an area with groundwater.

The gov't has checked this out, (they wanted to stop it), and found that they could not, because there was NO evidence it contaminated ANYTHING. I will add that there is of course, SOME risk in doing ANYTHING - in the environment, or just crossing the street.

Quote:
Fracking often leads to the pollution of ground water with methane. As a result of this contamination, some communities in my part of the world - Colorado's Western Slope - have tap water that can actually be set on fire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEQMA0zwMM4
Yes, this was checked out - above ground contamination, by poor handling of wastes. Had nothing to do with fracking.

Quote:
Out here, burning water is like burning $100 dollar bills. Water is a precious commodity in this land of little rain. It's bad enough that the energy companies come in and contaminate our water supplies, but the crime is compounded when outfits like Halliburten and Shell steal our water completely. Farmers and ranchers are being driven out of business because they can no longer afford the high costs of water rights - a price skyrocketing thanks to drought and energy exploitation methods.

That's just a few of the evils of fracking natural gas.
So now companies are to blame because costs are rising in the marketplace, for a scarce supply of water?

I cringe at your lack of understanding of supply and demand. Do you believe these companies can help that? They would LOVE to pay low prices for the water they need.

Quote:
There is nothing responsible or sustainable about oil shale either. The process of extracting oil shale is similar to tar sands. The land is strip mined, then the oil is baked out of the rock by heating it to high temperatures. This is a process that destroys the land, uses massive amounts of water, and uses massive amounts of energy.
Shale mining IS strip mining, AFAIK, but I'm not very knowledgeable about shale mining. It's completely wrong to group Fracking, with Shale Mining. The former is like drilling a well. The latter is like tearing the shit out of everything on the surface, and working with the shale, below it, directly, with huge mining equipment.

Quote:
You'll be pleased to hear that this is one area where the Obama administration is in bed with the big oil and energy corporations. Obama's decision to allow big energy to pillage our public lands is worthy of Republicans like James Watt and Dick Cheney.
Actually, Obama has blocked a lot of oil projects, on Federal lands.

Quote:
While I supported Obama in the election, he was merely the lesser of two evils. I and other Western environmentalists are fighting a losing battle to keep our backyards from becoming slag pits.

The first two pix that follow are of my beloved Uncomphaghre Plateau - two hours drive to the north of me. It's spectacular and one of Colorado's best kept secrets. Few tourists venture up there and I usually have the entire Uncomphaghre to myself when I go there - or so it feels. The Uncomphaghre is also a rich source of oil shale and falls under the Bureau of Land mis-Management (BLM). Obama is turning BLM lands into national sacrifice areas in the quest for so-called alternative energy sources.
What's so "alternative" about strip mining for oil, from shale? I don't get the "alternative" description here. Looks like same-ol' stuff to me.

Quote:
Pix three and four are of shale debris and a shale strip mine, respectively. Obama wants to delete pix one and two and replace them with pix three and four.

Y'all can go back to the budget thing now. I think I'll go outside and look at the mountains for a while.
Oh there's no doubt that strip mining is about the only thing worse than clear cutting a huge forest - it destroys everything. What's the plan to restore the area's being mined, when they're done working with the shale? That's what I'd like to see. I don't believe you can stop strip mining, in area's rich in deposits. You CAN and SHOULD insist that the area be returned to something akin to it's former state though, when they are done.

We do need the energy - that's critical, but we don't need to strip mine and then leave the area a slag dump.

Yes, it will not be the same for a hundred years, but it should be enjoyable, and be slowly returned to it's former beauty, as large trees grow in, etc. That will only happen if it gets worked into shape with the slag put back below the level of supporting top and secondary soil. If the slag stays at or very close to the surface, then nothing good will ever grow there. All plants depend on the micro organisms and micro nutrients in soil - and that is not present in slag.

All Good Medicine.

Last edited by Adak; 12-03-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #27
Lamplighter

Quote:
Oh there's no doubt that strip mining is about the only thing worse than clear cutting a huge forest - it destroys everything. What's the plan to restore the area's being mined, when they're done working with the shale? That's what I'd like to see. I don't believe you can stop strip mining, in area's rich in deposits. You CAN and SHOULD insist that the area be returned to something akin to it's former state though, when they are done.

We do need the energy - that's critical, but we don't need to strip mine and then leave the area a slag dump.
Who is YOU, and doesn't that involve "regulation"
Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #28
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

OF COURSE the answer should be the Environmental Protection Agency, or the Department of Energy, or some combination of both. To rely on "self regulation" will never work, and would indeed be illegal.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #29
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Who is YOU, and doesn't that involve "regulation"
I meant that there are regulations - we regulate everything nowadays, but those who are there - locally - are the only ones who know if the regulations, are actually being followed.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #30
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
Stop! I live in the American Southwest, and fracking also allows access to oil that is in shale - it's not just natural gas (although there is a lot of that gas, as well, and natural gas burns VERY clean).

Your "burning water" was investigated (that was in Pennsylvania, btw), and found to be a contamination by above ground mishandling and contamination -- had NOTHING to do with fracking. You can't contaminate with fracking because they're working FAR deeper than ground water, UNLESS your well casings and pipes BOTH crack and leak, AND are passing through an area with groundwater.

The gov't has checked this out, (they wanted to stop it), and found that they could not, because there was NO evidence it contaminated ANYTHING. I will add that there is of course, SOME risk in doing ANYTHING - in the environment, or just crossing the street.
Yup. I agree with all three points.

Apparently, the makers of "Gasland" actually knew the entire 'setting tap water on fire from fracking' thing was bullshit but they decided to go through with it anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
OF COURSE the answer should be the Environmental Protection Agency, or the Department of Energy, or some combination of both. To rely on "self regulation" will never work, and would indeed be illegal.
Also agree.