The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-22-2007, 02:27 PM   #466
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
We shouldn't! We should just pack up all our shit and go home and wait in blissful ignorance until they kick the door in and stick a bomb up our asses. Then we can call the "more benevolent nations" to help us out. Oh nevermind, it'll be too late by then. Hell, lets just all convert now.
Maybe the fact that they hate us is because we are over there killing them. For every civilian we kill over there, ten more are going to grow up hating us.

Do you know how the American Revolution started to gain steam? The British would hurt innocent civilians and kill their neighbors. So they would hate the British for what they did to them, even if their neighbor started it first.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #467
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
If we were invaded and occupied the way they are there would be an insurgency, I would be part of it and we would be doing what they are.
You would blow up civilians in crowded markets just like the Iraqi insurgents do?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #468
rkzenrage

I don't believe that that is common to Iraqi insurgents. More illegal immigrants there to continue their campaign of terror (that they would not be doing if we had not invaded and occupied an non-threat nation)... I was talking more along the line of direct fighting and blowing-up their vehicles, gorilla warfare.
Yes, I would do that.
Targeting civilians, no, in no way.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:07 PM   #469
glatt

It's not just Iraqis vs. Americans. It's also a power struggle between the different religious factions.

It would be like if the Russians invaded the US, and the Baptists took the opportunity to go into a Catholic neighborhood to blow up a Walmart there, and any Russian soldiers they might see in the area too.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:33 PM   #470
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Maybe the fact that they hate us is because we are over there killing them. For every civilian we kill over there, ten more are going to grow up hating us.
We aren't over there intentionally killing civilians PH. Of course there are unintentional casualties, but they are not the enemy. Iraqi insurgents are being included as civilian deaths as well. Not all of them are over there wearing a bright sign that says "ENEMY" on it. Many Iraqi civilians are being killed by the enemy as well. Of course, thats our fault too.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #471
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

It's a lose lose situation. I can't be certain but I would guess that Iraqis are more pissed at their poor living conditions than anything.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #472
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

I think its a very different culture over there and the vast majority have absolutely no concept of what a democracy is or could be. They have no idea how wonderful life can be. All they've ever known is the same bullshit and fragmented society. Freedom is a word without a definition to them. Something they've never had nor can grasp.
Furthermore, those that oppose us wish to continue to exert their control upon the masses or gain more by any means - for their own gain/profit or power. Too bad we'll probably never be able to give the power back to the people - its a sin really.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:29 PM   #473
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

We are not giving them freedom. We are running into their house, taking their possessions and peeing on them on the way out.

We have to slowly give them democracy or they will reject it. Also, I bet the USSR was saying almost the exact same thing as you 60 years ago.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #474
Ronald Cherrycoke
Master Locutor

Quote:
We are not giving them freedom. We are running into their house, taking their possessions and peeing on them on the way out.

We have to slowly give them democracy or they will reject it. Also, I bet the USSR was saying almost the exact same thing as you 60 years ago.

Yep...that has always been the Bush=Hitler policy...according to the MSM.....Keith Oberman told me so...

Haaaaa...Haaaaaaa...
Ronald Cherrycoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:59 PM   #475
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
We have to slowly give them democracy or they will reject it.
Really???? We have to GIVE them democracy???
Old 01-22-2007, 10:28 PM   #476
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065
Too bad we'll probably never be able to give the power back to the people - its a sin really.
I don't know what the point of your remark was since you said the exact same thing.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:39 PM   #477
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
I don't know what the point of your remark was since you said the exact same thing.
My point is that the people are not in power. maybe its semantics, but we can't force a democracy on them we can only give them the power to choose whatever form of Gov't they want to have. They certainly didn't choose what they have had.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:39 PM   #478
Ibby
erika

I'm going to be recycling some of the stuff I used in this thread on an essay I have to write in class in a few days about Social Contracts and Current Events and stuff like that, so I'm just stating that I'm the writer of all that stuff and such so I can argue that I wasnt plagarising anyone but myself.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #479
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Don't you dare Ibram - Use us all as interviewees and then reference us at the end -
can you say "bonus points?"
Old 01-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #480
Ibby
erika

Nah, its an in-class essay on social contracts for a class that doesnt REALLY encourage out of the box thinking as much as it should.