The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 03-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #1246
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I get it, it's hard to eat healthy when you're up early and busy all day and tired at night. But it's easy to take the shortcut when you have dozens of options in fast food, so you put off the planning and wait until the next crisis.

How about cooking on Sunday afternoon, making up a grain dish, a bean dish, and chopping some veggies ahead of time? Assembling supper after a long day becomes easy. Or make a couple of dishes in large amounts, divide into portions, and refrigerate or freeze for the week.

Fast food companies count on us feeling that we're in crisis.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #1247
glatt

Sloppy joes, salad, cut up apples.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #1248
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh that burrito was mighty healthy and I'm not kidding.

Blackened chicken, rice, black beans, Jack cheese, Caesar dressing, romaine lettuce and salsa.

Nothing wrong with it. And because it was Monday, and I ordered a regular size burrito, they made me spin the wheel of burrito for my special prize, and my special prize was $1 off. And that's what I wanted. So it was a great dinner. I may go there every day.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #1249
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Blackened chicken, rice, black beans, Jack cheese, Caesar dressing, romaine lettuce and salsa.
I guess you didn't eat the tortilla? I noticed it was all torn open in the picture...

Tonight was balsamic lamb chops, frozen cherries, and salad (arugula) with various dressings.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #1250
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

We're having chicken burritos tonight. I've already made the shredded chicken and beans with chilli and stuff, and the guacamole. Just have to chop a bit of salady stuff and we're good to go.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #1251
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well it's paper thin the tortilla, rips right open like it was meant to, and yeah I ate the shit out of it. I might go back tomorrow. They have a card and you can get 5% off and stuff.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:53 PM   #1252
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
I get it, it's hard to eat healthy when you're up early and busy all day and tired at night. But it's easy to take the shortcut when you have dozens of options in fast food, so you put off the planning and wait until the next crisis.
More than that, for some people cooking is not fun, it's fucking drudgery. Even simple stuff that cooks throw together in a jiffy, are a pain in the ass to people that don't cook enough to have much of the kitchen dance become second nature.

Well the more you do it the easier it becomes.
Same with mountain climbing and triathlon, but they don't appeal to me either.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #1253
Aliantha

I wish the non cookers would just come to my place. I could cook for you all. You might appreciate my efforts.

I cooked scallops on a bed of hommus with harrisa dressing followed by spaghetti with a creamy sweet chilly prawn sauce. That was sunday night. Last night I cooked potato mash, steak and eggs (yep, very simple, but mans food, so I assumed since it was for men it'd be ok)

I had to remind one member of my family that a little thanks would go a long way towards further meals being forthcoming.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #1254
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's your problem, you spoil 'em. feed 'em canned beans and hot dogs more often.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #1255
Aliantha

They wouldnt care. Well actually, i think aden would, and sometimes mav would. lol
Old 03-18-2014, 02:44 AM   #1256
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

They'll grow into it, Ali.
At least the children will...

I never used to thank my parents for food. It would have been like thanking them for being alive. Food was part of their job, feeding me ditto.

Once I moved out I started to understand.
I wouldn't let a waiter put a meal in front of me, or a bartender serve me a drink without acknowledging it. And they're strangers who are getting paid.
So I learned to appreciate people at home much more.

Eventually.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:36 AM   #1257
Aliantha

The boys almost always say thanks for cooking because thats how i raised them, and to give credit where its due, their father also believed in thanking the cook, so they have always been expected to show gratitude to those who do for them. Mostly they do, so thats nice.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:53 AM   #1258
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Good for you, and good for them.
In hindsight I probably did automatically say thank you, because that's how I was raised too.
But I honestly didn't appreciate the time and effort put into cooking.
Which is a shame, because Mum is a reluctant cook. To her it was always too much time and too much effort (as Bruce says, fucking drudgery) so a bit more appreciation from us would have gone a long way.
Had we been born ten years later, we might have been brought up on frozen/ ready meals. As it was, we were lucky to grow up in the seventies, when home cooking was the norm, Mums bought fresh food from individual shops and stretched budgets using slow cooked cheap cuts. Which is what I'm going to do tonight!

I genuinely enjoy cooking.
More than I do baking, which I only do for the response.
I'm currently waiting for them to bugger off for the day so I can start my marinade
Old 03-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #1259
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
More than that, for some people cooking is not fun, it's fucking drudgery. Even simple stuff that cooks throw together in a jiffy, are a pain in the ass to people that don't cook enough to have much of the kitchen dance become second nature.
You're damn right. I really don't care to cook. It's ridiculous when I have to cook. My sister cooks twice as fast as I do. My mom can do it 3X if not faster than I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I wish the non cookers would just come to my place. I could cook for you all. You might appreciate my efforts.
If you don't bitch while cooking, I'll come and thank you for your all your effort.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #1260
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Butter chicken last night.
Very good.
Dad left nearly half of his Chicken Tikka Biryani, so I had it boxed and took it into work today for lunch.

Day before payday, you gotta eat what you can get, right?
And it was good - just not what I would choose. Too dry and too much rice. I like curries in sauce, and with naan bread, which is exactly what I had last night.

I surprised Diz with my brinjal pickle farts last bight.
So he is currently surprising me by sneaking the occasional one out. Fart I mean, not brinjal pickle.

Little stinker.
Attached Images