The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-25-2002, 09:49 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Baseball strike?

Attendance went down 19% after the 1994 strike. Players are saying they might strike on October 1 right before the playoffs. Television has been overpaying for the rights to broadcast and wants to cut back. The entire payroll of the Twins is less than what Alex Rodriguez gets paid.

I gave it up in '94. What are the rest of you waiting for?

It's a nice enough game, and a cultural tradition, but they've eaten its soul. It needs to be taught a lesson.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 12:13 PM   #2
hotdude729
Purple Monkey Dishwasher

Alex Rodriguez

I live in Texas and sadly my favorite team is the Texas Rangers. And even i agree that 252 million for A-ROD is WAY too much. Something needs to be done about this bc I love sports but thats too much money for one guy. I think thats too much for a team. And i also just want to point out the Minnesota is, or at least was, doing better then Texas with their lower pay roll

www.geocities.com/hotdude729

hotdude729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 01:02 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

The players and owners take fans for granted. It took almost 3 years to get the fans back after the '94 strike. If the teams are having problems making money now, they'll make it much much harder if a strike occurs.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 02:00 PM   #4
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Down the hatch

I'm with you, Tony. I've never been a baseball fan, but I might have become one after the 1993 Phillies season... but no. That's not fair, I guess--I've never been a fan of Major League Baseball! I used to enjoy going to see minor league ball when I went to school in Greensboro. I spose one day we should get off our butts and take the kids to the Wilmington or Camden games, but jeez it'd be a 1/2 hr drive! (what a wimp! these things are much more complicated when you have 2 munchkins to schlep along.)

As far as I'm concerned a strike would be more fun to watch than the actual baseball games. (If I were in more of a smartass mood, I would start a friendly argument with Tony about whether a thread about baseball may appropriately be placed under the category of "entertainment".)

Last edited by SteveDallas; 05-25-2002 at 02:02 PM.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 01:14 PM   #5
warch
lurkin old school

Selig must go.
Let's hear it for those Twins. They have a great ad campaign- "Twins- Get to Know 'em" Having just watched them play Texas- I noticed alot of choice empty seats in that park, many more than in the dome.
Selig must go.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 01:36 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Some dude wants to start a movement to vote the entire Twins and Expos teams to the All-Star squads.

Sounds good to me.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 02:25 PM   #7
Nic Name
retired

www.twinsexpos.com

has great appeal for search engines, too.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote