The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 02-08-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
SamIam

Insomnia

I have been plagued by insomnia all my life. Lately it has gotten worse, and I'm up with the Aussies. Warm milk doesn't help. Valarian doesn't help. Counting sheep, cats, rats doesn't work. Any ideas?
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

A radical change in diet will radically affect your body, in ways you never expected. On the other hand, it's not fun, and not for the faint of heart.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
SamIam

What do you suggest? I'm getting desperate!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Make sure you get UP at the same time every day no matter when you go to bed/sleep. A friend told me about this and it eventually worked to get his body back on a schedule. <shrug> worth a try anyway.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Make sure you are not anemic. I know, from a period in my life before they got my Crohn's disease under control, that if you are anemic (low on iron) you will have trouble sleeping and even the smallest amount of caffeine will keep you up all night.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam
What do you suggest? I'm getting desperate!
Eliminate gluten. It's no good for anybody. It is, however, in the majority of food products as a nutritionless filler, so going without it means a lot of cooking your own meats and produce. I did it as a side effect of having to eliminate it from the house for my son, and ended up losing 15 pounds without trying, and feeling a hundred times better and healthier than I have in my entire life. My sleep is better, my digestion is better, my sinuses are better... but believe me, it's a severe cramp on your social life. I just got lucky in that I didn't have one anyway. And yes, you should get your basic nutrient levels checked too, like Pete suggested. Most people have no idea just how crappy their diet is, even when they think they're eating "balanced" meals.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
I have been plagued by insomnia all my life. Lately it has gotten worse, and I'm up with the Aussies. Warm milk doesn't help. Valarian doesn't help. Counting sheep, cats, rats doesn't work. Any ideas?
Ever do any meditation/relaxation exercises? Are you getting enough regular exercise?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
Make sure you are not anemic. I know, from a period in my life before they got my Crohn's disease under control, that if you are anemic (low on iron) you will have trouble sleeping and even the smallest amount of caffeine will keep you up all night.
Thanks, I was anemic at one time and maybe I am again.

Yeah, Griff, I haven't been getting much exercise this winter. We have had tons of snow and I'm not much for walking on ice covered roads and through 4 foot drifts. Maybe joining a fitness center will help.

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

vitamin D,Iron,herbal teas, working at something taxing during the day,baths,candles

Eliminate caffeine after a certain time during the day.

...but then I sleep like a baby
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
skysidhe

As far as changing diet, for someone who's had luck at it, it could be as simple as switching from excess processed foods to foods that are raw or as close to their natural state as possible and excluding HFCS in breads and cereals. Whole grains,fruits and vegetables.Low sodium is best. Avoiding the trans fats and the hydrogenated vegetable oils in those things like breads, cereals, margarine and baked goods.

Adding both mental and physical exercise doubles the benefit of a healthy diet.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:30 PM   #11
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
...but then I sleep like a baby
You wake up every two hours and cry?

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #12
skysidhe

ha!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Lifelong insomniac here. I just suffer. Nothing I've ever tried really worked. I hate pills, and just don't take them often. I did try Ambien. Hadn't slept in 48 hours, took an Ambien, laid, staring at the ceiling for four hours. Got up, and came to the Cellar.

BTW, if you get rid of all those cats rats & sheep, ya might get some sleep.

Seriously, I feel for ya.

Ever seen the Al Pacino/Robin Williams flick "Insomnia"? One scene, in the police squad room, I guess, hits the insomnia nail square on the head. Pacino hasn't slept, and starts noticing all these sounds you would never pay ANY attention to in normal day-to-day interactions. Coffee maker dripping from across the room, guy flicking his nails off a pencil, all just screaming inside his head. Spot on accurate for true insomnia sufferers.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
Pie
Gone and done

Have you tried a white noise generator?
A ceiling fan helps my insomnia. As does sleeping in a colder environment, blocking out extraneous light, sex before sleep (tmi), elbowing my husband in the back to stop snoring (after the tmi).

Sometimes, there's a minor bodyache keeping me awake -- not quite enough to be registered as painful, just enough to irritate. I take a quick advil and it usually does the trick.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Have you tried a white noise generator?
A ceiling fan helps my insomnia. As does sleeping in a colder environment, blocking out extraneous light, sex before sleep...
I run a fan at all times when sleeping (or trying to). It's usually around 66-68 degrees (F) in the bedroom. It's very dark, even at noon. I'd be interested in hearing more about this "sex" you speak of. Feel free to go into as much detail as you like. As a matter of fact, PLEASE, GO INTO DETAIL!!!!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote