The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-06-2008, 01:01 AM   #16
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

Grey is a fine color for a first or second suit. If it were going to be primarily for office use, I would suggest the navy. On a budget? No problem. Right now, Stafford (you can find them at J.C. Penney) is making well cut, well made, affordable suits. Try on several sizes! Do not just go for the size the "expert" tells you to try. Try that one and the a size down and then a size up. The coat shouldn't be longer than your hand hanging comfortably by your side. I would take it to a reputable tailor to have it altered. That person is typically NOT in the store. It will cost a few dollars more, but not much, and with the price you will pay for the suit, you can afford it. Just because a suit costs a lot of money, does not mean it is the suit for you. A suit of most any brand, that is cut well and is tailored well, is going to look like a million bucks! You are on the right trail by reading up first. Some sites are geared towards a certain look, but by combining all of the info, you can get a feel of what the suit should look like on your body.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:01 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Army's new class A uniform is blue.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:17 AM   #18
lookout123
changed his status to single

Go to Men's Wearhouse. or something similar. explain what you need the suits for. explain the price range you are comfortable in. Those are the Needs. then tell them your Likes. you like gray/blue, wool, etc. they will then have you try on suits that fit your needs and help you decide if your wants are what really looks good on you.

You can't go wrong with a black wool suit. Blue tends to start looking tacky fairly quickly unless it is of a very very nice quality. Just my $.02.

I buy a few suits from Men's Wearhouse every year and I've only run into one sales hack who tried to steer me wrong.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:48 AM   #19
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Blue is a big no no, IMO.

Charcoal grey is a great *in between* suit, can be dressed up or down with the shirt worn underneath.

If you get a really well fitting black or grey suit, you just change your shirt style/colour and it changes with the fashions.

ToGgie is on the money with suit lengths, that is what I have heard in the past.

I would be going for one really nice suit, a few different shirts to change the mood and sports jacket.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #20
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
I buy a few suits from Men's Wearhouse every year and I've only run into one sales hack who tried to steer me wrong.
I must have met him. I went in while my wife was shopping in another store. I didn't need a suit, but I could've used a couple dress shirts. I ended up in one that fit me like a muumuu, at least a muummuu that was a couple sizes too big. "This is the style," he said. "No, we don't have any fitted shirts or athletic fit. They don't really make those anymore because they're not in demand."
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #21
Flint
Snowflake

people who sell you stupid clothes

I needed a black dress shirt, and my ex took me to a fancy dept store at the mall. They were fitting me for the shirt and I told them my main concern is that my arms are very long, and I don't want the sleeves to be too short, ESPECIALLY when I bend my elbow and the sleeve creeps 2" up my wrist.

I felt like they needed to add an inch to what they were saying my sleeve length was. The lady disagreed. I insisted. Just add an inch. I have very long arms. No, no, she's sure her number are right. I want another inch. So she goes to get ANOTHER guy, her clothes-selling manager I guess, who explains that adding another inch will make the shirt hang down funny over my hands. YES, but I spend ZERO hours per day standing with my arms by my side. I need the shirt to cover my wrists WHILE I'M USING MY ARMS. Okay, but the length they are suggesting will do that. Are you sure? Yes. Are you REALLY SURE? Because MY MAIN CONCERN IS THAT THE SLEEVES WILL BE TOO SHORT. No, this is the right length for you. Okay, if you say so. Trust us, this is what we do.

I guess that makes sense. They know how to measure shirts, right? WRONG.

The sleeves were about ONE INCH TOO SHORT. And when I wear that shirt I have to roll up the sleeves. Stupid goddamn motherfuckers.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote