The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #211
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Do you know anything about college football W.H.I.P., Big Ten in particular?
Old 08-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #212
W.HI.P
Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Do you know anything about college football W.H.I.P., Big Ten in particular?
I can assume that you haven't read this thread.
I went 12 for 15 in college football last season in this thread.
Most picks we're bowls where the underdog won.

Of course I'll be posting tips around the top 10.
Tips though will be given when there are mistakes in the spreads or miss-matches on the field.

I think that the way it looks right now is totally wrong.
in 4 months from now when ou look back at the rankings, you'll see just how wrong they are.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #213
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I haven't read the whole thread but I have popped in and out at times.

Ok, thanks.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:09 PM   #214
W.HI.P
Free

I'll make i easy for you...
These we're some of the predictions last year:

*~*~*~*~**~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Auburn at home against Georgia.
This is a lot closer than it looks, Georgia will stop this Auburn offence.
...and just imagine how easy this -13,5 point spread will be if Georgia score a touchdown or two.

Georgia 37-15 Auburn(-13,5) ...WIN

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Texas A&M at home against Nebraska.
Lets not fool ourselves here, Texas A&M won some predictable matches, even as underdogs, you could see it coming, but Hello!! Nebraska's coming here with purpose, and I can't see how Texas A&M can stop them, and to top all that Nebraska are -1,5 point underdogs?

Nebraska 28-27 Texas A&M(-1,5) ...WIN

Arkansas at home against Tennessee.
You know, Tennessee may actually be a better team than Arkansas, but they certainly do show their good faces at home...but their not at home this week.
Arkansas is. I'll take the home side here, even with the 5,5 point spread

Arkansas(-5,6) 31-14 Tennessee ...WIN

Syracuse at home against Conneticut.
I've watched a lot of Syracuse matchups this year, and they've played some really good football against teams that were a lot better than Conneticut, I'm really impressed with their offence, and I think they're gonna beat this team by a bundle, and they have motive as well.
Their win pays 2,30.. take it!

Syracuse 20-14 Conneticut WIN=2,30

Michigan@Ohio State
It dosen't get much better than this! I feel kinda silly talking about this game as there are various opinions on this one and it is one of the most talked about subject in sports in N.America these days, but i must!
What does this game really come down to? Michigans defence against this super Ohio State offence. Having watched them both with an open mind , i have to say that there isn't really any competition
It won't be as easy as the Texas game, but lets be real, Ohio State IS the #1 team in the country, and come Saturday Michigan will not be #2, and they really aren't now, i mean , not really.
Everyone was so impressed with the predictable win over the dodgy Irish that I just so happened to call.
Ohio State will win, the 3,5 pays 1,60 and that looks like the best way to wager on this event.
I mean the 6,5 spread pays what? 1,70? ..so as you can see, this is not a pointspread kinda game.

Ohio State 42-39 Michigan Loss=1,60

Ohio - Southern Mississippi(-6,5)

The difference between theese two teams is really big, and although most bowl games so far have been close regardless of teams differences, I can't see this one being remotely close.

Bet on the Southern Mississippi

Southern Mississippi(-6,5) 28-7 Ohio ........................WIN

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

BCS Championship

Florida - Ohio State(-7,5)

There is no doubt that Ohio State is the best team in the country.
Florida will not be able to stop their offence.
Although Ohio State's defence is not up to par, you'd have to imagine this being a high scoring game and Ohio State should win by a few scores.

Bet on Ohio State

Florida won easily

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chick-fil-A Bowl

Georgia - Virginia Tech(-3,5)

I'd like to think that Georgia can take this with their amazing defence.
I'm certain they'll step it up for this one.
3,5 points is a security blanket here in what will be a low scoring game.

Bet on Georgia

Georgia 31-24 Virginia Tech(-3,5) ....................WIN

Outback Bowl

Tennessee(-4,5) - Penn State

All year round Tennessee has played some pretty good football.
Earlier in the season this would have looked like an easy win for the volunteers.
Penn State has certainly improved as the year went on, and this 4,5 spread is wrong.
I think the Penn State will play as Lionhearts and win this very cool matchup that I anticipate watching more than most of the others.

Bet on Penn State!

Penn State 20-10 Tennessee(-4,5) .....................WIN

Rose Bowl

USC - Michigan(-1,5)

This will probably have higher ratings than the championship game.
Everyone is talking about Michigan and I don't buy it.
I've made some good money on both teams this year and I have watched them both closely.
What i can't understand is the commentators who are refering to this Michigan offence like its ohio state.
I respect their defence, but IMO, their offence is gonna have a hard time in this one and USC will get a very easy win.
To actually see Michigan here as 1,5 point favorites is a very big suprise to me.

Bet on USC!

USC 32-18 Michigan(-1,5) .................................WIN

Old 08-30-2007, 11:03 AM   #215
W.HI.P
Free

NFL Pre-season week 4
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It would be silly to wager serious money on games that are made up for practice.
Especially when the regular season is right around the corner.

If you do decide to gamble today, do NOT be betting against the home teams no matter how it looks on paper.
I personally am not putting anything on any game this week.
However i can imagine imagery being set up for the teams that are being pushed on the public.
Both teams just happen to be at home this week, so N.O and N.E look like safe bets.

Next entry will be for week 1!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #216
W.HI.P
Free

New Orlean Saints @ Indianapolis Colts(-6.5)
The season opener will have quite a bit of money wagered on it.
The spread will push many who believe that the Saints are a good team to wager on them.
No doubt, the Colts are by far a better team than this full of holes Saints team, however,the lack of media influence deters me from recommending the Colts as a sure bet.
It seems possible that more money can be made by pushing a false image further than these first week as plenty of heavy long term bets have yet to be made.

Avoid

Pitchberg Steelers(-5.5) @ Clevland Browns
This Steelers team has expired. This growing Browns team will win this division 3-4 years from now.
That might take a few seasons of finishing below .500 for draft purposes as I'm sure their views on success is projected for 2010-2012, however the Clevland Browns are playing at home in week 1.
We can expect them to win this game.
What makes this a second nature wager is the fact that they are actually 5,5 point underdogs.

Bet on the Browns!

Miami Dolphins @ Washington Redskins(-3.0)

I would easily recommend the Redskins here as they should win, but i cannot as it will be a very low scoring game, based on the fact that the Redskins will run the ball against one of the greatest defences in the game, and the under par Dolphins offence will also be forced to run against this amazing Redskins pass defence.
So instead of picking a team here, i will strongly urge you to wager on the Under here, its only 34,5 points, but, you'll see.

Bet on the Under (34,5)

Philadelphia Eagles(-3,5) @ Green Bay Packers
I have seen some brainwashing here,lol.
They've been leading people to believe that the Packers have a great defence. Ok, so its not bad, but gimme a break.
If this was week 3-4, i would jump all over the Eagles, but offences do need some time to gel, add to that the tricky 3,5 point spread and you've got a bet that is not as good as it looks.

Avoid

Denver Broncos (-3.5) @ Buffalo Bills
I really want to recommend the Bills here, as they are a better team, at home, and underdogs. I mean, the Broncos are really gonna have a hard time scoring as this Bills defence is certainly well matched and more up to par than the Broncos offence.
I'm pretty close to recommending the under(37,5) here as well, but then again what if my original Bills theory is right on the money and they kill the Broncos at home?

Avoid

Kansas City Chiefs @ Houston Texans(-2.5)
The Texans have clearly improved from last year.
The running back addition gives them a much more balanced offence which should also improve their passing game.
They should win at least 5 games this year.
I'm not sure they'll win this one though.
The difference in OL's is huge here and should be evident in this match-up. I'm kinda suprised to see the Texans favorites, however i cannot recommend either team as this game is a toss-up.

Avoid

Tennesee Titans @ Jacksonville Jaguars(-7.0)
I'll prove my point in this one.
Heavy media influence here:Jacksonville this, the Jaguars that...lol, superbowl prone? hows that?
Evenly matched teams, The Titans are very unpreditable, this above par Jaguars defence will have a hard time stopping this offence from scoring. I can't understand why they've made a 7.0 point spread.
This game could just as easily be won by the Titans, I'll throw this one in the Mix.

Bet on the Titans

New England Patriots(-7,5) @ New York Jets

It will take some time for the Jets offence to play to their full potential. They are overall a better team than the Patriots.
Team in its full meaning that is.
A Team meaning exactly what the Patriots are far from being.
The unbeatable 2008 superbowl champs eh? lol
I talk football, its what i do, and i've yet to meet an average football fan who hasn't been influenced by this on-going media brainwashing regarding this years Patriots.
N.E kinda reminds me of the Brazilian national soccer team today.
11 guys on a pitch, playing together for a few weeks, all coming from different schools in different countries=not a team.
7,5 point favorites against the potential division winners?

Bet on the Jets

Carolina Panthers @ St. Louis Rams(-1.5)

This is a close one.
The Rams offence will do really well as the Panthers are not equipped to handle the rams passing game.
However I cannot underestimate the Panthers who are capable of winning this game.
The spread is correct.

Avoid

Atlanta Falcons @ Minnesota Vikings(-3.0)

I'm afraid its too early to give a pick as here as they game is so far away, and I'm 100% sure we will have some media intervention in this one.

Stand by for sure money here.

Chicago Bears @ San Diego Chargers(-5.5)

A possible superbowl matchup here as both teams are of the absolute elite.
This is one of the best bets of the week!
This game is a miss-match!
Its week 1, defences are ready, offences need time to gel.
The Chargers with LT are the ultimate running team, but they're up against the greatest running defence the NFL has seen in quite some time.
Tomlinson vs Ulracher=Ulracher wins...just watch!
Now the Bears offence will also struggle in this game, but consider the fact that the Chargers will be forced to pass, this should provide some points from the Bears defence.
It is more than likely that the Bears will win this game, and with the Chargers 5,5 point favorites, we'd be crazy not to wager on this one.

Bet on the Bears!!!

Tampa Bay Bucs @ Seattle Seahawks(-6.5)

Ok, so I don't think the seahawks will finish the season above .500, but they should win this one against this very poor Bucs team.
6,5 points however on a mediocre team is quite a bit.

Avoid

Detroit Lions @ Oakland Raiders(-1.5)

The Raiders are easily a better team than the Lions, and their record at the end of the year will prove it, however this particular game hides some suprises as the Lions will benefit offencivley as there are some miss-matches against this defence.

Avoid

New York Giants @ Dallas Cowboys(-6.5)

Both the Giants and the Cowboys are great teams.
This should be a great match-up
This is a potential bet as many will focus their money here.
Awaiting media influence........

Stand by for prediction

Baltimore Ravens @ Cincinnatti Bengals(-2.5)
Don't be confused here, the Bengals will win this division, however, they will lose this divisional game at home.
I repeat, defences are ready, offences(especially passing offences) need time to gel.
This amazing bengals passing offence is facing the best passing defence in the game.
It is at this time, a miss match.

Bet on the Ravens

Arizona Cardinals @ San Fransisco 49ers(-3.5)

This game is full of miss matches on both offencive/defencive sides.
Arizona's passing game should have a field day against this 49ers defence. On the other hand, Gore will easily score a few and pass 100 yards by the 3rd quarter. This game will have too many scores to determine the difference at this time.

Avoid
Old 09-05-2007, 11:58 PM   #217
Mac_The_Handicapper
Profitable Prophet

W.H.I.P, it's me from the Store George, PM me, so I can send you one back.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:31 AM   #218
pimp1986
Kinda New Member

Five to watch in 2007/8

1) LaDainian Tomlinson (running back San Diego Chargers):

"I think he's the best player in the league. He can run, catch, block and even pass. The Chargers have complete faith in him and he delivers every time. He's a terrific talent."

2) Steven Jackson (running back St Louis Rams)

"A Pro Bowl running back and the NFL's Offensive Player of the Year. No other running back generated more yards from scrimmage last season and he should be devastating again this year."

3) Peyton Manning (quarterback Indianapolis Colts)

"The man that led the Colts to Super Bowl glory last season. His greatest asset is his preparation. He's a real student of the game who always seems one step ahead of opposition."

4) Terrell Owens (wide receiver Dallas Cowboys)

"'TO' writes his own headlines and the big ego seems happy in Dallas. He performed brilliantly for the Cowboys last season, leading the NFL in touchdown catches. Expect the same this year."

5) Ben Roethlisberger (quarterback Pittsburgh Steelers)

"Ben led the Steelers to their Super Bowl triumph in 2006, but he struggled last year after an off-season motorbike accident. He has the weapons and the receivers to do well again this year."
Old 09-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #219
W.HI.P
Free

Quarterbacks

1)Peyton Manning
The man is without a doubt the greatest active QB in the league.
One could certainly argue that he's the best there ever was.
I wouldn't argue with them, he's as close to perfect as i've seen.

2)Donovan McNabb
Fight with me all you want on this one, if you didn't see him last year, then you have no idea. Health is his key issue, otherwise he'd be wearing a ring. If he lasts this year, he most likely will.

3)Carson Palmer
Sure his options are plentyfull making his job easier, but i doubt the QB's ranked lower would do any better in his position.

4)Tony Romo
He's everything the Cowboys we're looking for, and despite having a weak OL and holes in the defence, he will possibly contend for a spot in the playoffs.

5)Phillip Rivers
His numbers at the end of the year will not agree with me, but the young man IMO he is the 5th ranked QB in the NFL

*~*~*~Less than=
T.Brady: put the man behind the Texans OL, and you've got a headless chicken running around ..he would be replaced in week 5
D.Brees=He's not all that, he probably ranks 6th in my list...certainl not a top 3 QB as listed by others.
B.Roethlisberger:lol dude

Running Backs

1)Ladanian Tomlinson
Without a doubt, the best RB in the NFL...he will shine along with his team for many years to come.

2)Clinton Portis
Without a doubt and by far the 2nd best RB in the game.
Again, health has been a serious issue.
If he plays, by the end of the year, you can look back on this post and agree.

3)Frank Gore
Again, he takes this 3rd spot without competition.
He is the SF 49ers...without him, his team would be without a win this year.

4)Steven Jackson
One of the main reasons for his success is his teams passing game which results in him running against dimes and quarters, however, he is just a touch better than the rest of them

5)Brandon Jacobs
I'm sure a lot of you are saying WTF? but hey, just watch!!

*~*~*~Less than=
L.Johnson:His fame began starting behind what was the best OL in the game at the time. He took Holmes spot(another mediocre RB).
Let him run for the Dolphins and you'd see just how mediocre he is.
lol@the money he got.

J.Addai: Hello! He plays with P.Manning. (He would be the #3 RB if he played for SD)

Wide Recievers

1)Steve Smith
Its a pretty tight matchup for top WR, but I gotta give it to this guy, he is an amazing athlete who would make any QC look good.

2)Chad Johnson
Don't let his celebrity status fool you, he's as good as the guy above him. He's impossible to cover.

3)Marvin Harrison
Although 3rd place may seem unjust, keep in mind that he does have the best QB in the game throwing to him.

4) Lavernius Coles
His hands are just as good as T.Owens if not better, the thing about this guy, is he's actually better than T.O after the catch. Watch him shine this year!

5)Terrel Owens
There are so many WR's that could fit in this slot, but the fact is, that this guy does cause inbalances in defences as he is double teamed most of the time.

......Less than:
There are none really, i suppose i've left out some great WR's that could easily fit in to the #4,5 slot.
I suppose the one gu that is less than is Moss.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:35 PM   #220
W.HI.P
Free

Tight Ends

1)Anotnio Gates
He stands alone.. the Tiger woods of the Tight end position.

2)Tony Gonzales
He was the best till Gates came around.

3)Jeremy Shockey
A true leader with amazing stamina, tough, and his hands are too good.

Defence

1)Chicago Bears
Its been the best for quite a few years now, no one can argue that.

2)Baltimore Ravens
And to think they built it with very small contracts, otherwise it could never been achieved.

3)Miami Dolphins
They remain the 3rd best defence in the game, it will be there last year though as they grow old

4)San Diego Chargers
It does have a weakness or two, but the pass rush is of the absolute elite ranking them in the 4th slot

5)Hrmmm, Redskins Eagels Broncos Patriots Steelers Jaguars could all take this spot.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #221
W.HI.P
Free

Atlanta Falcons @ Minnesota Vikings(-3.0)

Quote:
I'm afraid its too early to give a pick as here as they game is so far away, and I'm 100% sure we will have some media intervention in this one.

Stand by for sure money here.
Sure money indeed!
No media intervention needed either, i mean, is there ANYBODY that will be betting on the falcons?? ...nope.
Ask anyone.....they'll say:Atlanta sucks without Vick.
so 1)All the money is on the Vikings...hrmm=where the money is laid, it gets taken away.
Now on the field:
What was Vick's quality anyway? ..
.....He could run. He couldn't throw, but he could run.
Now lets take a closer look.
The Vikings are one of the best run defences in the game, their numbers proved that last year, against the pass, they suck.
Fact, if Vick was playing(running), the Vikings would have stopped him, its what they do.
Now, the Falcons have a QB that CAN actually throw the ball.
SO in this particular matchup, its actually a blessing that Vick isn't playing.

Bet on the Falcons!!!

New York Giants @ Dallas Cowboys(-6.5)

Quote:
Both the Giants and the Cowboys are great teams.
This should be a great match-up
This is a potential bet as many will focus their money here.
Awaiting media influence........

Stand by for prediction
Most money this week will be laid on this game, making this very important for those collecting the money.(Sunday night, everyone will be watching)
I figure around 75% of it will be on the Cowboys.
The teams are evenly matched in my opinion, Dallas has the home field advantage though.
Lets take a closer look..............
Terry Glenn is not going to play.
If you watched last year, you'd know how good of an option he was while T.O was double covered.
So whats left? The OL sucks, think Giants pass rush.
The Cowboys can't run the ball. Plus, offences like the cowboys need time to gel.
Ok, so young manning sucks, but think Shockey for a sec.
HELLO..... BRANDON JACOBS!!!!!! ...just watch this year...he does have a heavy DL in front of him, but don't forget, along with amazing power, the man has speed. I say the Giants beat this America favorite team.

Bet on the Giants!

Old 09-10-2007, 07:30 AM   #222
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Rough week for the ol' W.HI.P.per. Week one never goes expectedly... weird stuff happens
Old 09-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #223
W.HI.P
Free

Yes, it was a rough week.
I'll still be between 85-90% at the end of the year.

Results...

Clevland Browns 7-34 Pitchberg Steelers(-7,5) = Loss
Washington Redskins 16-13 Miami Dolphins = (Under 34,5) WIN
Tennessee Titans 13-10 Jacksonville Jaguars(-7,0) = WIN
New York Jets 14-38 New England Patriots(-7,5) = Loss
Atlanta Falcons 3-24 Minnesota Vikings(-3,0) = Loss
Chicago Bears 3-14 San Diego Chargers(-5,5) = Loss
New York Giants 35-45 Dallas Cowboys(-6,5) = Loss

Still playing..

Baltimore Ravens-Cincinnati Bengals(-2,5)

I did not like what i saw in the Giants-Cowboys game.
Extreme weakness in both teams. If i was a fan of either team, I would feel like the season is already over.
Poor Bills, they outplayed the Broncos and lost.
I feel very confident now in my very large long term bet on the Panthers winning their division (3,50) as all teams(Saints, Falcons, Bucs) we're unable to score a TD from their offence.
The long term Redskins bet at (7,50) also look good with the Eagles loss and the NYG-cowboys looking extremely weak on the defencive side.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #224
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The football pool guy at work told me he only paid off on one pool last weekend, out of hundreds.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #225
W.HI.P
Free

Lets take a peak at how our 4 Rec's for the world series are doing:

1) Cleveland Indians --
2) Detroit Tigers -6.5

1) Los Angelos Angels --
2) Seattle Mariners -9.5

1) New York Mets --
2) Philadelphia Phillies -6.0

1) Milwakie Brewers --
2) Chicago Cubs -1
3) St.Louis Cardinals -4

....its starting to look like our hockey season last year!!