The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-10-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
SamIam

Homeless Hobo Karma

It was about 20 minutes till closing time at 10:00 pm in the Motel from Hell. 3M was in his apartment, slugging down a 12 pack and a pizza with his curtains drawn after a long day of unclogging the toilets in 3 adjoining rooms. I had no idea that a bunch of plastic bags flushed down one toilet could clog up the ones in three seperate rooms, PLUS the bathroom sinks! I wonder what idiot pulled that stunt?

Anyway, all was quiet and I was counting up the day's ill gotten gains when a police car pulled up to the door. We get the cops here all the time - it's part of the over-all ambiance of the place - so I didn't pay much attention. I figured the cop was just scoping out which room the latest malfeasant was hiding in.

Then the door opened and in streamed several small and noisey children, followed by a woman and a man - all Native Americans. The copper drove off without even having come in to say anything to me. Great! Let the $5.00/hr desk clerk who is just getting off a 14 hour shift deal with it.

On my own, I would have just given them all a room and to hell with it. Tonight was very cold with lots of wind and snowflakes in the air. Not a great night for 3 little kids to spend out doors. But I've just spent the last few days being reprimanded for trivia, and I could just imagine the owner blowing up when he discovered that the Chippewa Nation was staying for free.

So, I asked the adults if they had any money. They consulted with one another and told me all they had was $20.00. The lowest price room for two adults (kids stay free) is $41.40. (sigh) I figured that for the sake of the kids, I'd give them the room half price and worry about the fall out tomorrow.

Then Officer returned with one more child and 3 young adult males - all Chippewa, too. I would have wondered about this sudden invasion of Navajo land by a mid-western tribe, but I was too busy losing my temper. "This is NOT the homeless shelter," I said to all of them including officer. "Why didn't you take them to the shelter?"

"We went there and it was full, so they told us to go over there," one of the youths replied, waving a vague hand in the direction of the Ute Reservation. "I don't know what they meant," he lied, trying to appear confused and charming at the same time.

"So why are you here?" I asked him. He tried a Charlie Sheen look this time. "We figured he'd just drop us off", (glances out of the corner of his eyes at the cop) "and then we could walk back to the highway."

"We're going to Grand Junction," the young woman added, as if this explained everything (Grand Junction is at least 200 miles away). I wished they'd made it, instead of ending up here in the motel office. I stared at my 8 new friends and imagined them all up by the side of I-70 with their thumbs stuck out. Were they hoping a Coyote with a big truck would come along and mistake Chippewas for Mexicans?

The cop was giving me mean, "do what I say" glances. I responded by asking him to please call the Bill, the owner, so I could get authorization to hand out free rooms. I knew Bill wanted to stay on the right side with law enforcement, since they are called to the motel so often. Officer handed me the phone with Bill on the line. "Give 'em a couple of rooms," Mr. Skinflint told me, sounding as if he were offering up his life's blood.

I wonder if any of them will flush plastic bags down toilets?

Last edited by SamIam; 04-10-2011 at 01:55 AM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Nirvana
Back in 10

That certainly was an interesting yarn. Were you surprised your boss gave away rooms?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post

I wonder if any of them will flush plastic bags down toilets?
Maybe they would if you asked them nicely and slipped them an extra continental breakfast.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
monster
I hear them call the tide

Didn't you say the owner often exchanges roms for token gifts with the Native Americans? That there's some sort of agreement there?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Rooms for turquoise!

I could do that!

seriously, though, you were in a tough spot. You did the right thing by making it bill's call.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Didn't you say the owner often exchanges roms for token gifts with the Native Americans? That there's some sort of agreement there?
The manager will do that sometimes. We have some regulars who can come in and exchange jewelry for a room. But 95% of customers including the Native contingent must pay cash or credit card. This is my first experience with the police going and rounding up people off the streets and dumping them here.

I wasn't surprised that Bill rolled over and played dead for the police. This is a small town, and he might need the same officer next time when a couple of drunks get in a fight in the parking lot.

They came in and begged for food for the kids this morning (sigh). The Chippewas that is, NOT the police.

Last edited by SamIam; 04-10-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Tulip
Professor

I have an awful tension headache at the moment and feeling tremendously weary. I go into the Cellar to whine and pout about how terrible I feel sometimes. Then I read about other people's lives and realize how blessed I am. I don't intend to say how miserable other people's live are compared to me. I realized that whatever position you are in life, there will always be someone luckier than you, and someone more unfortunate.

Now back to the thread, Sam, you handled that pretty well. I would've stressed out. No wonder I whine so much. Throwing out my cheese, no more whining and groaning. I'm gonna learn how to handle life better.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
The Chippewas that is, NOT the police.
might've been different if you had a box of donuts on the counter.....
Old 04-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
might've been different if you had a box of donuts on the counter.....
They'd still need a snitch to tell 'em where the doughnuts were.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
I have an awful tension headache at the moment and feeling tremendously weary. I go into the Cellar to whine and pout about how terrible I feel sometimes. Then I read about other people's lives and realize how blessed I am. I don't intend to say how miserable other people's live are compared to me. I realized that whatever position you are in life, there will always be someone luckier than you, and someone more unfortunate.
Very true, Tulip, but wait until you read the latest exciting development. Merc and Lookout would love it.

Apparently, the two groups of Chippawas don't know each other that well, and they were actually trying to go different directions when swept up by our hero in blue. The young woman plus one (two?) children was trying to go North to Grand Junction. The young men and one (two?) children are trying to go east to Pueblo. They say they are looking for work and got some money wired by an aunt today. The East group seems on the level.

But Little Miss North turns out to be a coniver and a con. She waltzed into the office around check-out time and - now, that there were no cops around - pulled a large roll of cash from her back pocket, gave me hundred dollar bill, and wanted another night for the cut-rate price I'd given her the night before.

I wanted to take the credit card machine and hit her over the head with it, and knock that smug little grin off her face. She dragged her poor little girl out to stand in the cold and snow and had proposed to hitch-hike over Lizard Head Pass (el 12,000 ft !) with a small child in tow in the middle of the night. When there's a bus that will take an adult from Cortez to Grand Junction in comfort for only $99.00 (don't know the rate for children, but I'm sure it's less than $99.00). From the size of her wad, Ms. North could easily have afforded this.

Had it been a Monday, I would have called social services and reported her for child endangerment!

The other group got the Western Union from their aunt, payed their room in full, and went off to City Market to buy food for their kids and themselves.

Go figure. I can't. The longer I work at that place, the more cynical I get.

Last edited by SamIam; 04-10-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:

But Little Miss North turns out to be a coniver and a con. She waltzed into the office around check-out time and - now, that there were no cops around - pulled a large roll of cash from her back pocket, gave me hundred dollar bill, and wanted another night for the cut-rate price I'd given her the night before.
maybe she just earned it last night in her motel room?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #12
SamIam

That thought occurred to me. I put her in next to 3M guy, and he said it was so noisey next door, he couldn't sleep! Poor guy.