The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-08-2009, 04:42 AM   #1
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Peanuts

Working on the theory that a randomly chosen topic can shake out all sorts of weird stories from dwellars, I decided to make a thread about peanuts. What strange facts, amusing anecdotes, or perilous encounters, can you share that relate in some way to peanuts?

Here's mine:
Many years ago I was hanging out with a friend, Jeremy, and, among other things, eating some M&Ms he had brought.
"I think these taste better than the regular M&Ms" he said, "They have peanut butter in them."
As a habitual prankster I sat up, looked worried, stopped eating, and demanded "do these have PEANUTS in them???"
He took the bait: "YES! WHY????"
"Good!" I replied, and popped another into my mouth. "I like peanuts."

He called me evil after that. He may have been right.

A day later we were with a mutual friend and Jeremy retold the story, and we had a good laugh.
Then he added "...and it really freaked me out because the earliest memory I have is of my younger brother being rushed madly to hospital with a severe peanut allergy..."

The brother lived, I am very glad to report!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:55 AM   #2
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Lots of peanuts are grown locally around here. For years people, mostly men, would bring a sample of their "Hot boiled peanuts" to various work sites for people to sample. It is like a competition among the old guys to see who has the best hot boiled peanuts. We had never heard of such a thing until we moved from the North to the South. During the time of maturity you will see stands along the road selling Hot Boiled Peanuts. Some are very tastey, some are like mush, some are under cooked and difficult to eat. The best ones are infused with a hot sauce during cooking that makes them spicey. Tales from the South.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:00 AM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh it's not fair. I used to like peanuts. Especially peanut butter, or chocolate bars with peanuts in mmmm....and my dreams still occasionally include some peanut brittle....

Anyway. Nuff of that. Can't touch 'em.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

The old classic: I was at a bar and I looked at the bartender very sadly. He asked what was wrong. I choked up a bit and said that the guy down the bar had peanuts, and I had none. I said I had peanuts envy.

I got my peanuts. Anyway, that is an oldie but a goodie.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

there called goobers, aren't they?

My fave goober story is Brer Rabbit and the Goober patch...do you know Brer Rabbit in Oz, Zen?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Shawnee123

Weird, I was thinking about Brer Rabbit and Brer Bear and Brer Fox the other day.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Weird, I was thinking about Brer Rabbit and Brer Bear and Brer Fox the other day.
that is weird. Why were you thinking of them? Student recall them to you?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 04-08-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Oh it's not fair. I used to like peanuts. Especially peanut butter, or chocolate bars with peanuts in mmmm....and my dreams still occasionally include some peanut brittle....

Anyway. Nuff of that. Can't touch 'em.
I understand this feeling completely.

—James Barrie

Old 04-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
that is weird. Why were you thinking of them? Student recall them to you?
I don't know. I was driving home from work and the briar patch and the whole thing popped into my head. As is evidenced by many of my posts, it doesn't take much to trigger obscure pop culture references in my head. I was thinking about the whole tar baby thing. Weird.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

whatever you do, don't throw him in that briar patch! Anything but that!

—James Barrie

Old 04-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
Shawnee123

lol
Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 AM   #12
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Brer rabbit did make an appearance in my childhood.

He's probably been ecologically corrected to Brer bandicoot by now. "Oh please don't throw me into the endangered native grasses!"
Old 04-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
He's probably been ecologically corrected to Brer bandicoot by now. "Oh please don't throw me into the endangered native grasses!"
Oh, never fear, he has been. I bought a Brer RAbbit book down in NOLA. All cleaned up, it was. Disappointing. The whole POINT is the vernacular.

—James Barrie

Old 04-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #14
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

You're gonna love my nuts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0cgQkT4ScQ

Wonder if they did this on purpose.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #15
Shawnee123

An interesting bit about tar baby origins, from wiki.

Quote:
According to James Mooney in "Myths of the Cherokee",[14] the tar baby story may have been influenced in America by the Cherokee "Tar Wolf" story, which is unlikely to have been derived from similar African stories: "Some of these animal stories are common to widely separated [Native American] tribes among whom there can be no suspicion of [African] influences. Thus the famous "tar baby" story has variants, not only among the Cherokee, but also in New Mexico, Washington [State], and southern Alaska -- wherever, in fact, the pine supplies enough gum to be molded into a ball for [Native American] uses...". In the Tar Wolf story, the animals were thirsty during a dry spell, and agreed to dig a well. The lazy rabbit refused to help dig, and so had no right to drink from the well. But she was thirsty, and stole from the well at night. The other animals fashioned a wolf out of tar and placed it near the well to scare the thief. The rabbit was scared at first, but when the tar wolf did not respond to her questions, she struck it and was held fast. Then she struggled with it and became so ensnared that she couldn't move. The next morning, the animals discovered the rabbit and proposed various ways of killing her, such as cutting her head off, and the rabbit responded to each idea saying that it would not harm her. Then an animal suggested throwing the rabbit into the thicket to die. At this, the rabbit protested vigorously and pleaded for her life. The animals threw the rabbit into the thicket. The rabbit then gave a whoop and bounded away, calling out to the other animals "This is where I live!".