The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

View Poll Results: Do you trust Wikipedia?
As much as any other source. 18 51.43%
I take it with a grain of salt. 15 42.86%
Not as far as I can throw it. 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
Flint
Snowflake

Trust Wikipedia?

Do you think a volunteer-written encyclopedia can maintain a high standard of accuracy, or do you think alot of bad information probably slips through the cracks? In this article: deliberate (and subtle) deceptions were corrected within three hours.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

it depends on the subject, but i trust it less than i trust the cellar. if you've got a question and you drop it on the cellar you'll usually get the info you need from a source that doesn't want to blow their credibility by spouting stupid BS. unless you're talking politics or nipple pics. then we're all about the silly stuff.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Well. I just asked it some questions the answers to which are subject to a lot of historical inaccuracy and controversy and was quite surprised to find it had taken account of current historical scholarship. I wouldn't cite it in an essay.....but it could be useful if you are just looking for a few quick facts.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I think enough people access it for it to be broadly accurate. I tend to use it to double check something I already had an idea about.

I've certainly spotted some inaccuracies, but mostly in the details.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
glatt

I voted for "As much as any other source" but what I was really voting for was "as much as any other source on the web."

Wikipedia is quite accurate, and very convenient. It's not perfect. But I know of no quicker way to look something up quickly to get a good answer. If you want to really dig into a topic, I wouldn't stop at wikipedia, but it's a great starting point. If I was still doing research papers, I would probably use it as a research tool to get an overview of the subject and then dig further for more information from a more established reputable source.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

It depends on the topic. If I judge it to be relatively non-controversial general knowledge (example: who was President of the United States in 1837? What year did A Chorus Line premier on Broadway? What's the quadratic formula?) then for my purposes Wikipedia is as good as any other general reference source.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:39 AM   #7
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I think one responsible source is just as reliable as another. I do check multiple sources for the same information. That includes Wikipedia as a cross reference. Wikipedia includes many links to cross reference information of which I like.

edited for tw

Last edited by skysidhe; 11-13-2006 at 02:32 PM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #8
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
I think one source is just as reliable as another.
So Rush Limbaugh was as reliable as Peter Jennings? I suspect you were limiting the context to 'responsible sources'. Responsible sources, for example, provide reasons for their conclusions - explain the underlying principles, related theories, numerical facts, citations, and peer review. Same report from Daily News (tabloid) and Philly Inquirer (broadsheet). Simplistic Daily News version without related details and reasons 'why' also provided an erroneous and distorted conclusion. Classic example of lying by telling half truths - or why propaganda works. The Daily News report was too short - an executive summary. Executive summary is for those who only need 'feel' informed.

To actually know something, the entire report or white paper must be read. Executive who make decisions from executive summaries are also called MBAs. Reader who learns without demanding details, underlying principles, related theories, etc are best described as uneducated. Major difference between Peter Jennings and Rush Limbaugh. Rush hypes what his daily White House fax told him to say - without underlying details. Peter Jennings demanded more of his reporters - demanded details and supporting evidence before he would even report it.

Who would you believe? Wikipedia or Rush Limbaugh? That should be obvious. But an answer without including ‘why’ means that answer is in error - has no credibility - is so unreliable as to be ignored. Question atop this paragraph demonstrates the concept – the point. Those underlying principles are, for example, why I so forcefully disputed Saddam's WMDs as advocated in 2002, was confident in what I posted, and why I saw a 1990 invasion of Kuwait as inevitable months before Saddam attacked. You know credibility in details. We knew Saddam and bin Laden did not conspire because we knew the men’s history, objectives, etc. Those who met the definition of ‘uneducated’, instead, believed a lying president who blamed 11 Sept on Saddam. Not all sources are worthy or meet the definition of reliable. Fox News has a credibility problem for obvious reasons as defined above.

Do I trust Wikipedia? Compared to what?

Last edited by tw; 11-13-2006 at 11:51 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I can not believe any single source, before I quote any thing I check for other sources, and comments. Anything published will be colored by the writer, or editor. Encyclopedia and other reference materials are as vulnerable as news sources to creative editing. Even trusted sources should be treated as suspect until you check all available sources.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:45 PM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Having read other replies and given this more thought I think for me Wikipedia's best aspect is that it references cultural phenomenon.

When I read a reference to Jonestown and poisoned KoolAid in a Stephen King book back in the 80s I actually ended up going to the reference library to find out more, because no-one I asked knew what I was talking about.

Now I can check Wikipedia if something is referenced in a book or film. Including things like TV series, catchphrases, even random events mentioned by Dwellars.

Yes, I could just Google them - but if all I have is a few words, and I'm interested in an explanation not a sales pitch I'll usually check there first.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Wikipedia is absolutely one of the internet's best results, a coalescing of the net's wisdom that has become a vital resource. With it, the collective accuracy rate of the world rises; if Wikipedia is only 97% accurate, that's an improvement over the 60% (source: my asshole) you'd get with a simple Google search.

A tremendous amount of foresight and good decisions have gone into the thing, and I'm the usual techno-optimist but I think it is part of the net revolution that makes us all more productive and innovative.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Wikipedia is absolutely one of the internet's best results, a coalescing of the net's wisdom that has become a vital resource.
I agree. Did you follow the link in my initial post? It pretty much disproves the criticisms of the collective structure Wikipedia utilizes.

"The fibs that professor Alexander Halavais slipped in were deviously subtle: that abolitionist Frederick Douglass, lived in Syracuse, N.Y. for four years, and that the Disney film The Rescuers Down Under won an Oscar for film editing. Both are false, but would you have doubted these "factoids"?

Halavais hypothesized that the obscure errors would "languish online for some time," the Chronicle reported. Instead the Wikipedia volunteers eliminated all the fabrications within three hours of being posted."

Old 11-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #13
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
I suspect you were limiting the context to 'responsible sources'.
ah yes. Thanks for clearning that up.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:40 PM   #14
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Wikipedia will never be Encyclopedia Britannica. Too many people messing in too many pots to keep track of. That is not, however, to say that Wikipedia is not useful. Most of the time that I go to wp, I do not care whether it is an authoritative reference on the topic.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #15
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
Too many people messing in too many pots to keep track of.
Or, you could say: so many people fact-checking that it is guaranteed to be highly accurate, as this article suggests.