The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
glatt

When you camp with a dog, do you put them on a leash? Are you afraid they are going to take off into the woods when they pick up some scent?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Oh here I go again:

Not Jack. He knows where to go and where not to go.

I do wonder about coyotes. My brother's family got home the other night and they were at the intersection of his yard and his field. I don't know if they've counted the barn cats lately.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
When you camp with a dog, do you put them on a leash? Are you afraid they are going to take off into the woods when they pick up some scent?
Ours are leashed. The last time we took them out they almost made off with the picnic table they were tied to in pursuit of a squirrel.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #19
IamSam
Now living the life of a POW

Quote:
Most campgrounds administered by the Forest Service and/or the National Parks require that dogs be leashed at all times. This is just one more reason why I prefer to camp on BLM lands. They mostly don't care if dogs are leashed or not, and it's almost always legal to camp where you please and leave the official campgrounds out of the equation entirely.

I allow Wyn to go without a leash when there's no rules against it. He has a great time running around. He chases after rabbits, and one time he tried to go after a deer (I don't know what the hell he was planning to do with it if he actually caught it). But he never really goes all that far, and there's seldom a problem with him returning. Having a dog with short legs can make life easier - sometimes.

The second time I broke camp when Wyn was along, he wouldn't come when I called - he must have been hot on the trail of the scent of an elk - screw the deer. So, I got in the truck, slamming the door loudly and slowly began to drive away. Sure enough when I glanced in my rear view, I saw a dog chasing after the truck, running as fast as his short legs allowed. This tactic has worked like a charm every time since.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #20
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Depends on the dog and location. I think Benny would stick pretty close, he always circles back around when we hike.