Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #46
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I had asthma

(I got better)

It was no party. Made the ER a couple times.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 AM   #47
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Rather than the vaccination theory, I favour the hygiene hypothesis. Our immune systems are (roughly) bored because of the super-sterile environment we raise kids in, and will attack anything that looks suspicious - pollen, dust mites (i.e. asthma), peanuts, etc etc.

Did you know that the words vaccination and buckeroo are related?
Old 04-09-2009, 04:54 AM   #48
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

One theory also put forward is that people with allergies (of any kind) tend to have baby eczema of some kind, which means they usually end up with cremes being applied. Many of the steroid based cremes apparently have/had peanut in them (like with the vaccines). It's thought this might have sparked off sensitivity in youngsters.

On the peanut allergy incidence rates: one problem with ascertaining any rise in cases is that prior to it becoming something everybody knows about, peanut allergy deaths may well have been misdiagnosed as something else.

Quote:
Rather than the vaccination theory, I favour the hygiene hypothesis. Our immune systems are (roughly) bored because of the super-sterile environment we raise kids in, and will attack anything that looks suspicious - pollen, dust mites (i.e. asthma), peanuts, etc etc.
I had severe allergies, eczema and asthma from a very young age and I was very much not raised in a sterile envrionment. I was raised in a normal 70s house with cats and dogs and dust and dirt and all the rest of it. Didn't even have a duvet til I was 10, we had blankets and sheets. I and my friends played in parks and derelict factories, the old dentist surgery (amazing what you can find in a dentists bins!) and so on. My immune system was not bored. It had plenty to do with all the normal toxins and dangers of the world and a tidy, but not over clean home.

I only lived in a 'sterile' environment between ages 12-14, and that was as a response to severe allergies rather than the cause of them.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #49
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post

Did you know that the words vaccination and buckeroo are related?
No I didn't, how?

The hygiene angle makes sense in theory, but in reality not so much (I don't think people are nearly as clean as they think they are, think kitchen sponges etc. - tons of germs)... Look at college dorms and day care centers. They should be the healthiest places around, plenty of germs and over crowding to keep the immune systems of those within entertained - instead they are generally the source of the outbreaks of measles and meningitis etc. that you see on the news.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #50
Pie
Gone and done

'cept that the immune system is largely trained in the first year of life. By the time they make it to college (or daycare, in a large number of cases) the immune system is as trained as it's going to get.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #51
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Proponents of the "leaky gut" theory (which I subscribe to at least insofar as it can lead to autistic behaviors) say that it is the fact that these foods are getting out into our bloodstream where they shouldn't be which causes the unnatural immune response. A majority of autistic kids also have eczema, allergies, asthma, and/or chronic ear infections, and when they go on the diet all of these symptoms miraculously clear up as well--even if they were allergic to say, eggs, which they can still eat on the diet.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #52
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Do they have any theories on what has made more recent generations guts leakier than the previous ones?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #53
jinx
Come on, cat.

All infants have an "open gut" (it benefits their immune system), which is the reason for the recommendation to avoid giving them anything but breast milk for the first 6 months, and common allergens for at least a year.

Food allergies can cause skin reactions, and can also cause skin reactions in the intestines. The damage from that can cause the leaky gut.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #54
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I couldn't tolerate breast milk. Talk about making the family nuts.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #55
jinx
Come on, cat.

That used to be a pretty common diagnosis Bruce but it's very unlikely that it was actually true, although it's likely that you couldn't tolerate something in your mothers breast milk.

My daughter could not tolerate cow milk proteins and projectile vomited all over the place for the first few weeks of her life until I got my system clear of dairy. Even non-dairy creamer in my coffee would set her off, so I had to be really careful. I didn't give her anything but breast milk until she was almost 11 mos because I was afraid she would have bad reactions to other things, but she's healthy as a horse now... never been to the doctor because of illness, never had an antibiotic or anything.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #56
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Yup. Peanuts are one of those foods that make my lips go numb and my throat start to tighten up a little. I've never had a full blown anaphylactic response to peanuts (though I have to other foodstuffs), but I figure it's probably not worth taking the chance, since I do react a little.
What you are experiencing is known as a sensitization reaction. You are having pre-anaphylactic or anaphylactoid signs and symptoms. The bad thing is that you will not know when the big one will come. But your body responds a little stronger after each exposure. You may want to consider obtaining an epinepherine auto-injector from the local hospital of pharmacy to keep in your purse. It may save your life some day. Just a thought.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #57
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I had no idea about the peanut cake meal thing, but I've been blaming all these new-fangled vaccinations for things we used to just get as children for the rise in peanut allergies ... think back ... if you're over or around 40 ... while you were growing up did you know anybody with a peanut allergy?

I don't remember knowing anyone with asthma, either ... well, except for that one weird fat kid that wheezed all the time and had a note to skip gym. Actually, I made that up. He wasn't overweight.
I agree. I am not sure that we can blame vaccinations for much of this. I think it has more to do with the food manufacturing end and how that may have changed as well as how our diets have moved to things that are more fast food and processed foods.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #58
jinx
Come on, cat.

Merc, can you explain in further detail why you look to fast/processed food as the peanut allergy cause?

I think one argument for the vaccine or baby lotion theories, as opposed to diet, is that the age of diagnosis/onset is lowering as the prevalence is rising. This suggests that first exposure is happening earlier - possibly even earlier than peanuts *should be* in an infant/toddler's diet at all. I can't imagine that people are becoming less careful about this with as much press as it's gotten... but who knows.

Quote:
linkPatients born during or after 2000 were first exposed to peanuts at a median age of 12 months; this compares with 19 months in those born before 2000. Children born in or after 2000 had their first reaction to peanuts at a median age of 14 months, while those born before 2000 first reacted at a median age of 21 months. The time from first exposure to first reaction was not significantly different in the 2 groups.

This study indicates that children are being exposed to peanuts and are reacting to them at younger ages than in the past. Earlier reactions may be a consequence of earlier exposure. Although allergies may be more likely to be diagnosed because of an increased awareness among parents and physicians, the trend is still of concern.

Incidentally, we just got home from my 9 y/o nephew's birthday party. Of 10 kids, 2 of them (unrelated) have severe peanut allergies.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #59
TheMercenary

I think it generally because peanuts have found their way into many processed foods that are fed to children at an early age.

FDA Inspections Find Undisclosed Allergens In Processed Food

Quote:
WASHINGTON - A new unpublished government report reveals that numerous processed foods are contaminated with peanut or egg allergens, but their labeling does not disclose the presence of those substances.
http://www.cspinet.org/new/allergens.html

Quote:
Peanuts are among the most common allergy-causing foods. But because a peanut allergy is less likely to be outgrown than allergies to other foods, it becomes more common among older kids and adults. It's likely that more Americans are allergic to peanuts than any other food.

Peanuts are actually not a true nut, but a legume (in the same family as peas and lentils). When someone with a peanut allergy is exposed to peanuts, the immune system mistakenly believes that proteins (or allergens) in the peanut are harmful to the body.
Quote:
Peanut reactions can be very severe, even with extremely small amounts of exposure. This might be because the immune system recognizes peanut proteins easier than other food proteins.

The allergens in peanuts are similar in structure to allergens in tree nuts. This may explain why almost half of people who are allergic to peanuts are also allergic to tree nuts, such as almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, macadamias, pistachios, pecans, and cashews.

People who are allergic to one tree nut are often allergic to at least one or two other tree nuts. As with peanuts, tree nut reactions can be very severe, even with small exposures. Research has shown that peanuts are the #1 culprit of fatal food allergy reactions, followed by tree nuts.
http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutriti...t_allergy.html

Quote:
Why the increase in peanut allergies?

Studies show that there has been a sharp increase in peanut allergies over the last 5-10 years, particularly in children, not only in the US but in Australia and the UK. A common question is why? Although no definitive answer is available, there are several theories:

that we introduce peanuts to children too early;

the increased use of soy in formula and other processed food (soy and peanut are both beans);

and the use of roasted peanuts in food (heating changes the protein which the body is more likely to react to), rather than raw/boiled peanuts.

The hygiene hypothesis which believes that our immune systems have little to fight anymore because we live in a cleaner, healthier, antibacterial world and therefore, the immune system reacts to certain food proteins and mistakes them for a threat.

A lowered immune function due to increased antibiotic use, vaccinations, high processed food and pesticide use are also factors to be considered.
http://www.beyondapeanut.com/Peanut_...formation.html

In the end I think the jury is still out on the why from a professional standpoint.

Quote:
Peanut allergies seem to be on the rise in children. In the United States, the number of children with peanut allergy doubled between 1997 and 2002. Subsequent studies in the United Kingdom and Canada also showed a high prevalence of peanut allergy in schoolchildren. Unlike egg and cow’s milk allergies, which most children outgrow, peanut allergies tend to be life-long. Recent studies, however, indicate that approximately 20% of peanut-allergic children do eventually outgrow their allergy.

The peanut (Arachis hypogaea) is not really a nut, but a kind of legume. It is related to other beans, such as peas, lentils, and soybeans. People with peanut allergy are not necessarily allergic to other legumes (even soy, another of the “big eight” food allergens), so be sure to speak with your doctor before assuming that you have to avoid these protein-rich foods. A person with a peanut allergy may also be allergic to tree nuts (almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, etc.). In fact, some 30-40% of people who have peanut allergy also are allergic to tree nuts. Not surprisingly, allergists usually tell their peanut-allergic patients to avoid tree nuts.

Researchers have isolated three major peanut allergens. They are trying to learn why peanuts cause such severe reactions and why the number of people who suffer from peanut allergy is increasing. Investigators also are trying to develop therapies that would prevent anaphylaxis in people with peanut allergies.
http://www.faiusa.org/?page=peanuts

Unusal case report of an infant with a peanut allergy:

http://www.breatherville.org/2009/02...llergy-puzzle/

from the above link:
Quote:
Hide and Seek
In light of the test results and the family’s experiences, James’ physician agreed that he had a serious peanut allergy and recommended the whole family steer clear of peanuts and keep auto-injectable epinephrine on hand at all times. Peanut butter was out and reading food labels was in!

Although new food labeling laws make finding peanuts in food much easier, some not-so-obvious places peanuts may be hiding include

Arachis oil - another name for peanut oil
Artificial tree nuts - sometimes peanuts are flavored to taste like other nuts
Chocolate candies - some chocolates are produced on equipment used for processing peanuts or foods that contain peanuts
Nut butters - some alternatives to peanut butter are processed on the same equipment used to make peanut butter
Sunflower seeds - many brands are processed on equipment used to process peanuts
Grain breads, salad dressings, energy bars and marzipan also can contain peanuts. Peanut butter may be used to thicken sauces - even spaghetti sauce. With so many uses for peanuts, it’s easy for children with peanut allergy to accidentally eat peanuts: A 2006 study of schoolchildren in Quebec, Canada, found an annual incidence rate of more than 14 percent!
Another possible source of exposure:

Quote:
Peanut proteins do cross into breastmilk, although research has not shown a clear link between breastmilk exposure and peanut allergy in children. There is also evidence of cross-sensitivity to soy-based formulas. Other routes of exposure can include use of skin creams containing peanut oils.
http://www.babygooroo.com/index.php/...-the-big-deal/

So as we can see the possibility of early exposure to the antigen can occur through a number of potential sources. But again, I don't think anyone can be sure. One thing is clear is that the statistics of incidence of the allergy have grown exponentially.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #60
jinx
Come on, cat.

Thanks Merc, interesting stuff. I am/was under the impression that food labeling had been improving, but not for any good particular reason... just seems that there's more of it and it's more thorough than when I was a kid. If it's not accurate though...
I wonder if there was a change in food labeling or enforcement in the 90's that's relevant. Definitely worth looking into, and it's pretty clear that the FDA is friggin joke.

I would like to read more about the severe reaction in the 3 mo old infant, if you come across anything.