The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #1246
glatt

Aw crap. I just had a vague recollection that my passport was going to be expiring in a few months, so I dug it out and see that it expired back in August. How did I let that happen? I think renewing an expired passport involves more red tape and money than otherwise. Rats. I don't have any trips planned, but now that I don't have a valid passport, I'm feeling all trapped and confined.

December is pretty busy, so I'll focus on this in January. Maybe by the Fall I'll have my new passport in hand.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #1247
shina
Hopeful

In FL I used a little passport office instead of the big federal office. I was faster for getting paper done.
shina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:21 PM   #1248
busterb
NSABFD

Black, cell phone talking bitch ran into me & my pickup.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #1249
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Glatt, if you really feel like it, you can pay a fee (about $50 I think) for an "expedited" renewal. Mr. Clodfobble did it when his company unexpectedly had to send him overseas, and I think it only took a week or two. Obviously it was more money, but I seem to recall there being virtually no red tape at all.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #1250
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
Black, cell phone talking bitch ran into me & my pickup.

I'm sorry someone ran into your car buster. I'm at a loss to understand what the colour of her skin has to do with it though. I do agree that people shouldn't be on cell phones when they're driving though.

I hope the insurance covers all the damage.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:12 PM   #1251
busterb
NSABFD

Well she wasn't white, green, or any other color but black. Bitch, I'll give ya that. Not sure about it. bb
Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #1252
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Warm globally, defrost locally

Came home last night to find the basement (cellar?) unexpectedly dark. Hmmm. All (three) the circuit breakers in On position. ??? Could the lights all have burned out simultaneously? And the server? And the freezer? Wait. The wiring closet equipment is all lit. Clearly the UPS is working. Turns out there *is* another circuit breaker down here. A GFCI outlet hosting the freezer sub circuit.

Click. Reset.

Walk over to freezer. It's running. Open lid. The waterfall is dramatically backlit by the lights in the lid. For a moment. Until the breaker trips again.

Somehow,somehow, the lid to the chest freezer had a LOT of water in it. The underside of the lid is slightly concave, to accommodate more insulation, I expect. And when the lid is opened, the water drains downward, toward the hinge, pouring directly over the lid mounted lights. Pow! After the third time, I "got it", intellectually, not electrically.

I drained the lid by the light of my headlamp, drained it well. All the towels in the hamper were not enough to hold back the tide. I eventually mopped the floor dry, and swamped out the freezer compartments. The freezer held a little more than half a gallon of softened ice. I added a little bit of bleach to the mess on the inside. I don't mind telling you I had some uncomfortable flashbacks to the last time I had to use bleach on a chest freezer.

It's all shiny clean now. Plugged in and working. Well. I thought it was working when I went to bed last night. This morning, it hadn't frozen anything. Looks like it'll be a white Christmas after all. On the inside of our new freezer, anyway.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:28 AM   #1253
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I go to take a shower this morning and the water is ice cold. Doesn't change and get warmer. The sinks are all running warm water, though. Damn it, sponge bath!
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #1254
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Today: getting blamed by all bigwigs who don't know what the eff is going on with scholarships. Sheesh. Earn your freaking 70 grand a year, will ya?

edit: cheese and rice..I run queries, put them into spreadsheets, do the v-lookups, compile the information simplistically, and boss turns around and runs her own because she didn't understand mine? I looked at hers and wondered what the fuck she was talking about. Where's the freaking bottom line which is what we need to know for awarding the freaking spring scholarships. I even get ribbed because my meeting request wasnt' set up the way one person likes it. Fuck being chair...all the grief, caught in the middle, none of the pay.

[/usual rant]

Last edited by Shawnee123; 12-12-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:25 PM   #1255
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
Well she wasn't white, green, or any other color but black. Bitch, I'll give ya that. Not sure about it. bb
Retraction! The driver was a 17 year old boy. I assumed the lady that asked if I was ok was the driver. Sorry.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #1256
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Shawnee-Well if no one knows what's going on with a simple spreadsheet or database, I suggest you award yourself a scholarship!
:p
Old 12-12-2007, 01:08 PM   #1257
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

lol...damn this honesty! What a cross to bear.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #1258
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Eczema is pretty frikkin bad right now. Don't want to go outside the house or be sociable at all when like this. My own fault, burning candle at both ends for weeks trying to catch up and get assignments in on time, but still pretty annoying.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #1259
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Author Terry Pratchett has been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's. (Link to the article at cnn.com here.)

He plans to keep writing for a while, but I will be absolutely heartbroken when he decides to retire.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #1260
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

shit that's awful. Poor Terry.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss