The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #2476
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
One suggestion for all. If you use a credit card online get one with a $500 limit and keep it separate from your other accts. Use ONLY this one online. The damage, hassles and losses for everything and everyone will be infinitely less.
$500? But then I would have to pay it off every month!

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #2477
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Hmm... I might just do that, classic. I've never even thought about online safety, because normally my credit card company is really, really good at flagging suspicious activity and calling immediately. They've called 3 or 4 times when I did something unusual, and when Mr. Clod's card number was stolen awhile back they caught it within hours. I have absolutely no idea why this activity wasn't noticed by their fraud algorithms: first thousands upon thousands of dollars in cash advances (and I've never, ever done a cash advance on my card) at three separate locations, then a dozen grocery store sprees in a foreign country--plus meanwhile, I'm still making my normal purchases in retail outlets in my home country. I had to be the one to contact them, after my card got declined because Eurotrash McDouchebag had hit my credit limit.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #2478
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
$500? But then I would have to pay it off every month!
Yeh - the fiscal responsibility of it all is a relentless reminder

You can adjust the amount to whatever you want though. Mine is $500 just because thats more than I ever spend online in a month and the least I could get.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #2479
SamIam

I use one of those pre-paid cards for Internet purchases. It only costs $3.00 to load one, and anyone who tries to run amuck with it is going to be severely disappointed.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #2480
Pie
Gone and done

I was the victim of credit card fraud back in 1999 -- someone at the graduate school admissions office was scamming SSNs from student applications. It was obviously not my card, not my fault; the credit card company absolved me of all liability. I was advised to put a warning in my credit report mandating that I be contacted at the listed telephone number before any credit cards could be issued.

Quote:
One suggestion for all. If you use a credit card online get one with a $500 limit and keep it separate from your other accts.
Wouldn't work for me; I routinely buy things online that are in the multiple thousand dollar range. (Like airfare to India.) I know what the policy of my credit card company is, and I am comfortable with that. It's my only credit card.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #2481
classicman

Gotcha - thats why I said . . .
Quote:
You can adjust the amount to whatever you want though. Mine is $500 just because thats more than I ever spend online in a month and the least I could get.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #2482
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Sick day today. Almost lost my voice yesterday, couldn't hear anything, sinus pain kept me from sleeping, was supposed to show the program to some folks today, and CPS came by... again. People treat kids decently kbythx.
Did you go from there to a vomit and runs stage? I did. Not fun.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #2483
Griff
still says videotape

I took a pass on the vomit bit. I was really nauseous Thursday but held off. The shitz were fully engaged.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #2484
lookout123
changed his status to single

Stupid people.

Lil Lookout and some of his friends were playing airsoft wars yesterday and the big brothers were pounding on them so I took them all out to a spot we use for paintball and the like. This is the middle of the desert, literally a 30 minute hike to the nearest road. We have trenches, foxholes, and forts built in and around the base of the mountain there.

Picture kids ranging from 8-12 decked out in camouflage running around shooting the hell out of each other. I was playing too but I don't have the protective equipment the kids do so I was just wearing regular khaki type clothing, safety goggles, and a Shemagh* wrapped around my head and face so I wouldn't pelted on my bald head.

An older couple came out of the desert yelling at me. Apparently they had been hiking and thought they were witnessing some sort of "arab terrorist training". I looked at the kids all geared up and couldn't help laughing. The guy got really pissed when I laughed at him and asked what possible mission could I be training 20 midgets with toy guns for? Dumbass.

Attached Images

Old 02-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #2485
classicman

Redneck/"I hear them thar A-rabs start early, doncha no?"/dialect
Old 02-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #2486
Pie
Gone and done

Muad'Dib approves.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #2487
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
An older couple came out of the desert yelling at me. Apparently they had been hiking and thought they were witnessing some sort of "arab terrorist training". I looked at the kids all geared up and couldn't help laughing. The guy got really pissed when I laughed at him and asked what possible mission could I be training 20 midgets with toy guns for? Dumbass.

TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #2488
glatt

Met with a vendor this morning because I'm trying to evaluate pricing from a bunch of different competitors. He gave me his info, and a box filled with packs of jelly beans. Cool, right? Well these are gourmet beans, and about 2/3 of them are like earwax flavor or some various nasty shit like that. So I see a card in the box with pictures of all the different bean varieties. I go to read what the flavors are so I can avoid the nasty ones, and the inside of the card has some ad copy about how some surprises are fun, and some aren't, so go with these guys since they won't surprise you. And they never tell me how to identify the good jelly beans.

I'm tempted to blacklist them for making me eat crappy jelly bean flavors. But I won't.

edit: Wait, I just noticed they want me to go to their website to get the real list of jelly beans. That's even worse.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #2489
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Email them: CASH BRIBES ONLY

or Lookout's midget terrorists will paintball them!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #2490
Griff
still says videotape

I posted on the impeding healthcare thread... wtf was I thinking?

Tags
mild cheddar