The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-18-2004, 08:43 AM   #31
breakingnews
Q_Q

Goddamn that looks fancy. There are larger carts around the city - they have to get towed by cars as well. But I have seen a commissary where the carts are stored - and that made me never want to eat anything off one of those carts ever again. Until I got piss drunk and ate two shish kebabs at 2 am.

It's hard to describe a Gray's hot dog - a butcher shop here in NYC makes them specially for the store (there are three or four locations around the city). As my friend says, they "snap." Really juicy, thinner style dog. I reckon they sell about 6 hot dogs every minute, and I have never not waited in line for at least 5 minutes. I personally am a huge fan of their stewed onions - sauteed and then simmered in a bit of tomato juice and vinegar. Also have sauerkraut available for those who desire.

But their juices - that might be the big kicker. Great selection at dirt cheap prices. They're talking about a price increase to help cover rent hikes - the "Recession Special" will soon be a whoppin' $2.75.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 08:56 AM   #32
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Do they grill, steam, or boil their dogs? And the thought of having my own dogs made by the meat shops around here. There's a ton of Mexican butcher shops. I was going to just use Hebrew Nationals which are very good dogs, and everyone other than vegetarians can eat them. I was considering keeping a veggie dog because LA has a lot of vegetarians, but really that's sacrilege for hot dog purists. I was also considering doing a beer steamed coney island dog.

Most of the carts in LA are illegal ones and aren't very clean. In downtown, they've rigged up golf carts to make hot dog carts you can drive around. Usually the Mexican carts have a grill and they grill onions, and wrap the dogs in bacon when they cook them. I'm not sure what the health rules are with carrying raw pork around on a cart. My guess is it's not legal. But those dogs are really good and you smell the bacon a block away.

They usually set up these carts outside of clubs so when people are leaving and are hungry from dancing and stuff, they grab a dog.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:20 AM   #33
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Do they have a kind of predatory system of cart owners "owning" various locations? Is violence involved? (I've heard it is in other places)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 09:57 AM   #34
breakingnews
Q_Q

NYC is notorious for the nightclub carts. I've dumped plenty of money on those things late at night.

Gray's is also open 24/7, which surprisingly is a huge thing here in the city. It reaffirms my belief that a Waffle House will do very well here (I plan to look into opening one when I have more time to research).

They grill their dogs, but on a flat-top griddle. Literally line 'em up 100 at a time, let it char on one side, then flip and char the other. So effin' good. I've eaten 8 in a single sitting before.

The other popular thing here is "street meat" - like gyros and grilled chicken shish kebab platters and the like. Those carts line every street for 5 blocks near Rockefeller Center, and there are some damn good carts in east Midtown as well. $4 for a huge thing of grill lamb on rice with veggies is a fab lunchtime deal.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:35 AM   #35
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

In the random idea department, I'd submit that hot dog cart to MTV's Pimp My Ride just to see if you get lucky!

Ohhhh if I had more time I'd be doing some major photoshopping.

Consider doing something funky with the cart - here's some random images:

add a canopy (good on a rainy day) - maybe like a beach cabana
paint firestreaks on it like you would a 67 mustang (muscle car)
add a some funky wheels to it
add some really cool-looking mufflers/exhaust pipes on the bottom sticking out the side
go with a circus theme (circus tent/bright circus colors)
go with a ballpark theme - add penants and team logos

you get the picture - do something wild.

Hollywood Dogs
Dogs on the Run
Moon Dogs
Dog Weiners (ok, skip this one
Reservoir Dogs
Circus Dogs
Grand Slam Dogs
BoonDoggle
Dogs 101 (only need 5 ingredients for over 100 combinations)

just something catchy....

Good luck!

And remember - location, location, location.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:09 AM   #36
warch
lurkin old school

I have to chime in to praise the Chicago dog- Gold Coast dogs is the place/chain- the char dog is the order.
Vienna beef frank, char grilled, with all the classic Chicago trimmings- mustard, tomato, dill pickle, sport pepper, funky florescent green relish, dash of celery salt. On a soft , but not too soft bun. Perfect. Addictive.

So if you are thinking dog styles- you may be able to set a nitch and get some loyal fans by going Vienna/Chicago style. We have 3 places here that offer Chicago and they use it as a marketing point. Mount that Vienna beef sign on the outside. Its like a magnet.

In Saint paul there is a legendary classic hot dog cart. George's hot dogs. He has one of those characture sketches of him and his family on the front with giant heads and tiny bodies. Again simple, and its the face of George that sells the food as much as anything. Its George that is the marketing. Hes the cook.. Hes a smiling round man who, sells two combos- regular dog, bag o chips and a can o pop ($2ish) or you can upgrade to Polish sausage (that has the popping skin and good greasy delight, chips and pop ($2.75 I think). he offers mustard, ketchup relish, and kraut (and he puts them on). Also a few candy extras (.75) and apples. he makes change in his apron. George sets up in the same corner of a downtown park and gets the seasonal lunch crowd and orchestra, concerts and the (sniff...withdrawl....) hockey games. He always has a lunch line, and it moves fast enough, he doesnt try to offer too much. He vacations most of the deep winter and reappears as a sign of spring! He is to Rice Park what Wally the Beerman is to Twins games. You could shoot for classic.

How about Paul's Dogs? Or I like "Good Dog" . Simple, easy, if you are not linking yourself with a local, that is straight and suggestive of yumminess. I can see the logo of a well behaved mutt sitting at attention.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 11:39 AM   #37
breakingnews
Q_Q

Oh yeah, CANNOT forget spicy sausage. Those are the best on a cold day. Of course LA doesn't have too many of those, but you know. Just there for those who desire.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:44 AM   #38
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Hollywood Dogs
Dogs on the Run
Moon Dogs
Dog Weiners (ok, skip this one
Reservoir Dogs
Circus Dogs
Grand Slam Dogs
BoonDoggle
Dogs 101 (only need 5 ingredients for over 100 combinations)
Wow!!

Reservoir Dogs is brilliant!!!

Also Moon Dogs, and Hollywood Dogs.

Great stuff!!!

The Chicago Dog sounds good, although rather than use Vienna Beef dogs, I was thinking of going with Kosher Hebrew Nationals. They taste just as good and everyone can eat them.

I had heard the biggest hot dog chain in Chicago was "Woody's"

Quote:
Oh yeah, CANNOT forget spicy sausage. Those are the best on a cold day. Of course LA doesn't have too many of those, but you know. Just there for those who desire.
I was thinking about going with a spicy Polish dog, but my dad says I should grill up Italian Sausage & Pepper Sandwiches.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:56 AM   #39
glatt

If you work a hot dog stand, when and where do you go to the bathroom?

Do you lock up the whole thing and walk away, leaving it unattended? Do you wear Depends undergarments? Do you cross your legs and hold it? Pee in a cup when nobody is looking?

This is a serious question.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:01 PM   #40
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

It never crossed my mind. Good question. I'll have to ask someone running a cart. My guess is they have someone they can trust watch the cart while they take care of business.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:01 PM   #41
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I think Reservoir Dogs may be the only name that would in fact influence me to buy from that particular stand.

I don't think you should extend it to have different combos called the "Keitel", the "Buscemi" etc. That would take it too far.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:04 PM   #42
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

What about a Mr. Pink (Ketchup), Mr. Yellow (Mustard), Mr. White (Onions), etc.?
Old 11-18-2004, 12:08 PM   #43
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That would work!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:12 PM   #44
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Careful. The MPAA can be right bastards about trademarks...
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:13 PM   #45
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Seeing that you're in LA...

"Diva Dogs"...the best dressed dogs in the business.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote