The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #31
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Pierce, you have to keep her article in the context of her own background and demographic. She is an educated black woman who grew up in Savannah, a majority black town. She is often speaking to her base and to those she know will listen to her. I believe her message is on target.
I'm with Sundae Girl on this one. First, I do believe that her religous background and beliefs about sex are giving her an inconsistent view on the heath of the school. I have said it numerous times, STDs are a social issue and schools should deal with the problem. When everyone was talking about the swine flu, entire schools did everything they could to prevent the spread of it and I don't see why schools shouldn't act the same with STDs.

Second, I believe her entire article is based off a strawman. She states that schools should focus on the three As and not the three Ps. By saying this, she is making the assumption that schools can not put adequate focus on both topics, which I believe is strongly untrue because my school did just that. I agree were her fully that schools should get back to the 3 As, especially in lower income black areas, but using the 3 Ps as a scapegoat is heavily flawed in my opinion.

If she is preaching to her crowd, fine, I disagree with it but it is their decision in the end. And hell, maybe she has some insight that I do not in her community.

Also, looking at the article again, I agree with most of her body statements, which explains her stance. I disagree with the summarized message but I agree that when it comes down to STDs, just like swine flu, both the parents and schools should be notified.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #32
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Kids think they are invincible and bad things only happen to other people.
I think I disagree with this statement. I know when I was a kid, it was mostly true. But to me, kids today seem to almost WELCOME bad things happening to themselves. Like it's a badge of honor to get pregnant at 13 or contract some disease or get expelled or suspended from school.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #33
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
I think I disagree with this statement. I know when I was a kid, it was mostly true. But to me, kids today seem to almost WELCOME bad things happening to themselves. Like it's a badge of honor to get pregnant at 13 or contract some disease or get expelled or suspended from school.
This may be a location based thing.
My niece is 15 in September. She goes to the same school I went to. No-one in her class is, or was pregnant.
There was one girl pregnant in the year above me when I was at school (she ended up in my year because of this.) We were all freaked out by her.

Different kids, different values. And please note this is NOT a class issue for me. My sister's SIL (ie, same genes as the father of my niece & nephew) quit school because she was pregnant. But then her bro (my BIL) was the only father she'd ever known. Nature? Nurture? I dunno.

I just think the media like to make out that abortions are sending the world to hell in a hand-cart.
And I think they'd lead to a more civilised society.
And unfortunately the difference is religion.

But these days you can't scare the bejesus out of teenagers.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #34
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

When I was in 8th grade, they brought a guy from the health department, and he showed us medical slides of people who had STDs. Full-on shots of rotting genitalia. That scared the bejeesus out of quite a few teenagers that day, I promise you.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #35
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I agree that when it comes down to STDs, just like swine flu, both the parents and schools should be notified.
I have to partially disagree with that last part. Its much less unlikely that an abusive parent will beat their child for swine flu, but for having sex, sure would. I think it would depend on the age of the child and the specific circumstances on whether notifying the parent is a good idea. There is no good way to make a rule that would treat each child (by child i mean <18) according to special circumstances. In addition to that a child might decide to falsely accuse another of rape in order to cover for their medical condition and to keep themselves from getting into trouble for their own action. Maybe a good solution would be to give the child (if the have positive test) the option of talking to social services, or going straight to their parents.
I do think sex ed, free STD testing, pregnancy testing, and counseling in schools are all great ideas. Now, hows it gonna get paid for?
Old 08-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #36
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Pierce, you have to keep her article in the context of her own background and demographic. She is an educated black woman who grew up in Savannah, a majority black town. She is often speaking to her base and to those she know will listen to her. I believe her message is on target.
That only makes it worse, African American women count for about 60% of women with AIDS. Overall about half of those diagnosed with AIDS are African American. I had trouble finding exact information (ok I got tired of looking) but I believe African Americans also have the highest rate of teen pregnancy. Someone less lazy than me can contradict me.
Shouldn't numbers like this make any educated person want to be pro-active about reducing them through any means?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #37
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post
Shouldn't numbers like this make any educated person want to be pro-active about reducing them through any means?
Oh, and I do, which is why I posted it.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #38
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Oh, and I do, which is why I posted it.
So Merc, what do you think of the article author's thesis?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #39
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
they don't see the end result as a life changer - they always see someone else taking care of the problem or it being resolved - Which is NOT true. Sometimes good kids do stupid things not realizing it will forever alter OR END their lives.

Last edited by classicman; 08-14-2009 at 10:33 PM.
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #40
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

What ees thees theeng you call the secks?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #41
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
So Merc, what do you think of the article author's thesis?
Be more specific.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #42
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
they don't see the end result as a life changer - they always see someone else taking care of the problem or it being resolved - Which is NOT true. Sometimes good kids do stupid things not realizing it will forever alter OR END their lives.
They see how they think it makes them look in the eyes of their peers and they like it. Kids like to look older, edgier... that's why they smoke, drink, have sex etc. I agree with Cman in that they really don't understand the consequences for the most part, they just want to look cool to their friends. I remember girls in my high school that seemed proud that they got knocked around by their boyfriends - like dealing with these 'adult issues' made them more interesting.
Most people grow out of this if they don't do anything too stupid...
Old 08-24-2009, 02:53 AM   #43
Nicholas

Hi,

Sex education is a topic of great importance. So sex education is not just about our kids, it's educating a society to a new way of being and relating, to new, healthy attitudes about ourselves, other people, our world.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #44
Pie
Gone and done

The folks in question would disagree with you on the 'healthiness' of these new attitudes, Nicholas. Wherefore these problems.

BTW, welcome!
Old 08-29-2009, 02:29 AM   #45
zaithyn
Recruit or Something

Yeah, me too. I really don't like this article.