The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 10-09-2005, 11:33 PM   #1
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

creative omega-3s

I have ridiculously bad dry skin. Winter is coming. My three main hobbies are ceramics (water & clay & water & clay), playing around with my bike (grease) and photography (myriad of chemicals). My hands are fucked, and probably the rest of me, too.

I've discovered that a modest amount of omega 3 helps fairly dramatically. But it only lasts for a few days, and the easiest way I've found is to just crush and eat flax seeds, which isn't particularly fun or tasty. The tricky part is that any resource on omega-3s that I've read basically says that they need to be freshly-ground and can't really be in baked goods, on account of rampant oxidation.

If I ate more salads, I'd try making a vinegarette with flax oil instead of olive oil or whatever; I suspect it would be an enjoyable sort of vinegary, nutty and lightly seasoned sauce.

I don't though (prolly should, lazy).

So, any ideas on non-salad-dressing ways for getting more omega 3's? I'm fine with complicated and intricate, so long as it is rewarding to my taste buds.
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:43 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

If you buy free range eggs you get more Omega 3s. Salmon is high in them as well.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:53 AM   #3
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

If you like oatmeal, instant or regular, add freshly crushed flax to it right before you eat it. There are a ton of new flavors of instant varieties, I am sure you could find a couple that the nutty taste of the flax complements.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:15 AM   #4
jinx
Come on, cat.

Evening Primrose or Borage oil, in softgel/capsule form.

I bake with milled flax seed quite a bit (Jiffy banana muffin mix with added flax seed and bananas is as quick/easy as it gets). You absolutely cannot bake with flax oil, or even allow it to get warm (room temp.) or too old, which I find to be pain in the ass - but flax seed is much more stable.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #5
Pie
Gone and done

Here's how I get mine: http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item00820.html
Two capsules a day dropped my "bad" cholesterol levels by 40 points. And this particular brand doesn't seem to have a "burp" problem, unlike some. YMMV.
Here's a great primer about omega-3s (they're not all created equal!) http://clltopics.org/Phyto/Omega3.htm (Disclaimer: my mom is the author)
Old 10-10-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
Fudge Armadillo
What's the matter with you?

My primary non-fish source of Omega 3:

http://www.barillaus.com/PLUS__Omega_3.aspx
Old 10-10-2005, 04:35 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I have a question about omega-3s for those of you who are obviously knowledgeable on the subject: I am currently taking a pre-natal vitamin that has a "burp problem" as Pie described. It's not too bad, but I swear to God the burps taste exactly like sushi. I've had several weeks now to verify that I'm not insane, and it tastes the same every time. Putting on my Sherlock Holmes hat I decided that it must be the omega-3 supplement in the vitamin, since I've heard sushi has lots of omega-3s in it. Do your omega-3 vitamins taste like sushi too?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote