The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:00 AM   #16
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

I will mix my cursive with some printed letters, but I absolutely cannot STAND to see words written in lowercase and sprinkled with uppercase letters here and there!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:05 AM   #17
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinkyVixen
I've never actually analyzed my handwriting, other than to say it's not very pretty, nor is it girlie...it's more along the lines of chicken scratches, literally. I've always been jealous of those with pretty handwriting though.
That's funny. In third grade Sister Francis constantly got on me about my "chicken scratch" handwriting. It's just not something I cared about, though I always loved writing. My mom has beautiful handwriting because my grandpa made her practice and practice.

Funny thing: we were going through an audit about a year ago. The auditor was looking at files I wrote in when I had a double compound fracture of my right arm, so I was writing everything left-handed. She wondered when we had hired a 6 year old!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:58 AM   #18
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I say God bless computers. My handwriting sucked from the very beginning and hasn't gotten any better. In fact it has gotten worse. I have to write things in block letters because I can't read my cursive later on.

My typing, however, is pretty good.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #19
rkzenrage

We don't know how to churn butter or make rope anymore either. (well I do, but I'm a freak)
Old 10-12-2006, 06:00 PM   #20
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
Funny thing: we were going through an audit about a year ago. The auditor was looking at files I wrote in when I had a double compound fracture of my right arm, so I was writing everything left-handed. She wondered when we had hired a 6 year old!
Or who is the medical doctor.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:11 PM   #21
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I print. Like a seven year old. But you can read it, at least.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:32 PM   #22
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I write my lowercase a's like a print font, with that little hook on top.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #23
rock9995
Complex Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro
As far as I know, you can't take a computer in to do the essay tests.
from Retief: "Before we all either mourn or celebrate the death of Cursive, I'd like to question the evidence here. At least one piece of it seems to be the low percentage of essays on the SAT done in Cursive. Every school, book, or website that gives tips or training on doing well on the SAT includes heavy emphasis on legibility. Along with 1. have a thesis, 2. give examples, and 3. use connecting phrases, comes 4. Make It Legible. The SAT essay isn't a sample of high school students' handwriting, it is a sample of what high school students produce when told that legibility is paramount and that if the graders can't make out a word in less than one second they will ignore it. So reports of its death may be premature.

That said, whether you write cursive or print, the ability to write longhand quickly and reasonably legibly is clearly an advantage in many post high school situations. Which, of course, is the point of cursive. When it is done right it is basically sped up printing."

Now that I live in a foreign country, I always carry a little pocket notebook and jot down info--language, names, etc.--in a fraction of the time it would take to do it electronically on some thingamabob.

Whoever said above that they missed those old boxes of letters reminded me of my grandfather's beautiful script. He was taught the old Palmer method in the early 1900's and it was just amazing to look at and read. Probably pretty slow but, combined with his flowery prose, he got a lot of chicks writing like that. I guess I should say "thank God".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
I learned the cursive, but abandoned it after a year because my own style was already faster and more fun to me.
For those that print, no prob, just print fast, however cursive is faster still.

It's interesting to note the fascination that the people here, especially, have with their own handwriting. Whether y'all (sorry, I'm "Southern") like or dislike your handwriting is not so important as the fact that there is an interest, however keen or morbid, with the finished example of the complex (hand, eye and brainwise) task of producing an imprint of one's individuality for the world to see. I mean, there's no such thing as "graphoanalysis" on a keyboard-produced document. The fact that people who are more interested in self-expression--yes, I mean right here in the Cellar-- have more of an interest in the life or death of Cursive than those who know the minutiae of shallow pop-culture, i.e., who so-and-so celeb is dating or just a wee bit too sports-crazy (watching, not doing) gleaned from too much f****** television.

In several posts above, people talk about the individuality of each person's handwriting--no two are alike, right? and indeed mood-dependent--and a certain sublament about the loss of this (ahem) Window to the Soul. I type blazingly fast without a singtnle maisthtke and I guess we have to in order to communicate so much to so many in the course of the day. Still, I hope the current trend of losing the art of Cursive will slow, then stop, then start creeping back...hopefully.

And, finally:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
Synchronicity. I was going to start a thread where people post bits of their hand-writing. (I'm obsessed with mine...)
What a cool idea! Underscoring the point that anybody that likes Frank Zappa has got SOMETHING going on...

oh, yeah, interesting article:

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/...709225,00.html

Okay, I'll shut up now. <collective sigh of relief>
rock9995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #24
Zombie
Fragmented Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather
My handwriting changes dependant upon my state of mind at the time of the writing. When feeling confident and poised my letters are rounded and girlish with almost no tilt.
Hey, hey, hey... Are you trying to say that if I don't write all nice and rounded then I'm not properly girlish? :P

I'll have you know that I write in all capitals. That's right. I have permanent capslock on. My shift key is glued down. Well, it got stuck a few years back, actually, in a freak accident involving a overzealous jelly doughnut.

I also write with a Pilot Precise V5. That's got a super-fine tip for super-small writing when I need to. My text tends to vary in size and "roughness" of letters. I can be super neat and nice with uniform spacing and clean lines, or I can just stab the paper four times to make an "E" and be done with it.

I've got a moleskine notebook, one of those small pocket-size ones, and I draw little comics in it. They're stick figure, sure, but I detail everything but the people. That's mostly because I just can't draw people too terribly well. Anyway, the point of this is that I draw out something I could easily create on the computer and I handwrite all of the dialogue in order to impart a piece of myself into it.

I write and draw to clear my head and typing things out just doesn't do it as well for me. Typing things out helps to sort out my thoughts, but it doesn't let me clear my mind.

Anyway, I'm glad cursive has gone out the window. I actually had to learn that crap just so I could get my state ID. Apparently the government doesn't like when you neatly print your name in the space where it says, "Signature here" and government employees seem to completely lose any semblance of intelligent thought when you try to explain to them that that IS your signature. They then tell you that "That's your name printed. It is not a signature." and you respond by explaining that your signature IS your name printed because that is how you ALWAYS write your name.

Maybe I can finally stop having to remember how to spell my goddess forsaken last name in freaking cursive every time I need to "officially sign" something.
Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:48 PM   #25
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
That's funny. In third grade Sister Francis constantly got on me about my "chicken scratch" handwriting. It's just not something I cared about, though I always loved writing. My mom has beautiful handwriting because my grandpa made her practice and practice.

lol that's funny Shawnee Did you tell her to kiss your 6 yr old writing ass? (maybe that's why I ALWAYS get in trouble for my attitude?)
I write with my left hand when i'm bored at work or in class doodling...i always try and get myself to be ambi or something, and then i get annoyed because it takes so long to write anything with my left hand. It's fun to write with your non dominant hand though...it's always good for a laugh.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:14 AM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, Zombie.
I do the capitals only printing , rather than cursive, also. Otherwise it's garbage.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:38 PM   #27
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

My writing always throws people for a loop. I actually used to have horrible handwriting until 6th grade. I've written the same way since then with a few changes here and there...19 years now. It looks like a girl's, but it's always legible...and it's me.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote