The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #106
Ibby
erika

NBC is reporting right this minute that Biden is ON capitol hill, and a deal has been reached in the senate. They might get this shit done tomorrow.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #107
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
NBC is reporting right this minute that Biden is ON capitol hill, and a deal has been reached in the senate.
Most forget that the fiscal cliff and a resulting resolution were defined long ago by a different name:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=U-A9c6VNeRQ

Last edited by tw; 12-31-2012 at 10:39 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 PM   #108
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
AP is reporting that the house of Representatives will miss the deadline to vote on any deal with respect to the fiscal cliff.
The real deadline is the 3rd, because the new Congress takes over on the 4th, which erases any bills in progress.

Of course, the new Senate would probably be able to get it to this point again rather quickly, leaving it with the House again.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #109
asidebet
SamIWas

Live (MST) from Island in the Sky, the Lost Corners, USA:

All lemmings - please move to the back of the bus!

And we're off!

WHOOO HOOO!

Hang on California, you're next!

sent by Coyote Song, courtesy Canyonlands NP pack (union no.666)
Attached Images

Last edited by asidebet; 01-01-2013 at 01:24 AM.
asidebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #110
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Man, when TW censors himself you know things have gotten out of hand.

You know it's bad for Boehner when George Hamilton asks for his autographed bottle of Hawaiian Tropic back.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #111
tw

Capital Hill. Slowly they turned. Step by step. Inch by inch. They smashed them. They hit them. They lied about them in TV ads. Rivers of blood. Pools of blood. The blood!

Its been a long time since they called one another pal.

Meanwhile, who is the victim here. Not all are bald. And yet we all are only Curly.

Fiscal Cliff. Slowly we turned. Accusation by accusation. Job loss after job loss. Until suddenly 89 out of 97 found they really could agree.

Now let's go have an Alice in Wonderland tea party. Good reason why they call that the Lower House.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #112
asidebet
SamIWas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Capital Hill. Slowly they turned. Step by step. Inch by inch. They smashed them. They hit them. They lied about them in TV ads. Rivers of blood. Pools of blood. The blood!

Its been a long time since they called one another pal.

Meanwhile, who is the victim here. Not all are bald. And yet we all are only Curly.

Fiscal Cliff. Slowly we turned. Accusation by accusation. Job loss after job loss. Until suddenly 89 out of 97 found they really could agree.

Now let's go have an Alice in Wonderland tea party. Good reason why they call that the Lower House.
Smile when you say "tea party," Mister.

Who cares what the Senate does when the House might as well be filled with Cheshire Cats for all the good they NEVER do?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

It's a beautiful day down here at the bottom of the canyon. The Colorado River is sparkling in the winter sun and there's a couple of bighorn sheep grazing near the talus slope across the river from me. There's cliffs everywhere around here. I'm just relaxing and taking in the views. CNN and everyone else should do the same instead of attempting to herd all those cats back in DC.

Sent courtesy of the Colorado Division of Wildlife via the radio collar on a mountain lion who just landed next to me on all 4 feet. Nice kitty...

Last edited by asidebet; 01-01-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #113
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by asidebet View Post
It's a beautiful day down here at the bottom of the canyon. The Colorado River is sparkling in the winter sun and there's a couple of bighorn sheep grazing near the talus slope across the river from me.
When they say go jump off a cliff, then you will find how fiscal it can be. The day is not so beautiful when you get to the bottom.

And so the Chesire Cat (Rush Limbaugh) will laugh. He called for America to fail. And gets what he wanted because we listen to his rhetoric - and jumped off that cliff.

Fiscal Falls. Slowly we turned ...

Alice, Curly ... does not matter. We are all victims when some pal (a business school graduate) said he would fix the economy by cutting taxes for the rich. Even went to Pittsburg, Miami, Dallas and New Orleans to promoted it. Economics then took revenge - as even Curly learned.

Clearly we all need even bigger guns to solve this. Do they make depleted uranium bullets? Go nuclear for a sparkling future.

BTW, not all cats like to be petted as you might already know.

Last edited by tw; 01-01-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #114
asidebet
SamIWas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
When they say go jump off a cliff, then you will find how fiscal it can be. The day is not so beautiful when you get to the bottom.

And so the Chesire Cat (Rush Limbaugh) will laugh. He called for America to fail. And gets what he wanted because we listen to his rhetoric - and jumped off that cliff.

Fiscal Falls. Slowly we turned ...

Alice, Curly ... does not matter. We are all victims when some pal (a business school graduate) said he would fix the economy by cutting taxes for the rich. Even went to Pittsburg, Miami, Dallas and New Orleans to promoted it. Economics then took revenge - as even Curly learned.

Clearly we all need even bigger guns to solve this. Do they make depleted uranium bullets? Go nuclear for a sparkling future.

BTW, not all cats like to be petted as you might already know.
Geez, lighten up, tw! This is Sam, the one who started this stupid thread. I've e-mailed my so-called Representatives, written letters to the editor of several newspapers, voted for Obama, canvassed for the Dems prior to the election, etc., etc., etc.

You may think the situation is bad, but I'm out here in the trenches and I KNOW the situation is bad. However, RFN, the House is composed of the same ignorant, far right ideologues who are in it for some devious end of their own and Country be damned. These reptiles lack the ability to act for any reason other than a few neural sparks from their stem brains. That's not going to change today or tomorrow or next week. MAYBE when the new Congress goes into session, the House might agree to something or other.

Meanwhile, I'm just laying back and enjoying the show, because that's the only option any of us regular people in the US now have. I choose my battles and the current DC sideshow ain't one of them.

One of the nice things about being out here in Canyonlands is that the Rush Limbaugh reception is nothing but a bunch of static. Fitting, yes? So, chill out and take a couple of extra days holiday vacation, and I'll show you around. This is a spectacular place and helps put everything in its proper perspective.

PS Thank you for your concern re the mountain lion. Turns out it was just a clever ad for some smart phone outfit and created by a desperate Sri Lankan working in an outsourced anime' factory. Meow?

PSS One of the members of the Sri Lankan camera crew just told me that a Reptilican Represetative went on CNN and accused the Senate of being drunk on New Year's cheer when they passed the 2am measures this morning. The Reptilican went on to complain that Obama wanted to squander billions on stupid stuff like extending unemployment benefits and Hurricane Sandy relief. Yeah! Those stupid people who don't have jobs by now should should just go hang out in the park until a "job creator" comes along and graciously offers them a minimum wage job at Walmart. Plus, I never cared much for the East Coast myself. SCREW New Jersey! SCREW New York! If people are deluded enough to live in those places they deserve MORE hurricanes, not hurricane relief.

sent via meadow lark song

Last edited by asidebet; 01-01-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #115
Ibby
erika

BREAKING NEWS: GOP No. 2 Cantor doesn't back Senate fiscal deal, House Republicans say

Hm. this might not get sorted out today after all. All the whips must be just completely worn out from all the politician-wrangling. 's like herding cats.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #116
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by asidebet View Post
PSS One of the members of the Sri Lankan camera crew just told me that a Reptilican Represetative went on CNN and accused the Senate of being drunk on New Year's cheer when they passed the 2am measures this morning.
This situation is created by wacko tea party types (who even tried to elect a witch to the Senate from Delaware). Anybody need an archetype for this entire situation? His name is Eric Cantor. With blind followers who signed Norquist's pledge.

Senate voted 89 to 8 to solve the problem. Intelligence prevailed. But wacko extremists in the House (same people who have backstabbed Speaker Boehner) are doing exactly what Limbaugh ordered. "We want America to fail."

Only lanquid humor can comprehend their stupidity.

Who are these idiots who subverted McCain's and Romney's campaigns. And even worshipped Sarah Palen? Eric Cantor is only the prototype of the new Republican party typified by Ann Coulter.

Even Three Stoogers never performed so much violence.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #117
Ibby
erika

it's over now. at least, for two more months.
I'm not overjoyed at the deal, but it's something at least.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #118
asidebet
SamIWas

That gang of drama queens who are attempting to pass as members of a responsible legislature doesn't fool me. You can't outfox a fox and I'm staying right where I am. Going off that damned cliff once was enough trouble without having to come back out here again for Valentine's Day and having to do it all over again. You have no idea how hard it was to coax Wyn to jump off after me, him with his short little legs. And never mind the damn mountain lion scare.

Nothing has been done about the sequester other than to extend unemployment benefits and nothing has been done about the debt ceiling - just more histrionics and shoving the problem a couple of months down the road. Watching Grover Norquist posturing on CNN is worse than watching old made for TV Santa Claus movies. Yeah, Scrooge is real and Santa isn't. We know that already.

I just got a cool assignment monitoring the Colorado State Legislature for its own outrageous behavior. And I can even do this from the comfort of my new home on the banks of the Colorado River. Colorado apparently has its own version of C-Span which I can connect with via my laptop. The laptop can be recharged via my truck battery or an outlet at the Visitor's Center located just a few miles upstream from here.

I'll be doing volunteer work for the Colorado Cross Disability Coalition which does outstanding stuff on behalf of Colorado's disabled folks. Hah! The Colorado Legislature won't know what hit them. That's what happens when a gal is pushed over the edge.

Sent by a note in a bottle
Old 01-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #119
glatt

When you factor in the expiration of the payroll tax holiday and the increase from 4.3% back to 6.2% we're pretty much all going to take a hit.

Here's a chart. Not a very good one, because those bars at the top are broken, but it still gives some information. And if you have been listening to the politicians say that only those with income over $450K will be hit, you may be a little surprised by it.

Name:  1C5370220-cliff-tax-impact.streams_desktop_medium.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  24.5 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #120
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

This "deal" is a piece of shit. If you haven't figured that out yet, then you either don't care or are too partisan to understand. glatt has posted a part of it, but that is not the whole story.