Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #2446
monster
I hear them call the tide

pool's closed
Old 09-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #2447
lookout123
changed his status to single

How fucking stupid are we becoming? I just heard a long commercial on Bloomberg *i couldn't have invented this if i tried* explaining to people that the best way to deal with "cyber bullies" is to "delete the message and ignore them".

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? we really need an ad sponsored by the dept of justice and various councils telling us how to deal with trolls on the internet? if you can't figure it out on your own, you probably deserve to be a quivering slobbering bowl of pathetic stuck in your basement.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #2448
Flint
Snowflake

Idiocracy.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #2449
lookout123

and what's more - who are they targetting with that ad? it was on BLOOMBERG.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #2450
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
and what's more - who are they targetting with that ad? it was on BLOOMBERG.
little kids who use BLOOMBERG and aren't big enough to protect themselves.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #2451
lookout123

ooh, I LOVE the one with the clown in the background.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #2452
binky
all hollowed out

My best friend of 40 years may have hepititis. I hadn't seen her in a few months, and last week we visited them. She looked absolutely awful, pale, with unexplained bruising, including a full on black eye. Her pupils were freaking yellow. So I pulled her husband aside and said get her to the damn doctor, or I will. So today they went, and are waiting for test results.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #2453
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

You know what? I wish someone would do one of those Intervention episodes with me where I get sent to a fat farm for 30-60 days. I think that would do me a world of good.

I'm not losing weight...in fact, I recently hit 400 lbs. I just can't seem to stick to reasonable eating and exercise anymore. I go to the doctor Monday and will be willing to entertain his suggestions.

I'm not ready to die, but I feel like I'm at the end of my rope with my weight.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:04 AM   #2454
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
You know what? I wish someone would do one of those Intervention episodes with me where I get sent to a fat farm for 30-60 days. I think that would do me a world of good.

I'm not losing weight...in fact, I recently hit 400 lbs. I just can't seem to stick to reasonable eating and exercise anymore. I go to the doctor Monday and will be willing to entertain his suggestions.

Good luck, Sycamore. I hope your doctor is able to help. In the past few years, I've gained a bunch of weight myself, and it just doesn't seem to want to come off. I think much of my problem is lack of exercise and the slowing of the metablism which sometimes accompanies getting a little older. You have my sympathy and don't you dare die.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:41 AM   #2455
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Ahhh, Binky that's tough.
The most positive way to address it in your head is that whatever she has, she has had for some time and at least it will now be addressed and treated medically.

Syc - I feel your pain. Over the years I have yo-yo'd up and down, but my ups are gettign higher and higher. I fear I will end up one of those women I occasionally see who are in motorised chairs because they are too fat to walk (and I assume have other obesity related health issues). Either that or I'll be the raddled old crone who came in with greasy hair, dirty clothes and counted out her coppers for a pint of Stella the other night. Although I think she had mental health issues to be fair - she could have bought alcohol from a shop much cheaper.

The nurse who runs the weight loss clinic is back at the doctors this week. I've been meaning to call for an appointment, but when I remember the office is full. It's empty now... but by the time I call and explain and wait and blah blah blah I bet someone will walk back in.

Damn - I was in at 09.00 this morning (we don't usually open until 10.00 but an artist wanted an early start). Should've called then.

Keep us updated.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:22 AM   #2456
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post

Any chance you and the Mrs. can work together on this? Meal planning / morning walk together. It is really hard to change things as half a couple. For me controlling this stuff starts at the grocery store. If junk food gets in the house I will eat it. Good luck bro. Let me know if I can help. Maybe we could develop a behavior mod program?
Old 09-05-2008, 07:45 AM   #2457
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I hear you all, loud and clear! Let's be each other's support group. Lord knows the support I get at home is "next week we should start walking."
Old 09-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #2458
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'm so sorry, binky, but you did the right thing.

Syc---I feel your pain, too. All I did from Oct 2007 to about NOW is lay on the couch, then, in moments inspired, went to bed; rinse, repeat.

I MUST work on strength conditioning but I feel too tired most days to do anything more than is strictly required to live. My dad came over and berated me for not watering my plants outside. How lazy is that?

I eat healthy in spurts and then, at 2.00 a.m. I walk to the cupboard and get out two cupcakes. It's nuts.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #2459
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
How fucking stupid are we becoming? I just heard a long commercial on Bloomberg *i couldn't have invented this if i tried* explaining to people that the best way to deal with "cyber bullies" is to "delete the message and ignore them".
Stolen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
This is not school. Anybody is free to leave. Anybody is free to not read what someone else has written. Anybody is free to use the handy "ignore" function. Our parents (and the state) aren't making us show up here at 8:00 every morning.

So, while I don't want to seem callous, it's beyond me how anybody can feel "bullied" in an environment where it's so easy to avoid a person altogether.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #2460
Flint
Snowflake

Oh, look. SteveDallas invented the internet.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss