The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Did you see the movie MONSTER?

with Cherlize Theron; about Aileen Wurnous?

Sometimes I can relate to Aileen Wurnous. does that make me bad?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Yes, and yes if the part you relate to is killing people.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Yes and No....That doesn't make you bad.

Now sometimes I relate to Angelina Jolie in "Girl Interrupted". That means I'm just plain evil and I know it. And here's the kicker: and I don't even care....Sometimes it's ok to have an inner monster. The health professionals say if you don't embrace that part of yourself every once in awhile it will sublimate and become something even less healthy.

Dr. Cicero will be here all week..
Old 04-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I'm Winona Ryder to your Angelina Jolie.

My inner monster has put me in harm's way, once again.

"Eat in chicken"

Old 04-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I cried when Medusa lost the diamond in The Rescuers.
That makes me a cartoon villain, not a monster.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I know Aileen was bad, bad, bad and a psychopath...I don't want to kill anyone (well, maybe in my head I shoot people who drive like asshats in traffic but that's an acceptable thing now-days) but sometimes I feel like I try and try and try and some bitch is always going, "but, you HAVE to go back to being a prostitute! How else will we live? You PROMISED me a house on the beach..." you know, the Christina Ricci character who EGGED Aileen on, even when she was trying desperately to go straight (which was really sad).

anyway---glad to see I'm not the only one.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 04-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Yes and No....That doesn't make you bad.

Now sometimes I relate to Angelina Jolie in "Girl Interrupted". That means I'm just plain evil and I know it. And here's the kicker: and I don't even care....Sometimes it's ok to have an inner monster. The health professionals say if you don't embrace that part of yourself every once in awhile it will sublimate and become something even less healthy.

Dr. Cicero will be here all week..

nicely put.

—James Barrie

Old 04-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
jinx
Come on, cat.

Man, that was great movie. Did Cherlize win any awards.... she totally nailed it.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

yeah, Oscar, best actress. Was awesome performance.

—James Barrie

Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #10
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I know Aileen was bad, bad, bad and a psychopath...I don't want to kill anyone (well, maybe in my head I shoot people who drive like asshats in traffic but that's an acceptable thing now-days) but sometimes I feel like I try and try and try and some bitch is always going, "but, you HAVE to go back to being a prostitute! How else will we live? You PROMISED me a house on the beach..." you know, the Christina Ricci character who EGGED Aileen on, even when she was trying desperately to go straight (which was really sad).

anyway---glad to see I'm not the only one.

I couldn't tell if you were channeling charlize or telling about it. No I didn't see the demented psycho movie because I am truly sensitive but 'girl interrupted' was tame enough.

We all have our inner dragons tho.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I don't know WHAT I was doing. Just more post-CA blah blah blah I suppose.

—James Barrie

Old 04-22-2008, 01:58 PM   #12
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I was think'in you were just sensitive too

So Christina Ricci character EGGED Aileen ?

wow, it almost makes me want to sympathize a bit. That part intriques me. damn..
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
I was think'in you were just sensitive too

So Christina Ricci character EGGED Aileen ?

wow, it almost makes me want to sympathize a bit. That part intriques me. damn..
It is a powerful movie; I felt the Ricci character egged Aileen on, definitely. Anyone else who saw the movie feel that way?

It is a pretty brutal portrayal of human depravity, sky. Not everyone is really up for that. I've been told not to study certain authors (by professors, no less) because of my personality and the conflict it might create if i did. weird, huh?

—James Barrie

Old 04-22-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I thought it was a powerful movie, too. Despite my brother saying the way for a beautiful actress to win an Oscar is to ugly her up, Charlize deserved that Oscar in ways I'm not always sure the winners do.

I saw Ricci's character as egging her. The needy younger person in the relationship; the older person trying to be the strong one, the provider, and getting into situations in order to provide for the needy one.

I think it's rather unforgiveable for a professor to advise you not to read certain things due to your personality. What, I can't read Poe any more because I'm about halfway there myself? Bah. That's the biggest pile of crap I've heard in a long time.

An unexamined life is not worth living. Shielding yourself from the difficult things is no way to live.

However, if you're prone to reading Danielle Steele while eating a gallon of ice cream, drinking a pint of vodka, and crying out in the middle of the street, well...I think you could safely say that's not good for anyone. But I wouldn't recommend that reading anyway.

Harry Angstrom forever!

Last edited by Shawnee123; 04-22-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: i suck at grammar
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

@shawnee----the professor who threw me out of his class told me NOT to study Plath. TOOO DANGEROUS!!

He's a-scaird a'her!

—James Barrie