The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-24-2005, 05:49 PM   #121
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
I bought a lottery ticket.

If I win, the clan wins. Beer and pizza on me.
I WIN I WIN I WIN!!! AYAAAAAYYYYYYAAAAYYYYHOOOOOO!
Old 06-25-2005, 01:59 AM   #122
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

like I said.. thanks. I owe you...as soon as I get the fixins' for the spicy bloddy mary.. o5r the sum'sump in somthinn' you'll be set
Old 06-25-2005, 08:02 AM   #123
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Bah, I'm an idiot. Blasted through my turn surplus today, beat the Boss Bat, beat the Goblin King, got up to level 7, felt good about myself... then realized that tomorrow is a Mysticality Day and I could have gotten 1.5x the Myst gains from most of those turns.

Ah, well. It's a living.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 09:38 PM   #124
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Not a bad Myst day's work. Both of my characters have Ascended twice now; one went Turtle Tamer -> Pastamancer -> currently L6 Sauceror, the other went Seal Clubber -> Disco Bandit -> currently L7 Turtle Tamer.

(Hint of the day: the moons, Ronald and Grimace, can significantly affect your stat gains. When one or the other is full or they are in the exact same phase, one of the stats will go up 1.5x faster than at other times, and that _does_ include major bonuses for things like Meat Globes or the Chest of the Bonerdagon. "Saving up" adventures to use on those days, particularly if it's your major stat that's going to be enhanced, is highly recommended.)
Old 06-27-2005, 06:58 AM   #125
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I've got a level 9 Turtle Tamer with blue stats 93/64/60, and I can't hit any of the higher-level creatures I'm meeting, including the Bonerdagon, which is the boss of a mission from several levels ago. I was under the impression that muscle determined your to-hit likelihood, but I'd think 93 is good enough for the Bonerdagon at least, if not a yeti or a gnome.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:21 AM   #126
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

To-hit likelihood, yes, but its defenses may be too high. A hit that does no damage reads the same as a miss.

Try something that'll lower monster resistance, such as Wussiness potions. Disco Face Stab is awesome in that respect; I kept that instead of Mad Looting Skillz when I migrated to TT from DB, and haven't regretted that at all.

If worst comes to worst, try boosting Moxie to keep yourself in the fight and bring an attack familiar, who can sometimes hit when you can't.

Last edited by vsp; 06-27-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:37 AM   #127
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

By comparison, my TT is currently 80/69/68, and DFS helped me clear the Bonerdagon in one attempt. It's letting me hang in there in the Goatlet at the moment.

A couple of attribute points can make a big difference in whether you can deal with a certain monster type. Three or four points of Moxie can be the difference between getting hit for 8-9 damage every round or taking no damage most rounds.

Moxie days are coming up on Wednesday and Thursday, for those who wish to benefit from that.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:56 PM   #128
Happy Monkey

Man, I was trying to take advantage of Moxie day in the Palindome, but papayas to the head seemed to even out any gains I made...
|_______________| [pics]
Old 06-29-2005, 03:02 PM   #129
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Dude. The Palindome is evil. Other than fishing for Pagoda parts and _maybe_ drink parts (limes and jumbo olives), I never go there, as there's not much reward and too many chances for crappy adventures.

If you're not Moxious enough to climb the Beanstalk and survive, pound the Orc Chasm critters 'til you are.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:08 PM   #130
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Please, could you help me out?

Where is the freakin calendar? About "moxie day" grue will fight, etc? I've seen one "chart" but there was no date. Also, I get the sense that for those that aren't hardcore/oldskool there are helper sites out there that are semi-spoilerish. and one is the "official" site (coldfront?). anyway, where else should I be paying attention? I burned through 800 turns last night and I felt like I was spinnin my wheels. Like in the *%@#)^* bat hole.

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

I *did* use the sonar in a biscuit, but used it as a combat item. didn't have the same shitshaking effect needed to complete the quest. Sooooo, I wound up spending a couple of days just accumulating points/treasures in the guano room (19 sonar biscuits, only earned, not bought *sheesh*)

You can open your eyes now.

So where can I educate myself so I can play more effectively? I don't want a walkthrough, I am pretty sure I can find that on my own. Please? Thanks.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:20 PM   #131
Happy Monkey

I am indeed looking for pagoda parts.

And BigV, I pretty much rely on the coldfront site.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 06-29-2005, 03:56 PM   #132
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Where is the freakin calendar? About "moxie day" grue will fight, etc? I've seen one "chart" but there was no date.
I don't know of any particular calendar that lists dates for stat days, but they're pretty easy to figure out. Borrowing your spoiler technique below:

See those two moons up there, Ronald and Grimace?
* Ronald changes phases every day. Grimace changes phases every other day.

* Whenever Ronald is full, it's a Mysticality day. Myst gains are 1.5x, and MPs regenerate twice as much when resting or relaxing at your campground. Since Ronald changes once a day and has eight phases, every eighth day is a Myst day.

* Whenever Grimace is full, it's a Muscle day. Muscle gains are 1.5x, and HPs regenerate twice as much when resting or relaxing at your campground. Since Grimace changes every other day and has eight phases, Muscle days always happen twice in a row, with 14 non-Muscle days in between.

* Whenever Ronald and Grimace are in the same phase (which will always be like today's, waning crescent before a new moon, and like tomorrow's, a double new moon), it's a Moxie day. Like Muscle days, Moxie days always happen in pairs with 14 non-Moxie days in between.

So if we're charting by date, as an example:
6/29: Ronald: Waning Crescent, Grimace: Waning Crescent. Moxie Day.
6/30: Ronald: New, Grimace: New. Moxie Day.
7/1: Ronald: Waxing Crescent, Grimace: New. No effect.
7/2: Ronald: First Quarter, Grimace: Waxing Crescent. No effect.
7/3: Ronald: Waxing Gibbous, Grimace; Waxing Crescent. No effect.
7/4: Ronald: Full Moon, Grimace: First Quarter. Myst Day.
7/5: Ronald: Waning Gibbous, Grimace: First Quarter. No effect.
7/6: Ronald: Third Quarter, Grimace: Waxing Gibbous. No effect.
7/7: Ronald: Waning Crescent, Grimace: Waxing Gibbous. No effect.
7/8: Ronald: New Moon, Grimace: Full Moon. Muscle Day.
7/9: Ronald: Waxing Crescent, Grimace: Full Moon. Muscle Day.
7/10: Ronald: First Quarter, Grimace: Waning Gibbous. No effect.
7/11: Ronald: Waxing Gibbous, Grimace: Waning Gibbous. No effect.
7/12: Ronald: Full Moon, Grimace: Third Quarter. Myst Day.
7/13: Ronald: Waning Gibbous, Grimace: Third Quarter. No effect.
7/14: Ronald: Third Quarter, Grimace: Waning Crescent. No effect.

Repeat the cycle from there.

* Grues do more damage when the moons are newer. Think of a full moon as +1, new moon as -1, half moons as 0 and mostly-new or mostly-full as -1/2 or +1/2, respectively, then add Grimace and Ronald's effects together. Negatives mean Grues hit harder, positives mean they aren't as effective.

* Blood of the Wereseal (a Muscle sign item) makes your Muscle go up or down with the moons while it's in effect. It's the opposite of the Grue effect: fuller moons mean more Muscle bonus, new moons penalize Muscle. Since you can get a double new moon but never a double full, it's not quite as potentially powerful.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:08 PM   #133
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thank you.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:44 PM   #134
perth
Strong Silent Type

I don't feel that looking at the moon phases on coldfront is spoilerish, cheating, whatever. It's a nice tool, and it tells you whether or not the grue will fight on a given day.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:55 AM   #135
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

just like reading an astronomy chart! there are things in the world which you would know.. if you want to look at it from an RPG angle