Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
Griff
still says videotape

Old 12-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post

I'm really pissed off how the "1%", and big corporations, have corrupted our government. But honestly, that's not the cause of our demise. I've often bitched that the rich only care about money, and don't give a shit about the country. I still believe that, but the bigger problem is YOU, walmart shoppers.

Blue Light Special! Aisle 3! Don't miss out on a chance to buy some Chinese stuff, saving 39 cents and fucking your country. Hurry hurry hurry!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. You couldn't possibly make ends meet without buying the cheapest crap you can find. You couldn't possibly get by with less crap. Plus you'll need those savings to replace it in a few months, because it was made cheap so it can't be repaired.
Bruce, its wonderful to read one of your posts again. As always, your thoughts are much appreciated.

I would like to address the Wall Mart issue you raised. Wall Mart has the nasty habit of moving into smaller communities and driving the small business man out of business. I agree that the members of the community should never have supported Wally World in the first place, but they did, and here we are. In my town Wall Mart got rid of Main Street so fast, it made your head spin.

People who live here have the choice of shopping at Wall Mart or the Dollar Store. We do have one independent hardware store remaining and I try to support them, but they don't carry all the items that Wall Mart does. The only other alternative people in this area have is driving 75 miles to the nearest town of any size or shopping via the Internet.

I try my hardest to buy items made in the US. I just purchased via the Internet a pair of clogs made by Merrill which I thought was a true blue American outfit. Wrong! My clogs were made in China. I notice that both catalogs and the Internet have a way of not telling you where something is manufactured. I would love to hear of a laptop computer made in the USA. I'm in the market for one and have been researching them on the Net - none seem to be American made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The Huffpost says;

Quote:
What amuses me is the double speak that legislators are employing to describe the rich. Everyone who is a millionaire has suddenly become either a “producer” or a “job creator.” End Quote

Certainly not all legislators are doing that, so it should have been a little more specific. But I think Huffpost is right about the "job creator" bullshit, as I pointed out in my last post.
Just to set the record straight, I was the one who said that - not the Huffpost. And thank-you.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Just to set the record straight, I was the one who said that - not the Huffpost. And thank-you.
My bad, sorry.

I tried to use wallmart generically by referring to the blue light special which I think is Kmart. Of course wallmart took the evil to a whole new level, but they would not have been successful without the cooperation of the sheeple that haven't a clue how, or how much, they're getting fucked.

Unfortunately, we've slid the slippery slope so far, even the people that loathe wallmart with every fiber of their being, have lost most of their options.
The bigger problem is the majority still haven't a clue, and now walmart has the money to change legislation to reinforce their choke hold on America.

We as a nation may have lost, and even if not, my actions don't amount to diddly squat. But as a matter of personal pride, I'll never surrender.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

somebody's got to help the small independent businesses
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #20
SamIam

What? Have you secretly been a spammer for Token all this time?
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #21
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

just as monocultures in agriculture are especially vulnerable to catastrophic failure, vastly more exposed to such failures than polycultures that have more diversity, including more options for resistance to a "fatal single bullet", monocultures in economics are just as vulnerable.

They aggregate power and capital to themselves, which is great for the shareholders, I suppose, but they're still vulnerable and when they fail, they fail big. Being maximally efficient in every possible way is not always best. One man's superfluity and excess is another man's crumple zone. One man's duplication of effort is another man's redundancy and backup. Buying local has numerous advantages, not the least of which is helping to keep your neighbor, who may well be your customer as well as your vendor, solvent enough to stay in business, and keep you in business.

This weekend I went shopping with my BD and told her these things. She's very sharp, but still feels she can't "afford" the extra cents to shop locally instead of the big box stores. This is primarily because she's not been informed about the complete costs for the slightly cheaper retail price for the widget she's buying.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #22
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
orly?

You're going to let other people tell you who to vote for?
Nope, but I can damm sure tell you who I am not going to vote for and there are a whole lot of us out here who are going to do the same....
Old 12-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #23
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Meaning, you'll vote in the primaries?

We've long since established your antipathy toward President Obama and your expressed desire to vote him out of office. I get it. My point is that you also make a very big deal about caring nothing for the process to decide who it is that faces President Obama in the general election. Abdicating your responsibility in the primary is tantamount to letting other choose who you'll vote for.

You're letting others pick your vote for you.

Or, if I'm wrong, tell me now who you want to vote for, not just who you'll vote against.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #24
TheMercenary

Quote:
Or, if I'm wrong, tell me now who you want to vote for, not just who you'll vote against.
Why should I tell you anything?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #25
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Why should I tell you anything?
You shouldn't. You should just shut the fuck up. Really? What are you, twelve?

I'm just going to continue to evaluate you on what you say. If you say nothing, then that's the impact you'll have. Whatever.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #26
TheMercenary

Quote:
You shouldn't. You should just shut the fuck up. Really? What are you, twelve?

I'm just going to continue to evaluate you on what you say. If you say nothing, then that's the impact you'll have. Whatever.
Why is that so important to you? What is with all the name calling? Just because I choose not to answer your question you have the right and power to say that my statements will have "no impact"? Really? You are the judge?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #27
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

And the beat goes on
Old 12-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #28
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Why is that so important to you? What is with all the name calling? Just because I choose not to answer your question you have the right and power to say that my statements will have "no impact"? Really? You are the judge?
Yes. If you do not answer, your statements, the lack of a statement has "no impact". But you don't have no statement, you dance and dodge, you say with great emphasis what you're against, but not what you're for. No Obama. Got it. No Democrats and No Republicans. Ok. In a way, you have already answered the original question, who will you vote for. You've made it clear you'll vote for whoever opposes President Obama in the general election next November. I was asking you to be more specific, you demurred.

How in the world do you expect to have an impact, here in the cellar, if you don't make a statement? Yes, I have the right and the power to say that your silence has no impact. I am the judge.

And name calling? You're accusing me of name calling? Do you mean "twelve"? "shut the fuck up"? What's with it? I'm responding to you, in kind. You asked why you should tell me anything after I asked you to do so--fine, I agreed with you (that didn't work either). An exchange like that is the kind of thing I'd expect to have with a petulant twelve year old.

Best question: Why is it so important to me?

I am interested in learning, mercy. I like knowing more stuff. You have a very different perspective than I do, most especially when it comes to politics. Learning about that difference interests me. How else am I supposed to learn and grow if I only pay attention to the stuff I already know about? And another thing, I like you. I know a bit about you after hanging out with you for years, and I think you're a good guy. We don't see eye to eye on everything, but I am interested in you. Now you might not want to reveal your voting preference, fine, whatever. Just another of life's mysteries to me. But I still read your posts because learning is important to me.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #29
TheMercenary

Quote:
Yes. If you do not answer, your statements, the lack of a statement has "no impact".
Say who? You? I don't care what you think about my thoughts.

Quote:
But you don't have no statement, you dance and dodge, you say with great emphasis what you're against, but not what you're for.
So what? I can say what ever I wish, just as you.

Quote:
No Obama. Got it. No Democrats and No Republicans. Ok.
Ok, well you have that much right.

Quote:
In a way, you have already answered the original question, who will you vote for. You've made it clear you'll vote for whoever opposes President Obama in the general election next November. I was asking you to be more specific, you demurred.
I chose not to answer, you resulted for the second time to name calling.

Quote:
How in the world do you expect to have an impact, here in the cellar, if you don't make a statement?
Often no statement is a statement. You don't have to accept that. It is not important to me if you do or do not do so.

Quote:
Yes, I have the right and the power to say that your silence has no impact. I am the judge.
In your own narcissistic mind.

Quote:
And name calling? You're accusing me of name calling? Do you mean "twelve"? "shut the fuck up"? What's with it? I'm responding to you, in kind. You asked why you should tell me anything after I asked you to do so--fine, I agreed with you (that didn't work either). An exchange like that is the kind of thing I'd expect to have with a petulant twelve year old.
Again, not important to me. Just calling you out as you have tried to call me out in the past and then resulted to the same thing. Eh, not really all that important, like your opinions.

Quote:
I am interested in learning, mercy. I like knowing more stuff. You have a very different perspective than I do, most especially when it comes to politics. Learning about that difference interests me. How else am I supposed to learn and grow if I only pay attention to the stuff I already know about?
Great. I would applaude you and encourage you to continue on your path of self exploration. Well done.

Quote:
And another thing, I like you.
If that is true, you have a really funny way of showing it. I have lost a lot of trust in your approach to me. But that should not be important to you.

Quote:
I know a bit about you after hanging out with you for years,
Do you? Not until we sit down for a few nights over your choice of poison.

Quote:
We don't see eye to eye on everything, but I am interested in you. Now you might not want to reveal your voting preference, fine, whatever. Just another of life's mysteries to me. But I still read your posts because learning is important to me.
Great. Stay tuned. Right now I am not feeling your love and have not felt it in many months. Peace. Out.

Last edited by TheMercenary; 12-16-2011 at 05:12 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #30
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
What is with all the name calling?