The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Juniper
I know, right?

Buying an RV

After much deliberation, DH and I have decided to make yet another major purchase - a travel trailer.

We already have a Class C motorhome - that's the kind you drive, with the bunk up over the cab. But it's vintage 1978, and though it's in decent shape for its age, it's such a hassle to keep it maintained, we don't trust it for long trips, and with a teen and one soon-to-be teen it doesn't have any privacy and is really too small.

We want to use it for ALL our vacations from now on, no more hotels! I think it's kind of icky to use hotel rooms, when I really get to thinking about it. You don't know how well they were cleaned, and lately there's been a big problem with bedbugs! Ew! Plus you save so much money on making your own (healthy) food vs. eating out. Just so many benefits, even if it's not "real" camping. And we do love "camping" - campgrounds are fun places, if you pick 'em right; we've rarely been disappointed. Some even have pools and other fun things for kids to do.

Got a weekend trip scheduled in Aug., plus four weekend trips with friends later in the fall. Next summer we plan to go to NC for a week, and maybe take a long weekend trip to Mammoth Cave again.

Just got a little financial juggling to do - I'm doing the research now. Home mortgage refinancing, which we'd be doing anyway because the rates are so low right now. We're selling the old camper, my mom's minivan, and hubby's little SUV. Just bought a 2002 Chevy Tahoe Z71 for a tow vehicle, which we'll share - I have a small car so whomever has the most driving to do gets the little one. I think every family needs a little economy car plus one big guzzler.

DH and the kids want a new travel trailer - got their eye on a 2010 29' Bullet, only $23,000. Yikes! But I think I've got them talked into an older, used one. There are so many of them out there on the market, in perfectly good shape. I think for under $10K we can get exactly what we want.

Any advice?

I'll let you know what we get. I don't like car shopping (whew, that's done) but RV shopping is fun!
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

If you REALLY love your family, you'll buy them one of these:

http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/produ...tone/index.htm
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Juniper
I know, right?

um, no.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

yes, definately shop around for a used one. there are lots out there that have probably barely been used. we're looking at getting a class b on the diesel Mercedes Sprinter platform
Old 07-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Geez, the ones Sheldon posted are nicer than my place, and way more expensive.

I've always thought it would be nice to tour the country in one of those luxury babies, if time and money were no object. I saw a couple on the interstate yesterday and thought of you.

Enjoy shopping!
Old 07-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

We're looking at those, Shel.

Juni, I've lots of information on RVs as wer're buying one ourselves. She loves the fifth wheel configuration and I like the Class A (for convenience).

How often do you plan on using it and for how long? How far do you plan on going? Exploring the USA for a few years is way different than a weekend trip once a year. What are you "must-haves" and "like to haves" and your "don't need that thing"?

I gotta have more info to help.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post

I've always thought it would be nice to tour the country in one of those luxury babies, if time and money were no object.
The problem with those rolling whorehouses, is that the people that frequent the places I'd like to revisit, would treat me as much a pariah as if I'd arrived in an H-1 Hummer.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
Juniper
I know, right?

The trouble with a class A or a class C is that once you're there, you're stuck - the camper *is* your tow vehicle. Unless, of course, you tow a car along in back, which has its own problems. Or bring along motorcycles, or ride bikes everywhere.

DH says a 5th wheel is easier to steer, but the problem with that is you can only tow it with a pickup truck. We just bought a Tahoe, which is a big obnoxious SUV so that's out too. Just a regular travel trailer.

Right now it's looking like a 27-29' TT with a queen bed and a bunkhouse. There are lots of nice 27's with a cute little two-bunk area; that looks good.

We'll be using it for several weekend trips throughout the year, and at least one week-long trip per summer. Already got a weekend trip planned in Aug., and four weekend trips with friends later in the fall including the big Labor Day trip! So I want one that's easy to load and take on the road for quick weekend outings, and also one that's big enough that we wouldn't drive each other nuts over a week together.

Two of our neighbors across the street have those huge Class A's. One of them built a TALL garage with a TALL door just for the RV! I don't think I've ever seen them take it anywhere! The others use theirs all the time; I think their son is into racing.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
Charlie
Kinda New Member

10 yr.s ago we bought a four yr old trailer; 5th wheel but nonetheless the point is we saved mucho $$ for a v. lightly used 34 footer. Sleeps 6 + kitchen, shower, toilet, range, microwave, refrig., +++ so much more.

We use it to carry our race cars and hotel the family. Bargains are out there. Really, something new should be cheap, considering the economy. Which should depress the $$ for used.

Buy a used TT, many can be pulled by your vehicle w/a ball mount. And unhitch when you want to tool around.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dealers can only discount so much because of what they have to pay the manufacturer. But a used trailer that only got used for what you're planning on using it for, shouldn't have many miles or much wear, and a lot of people will be happy to get what they can for it. Buyer's market.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Used is the way to go.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:35 AM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Preowned.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Good point.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Preowned.
I guess that means my ass is "preowned".

But your brain qualifies as "Like New"! lolololol!

I kill me.