The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-24-2003, 12:49 PM   #46
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I never wrote it out or anything. What basically happened was that I was in a miniscule fender-bender, tried to make really nice, and was cold-cocked while I wasn't looking.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 12:51 PM   #47
dave

Seriously, I would love for someone to try that shit on me. At the very least, he would have a very seriou pistol whipping. That's assuming I didn't fucking shoot him before I found out it was a cell phone.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:09 PM   #48
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Pretending to have any sort of weapon when you do not is the 2nd dumbest thing you can do.

The number 1 dumbest thing you can do is pull out a real weapon while not intending to use it.

If you pull out a fake gun you better expect the other guy to pull out a real one and blow your brains all over the side walk.

If you pull out a real gun, you better be ready to blow the other guys brains all over the sidewalk cause he might call chicken on you and get his weapon of choice from his pocket.

Don't "threaten" people whith weapons. It doesn't work in cases where the other person is armed and you're never sure if they are.

And NEVER ever EVER mess with some guy who's with his GF. He'll do the stupidest shit to show how tough he is to his GF.
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:20 PM   #49
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I think youz guyz are getting a little deep. I was thinking more along the lines of MINOR infractions. IE someone butting in line at the wawa, or shouting at their kid in the mall. capice? I'm not tryin to disarm a gunman, or lay into someone at the scene of an accident, just tryin to tell people when they're being rude.

when could you have said or done something and you did or didn't....
cmon, dave, i know you have a few?!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:37 PM   #50
dave

I pretty much always say what I think.

I'll be honest though, I don't have to get in to verbal altercations very frequently. I'm about 6'2", and there's roughly 230lbs of muscle on this frame (and my fair share of padding, score!). I have long hair and just enough facial hair to make people think "That isn't a nice person." People don't generally act like fuckfaces around me in real life, so I generally don't have to be a fuckface back.

I do stand up for myself, though. This is usually most common in stores, where something rings up higher than the advertised price and I have to drag them, kicking and screaming, into not overcharging me. "No, it say $2.49!" "No. It says <b>right here</b> 'TWO FOR FOUR DOLLARS'."

I had a thing at freaking Kinkos a while back that I might have written on here about. That was un fucking real.

There have been a number of occasions when people have shot their mouths off around me, and then I step into the picture and it's kind of an "Oh. Yeah, I'll just go back to, you know, sitting. Yeah. Please leave me alone."

If someone is staring, I will say "Do you wanna take a picture?" I am pretty defensive of my sister, and if anyone gives her any shit, I will jump down their fucking throats and beat the living shit out of them and then beat the living shit out of their dead body.

Ask Undertoad, wolf, slang, sycamore what impression they got. Don't ask Bruce, 'cause he'll just say I'm a young whippersnapper. :P But it's probably best left to other people to describe. I dunno.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:46 PM   #51
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My impression was that any look of toughness built in to the dude (as is built in to most large-structured folks), is reduced in person by his genuine and pleasant demeanor. My considered opinion is that dave is not an asshole. I would even put that in writing and sign it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:49 PM   #52
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
My impression was that any look of toughness built in to the dude (as is built in to most large-structured folks), is reduced in person by his genuine and pleasant demeanor. My considered opinion is that dave is not an asshole. I would even put that in writing and sign it.

but is he an assHAT? THAT is the question.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:00 PM   #53
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I spent the whole dinner sitting next to him. You will notice that he survived the experience. A genuine asshat would not (although perhaps my tolerance is artificially high because of what I do for a living).

And he was very gracious when I fucked up his GBA. (what I actually did was turn the thing off ... didn't know it had a sleep mode if you just closed the cover, and lost his game save)

So no, Dave is not an asshat.

(I will, though, confess to a desire I had to fight back all night to play with his hair. The man has GREAT hair.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 02:16 PM   #54
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Quote:
UT said I never wrote it out or anything. What basically happened was that I was in a miniscule fender-bender, tried to make really nice, and was cold-cocked while I wasn't looking.
A friend was driveing to work one morning , some dude cut him off , he got up beside said dude and fliped him off , a short chase ensued , they turn off on to a side street , my friend desides this is enough and slams on his brakes and jumps out , asshole does the same , pulls a 9mm and takes a random shot in my friends general direction putting a hole in his new van , my friend is so PISSED he throws his coffie cup at dude dinging him on the forhead saying " COME ON ASSHOLE LETS GO !!!" , asshole freaks , jumps in his car and leaves , my friend gets his licence # and calls the cops . The cops track dude down quivering and shakeing at his house , 5 cops jump him and take his gun away .
The cops tell my friend this ain't the first time asshole has done this but it WILL be the last !!!
Old 11-24-2003, 02:23 PM   #55
Riddil
Management Consultant

Quote:
Originally posted by zippyt

A friend was driveing to work one morning , some dude cut him off , he got up beside said dude and fliped him off , a short chase ensued , they turn off on to a side street , my friend desides this is enough and slams on his brakes and jumps out , asshole does the same , pulls a 9mm and takes a random shot in my friends general direction putting a hole in his new van , my friend is so PISSED he throws his coffie cup at dude dinging him on the forhead saying " COME ON ASSHOLE LETS GO !!!" , asshole freaks , jumps in his car and leaves , my friend gets his licence # and calls the cops . The cops track dude down quivering and shakeing at his house , 5 cops jump him and take his gun away .
The cops tell my friend this ain't the first time asshole has done this but it WILL be the last !!!
After getting fired upon, I believe my reaction would have been a little more in line with, "wet my pants, jump back in my vehicle and drive away at a very high speed."

Or something very close to that.
Riddil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 03:10 PM   #56
DNK
Thick skinned and I like (my wife's) Bush

I like to get mad at people who are blatantly rude. I was in the grocery store the other day getting some dinner and this chick in line in front of me was on her cell phone. She wasn't loud or obnoxious, but when it came her time to check out, not once did she cease her conversation on the phone and speak with the lady at the register. It really pissed me off. But instead of saying something to the phone girl, after she left I commented to the register lady on how rude that was and she concurred, but conceeded that there was nothing she could have done about it, it was her duty to ring her up, rude or not.
Before I got a real job, I worked at a pizza place. It was a small place called Mellow Mushroom which was rather easy going place. Whenever I worked the counter, I refused to help people who didn't get off their phone. I'd simply walk away, or pick up a phone order, or simply stare at them. I guess it's a stupid pet peeve of mine.
Come on man, have some decency and respect for your fellow man, hang that damn thing up.

GBA

DNK
Old 11-24-2003, 03:25 PM   #57
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by FileNotFound
The number 1 dumbest thing you can do is pull out a real weapon while not intending to use it.
I mostly agree. I would add to this though, making it "The number 1 dumbest thing you can do is pull out a real weapon while not intending to use it if it becomes necessary." Granted, most of the time one might make the decision to pull the gun, it is IMMEDIATELY necessary, and you pull the trigger. Is it ever appropriate to unholster the gun and not pull the trigger? I think on the rare occasion, yes. If you are such a position to disarm the offender without harming yourself or bystanders, using the gun as a blunt instrument unless it has the need to become more, I say do it.

But I guess one could argue that even though the gun isn't fired in such a scenario, using it as a blunt instrument is still "using" the weapon, in which case I agree with FNF completely on this.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:31 PM   #58
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by DNK
I was in the grocery store the other day getting some dinner and this chick in line in front of me was on her cell phone. She wasn't loud or obnoxious, but when it came her time to check out, not once did she cease her conversation on the phone and speak with the lady at the register. It really pissed me off.
I had a similar experience at a drive-up window the other day... the guy in the car just in front of me was on the cellphone. We'd been waiting in a long line, and as the guy pulled up to the order box, and the employee asks for his order, the guy says "just a minute" and rolls up his window. I was instantly pissed, but I didn't do anything until I'd sat there waiting about two full minutes, and he was still chatting. Finally I honked at him and revved the engine, at which time he apparently asked the other party to hold on, and he ordered.

Now I wish I'd done more, and sooner, but at the time I was already in a bad mood, and didn't want to blow it out of proportion... so I did the calm-blue-ocean thing before reacting. But I think immediately leaning on the horn so he couldn't talk at all would have been more appropriate.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:57 PM   #59
warch
lurkin old school

But the minor infractions...The daily stuff...

I'm a small woman, not physically intimidating. If I'm in a social situation with minor rudeness- like the chick butting in line at the poster store, I tend to go with a smile/laugh and (hopefully) assertive "I'm almost done, moving as fast as I can, then you can see the whole rack" To me its not worth getting hot about, but I will let someone know if they are being rude. And Ive had them appologise to me. When someone is being an asshole my ultimate goal is for them to see, and on some level comprehend what an asshole they are being. And feel bad. I want them to feel bad. Sometimes it works, I'd say usually it works. Sometimes not. Most of the time the person is just operating in their own universe. Verbally clubbing them over the head, or "out ruding" them, puts them on defensive and generally adds to their offensiveness. I want to shake them awake calmly and remind them that the rest of us are out here.

That being the goal, I very seldom think of the best thing to say or the best thing to do until 30-60 minutes after an encounter. I love to see an articulate person defuse an asshole on the spot- particularly if they use humor.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 11:33 PM   #60
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
But the minor infractions...The daily stuff...

That being the goal, I very seldom think of the best thing to say or the best thing to do until 30-60 minutes after an encounter. I love to see an articulate person defuse an asshole on the spot- particularly if they use humor.
yeah, ain't it the way?

that's what i wanna be when i grow up: an articulate asshat that uses humor to defuse persons on the spot. er, i mean...a person that articulates asshats spots on their person using humor.......no, i wanna defuse asshats on the spot using humor......and pointed sticks, and maybe a bit of brandy. ok, no brandy, but definitely pointed sticks.