The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 10-06-2002, 02:59 AM   #121
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Two weeks ago, I had to switch desks at work. My new desk limits my internet access because of the location, but on the bright side, I have an almost new computer with a built-in speaker. I listen to CBC Radio One from Toronto every day now. In fact, I think I know more about what was going on in Canada last week than the US.

So, last week:

--There was an uproar by fans over the departure of Ron MacLean from CBC's Hockey Night in Canada. A contract was reached...things are now back to normal.

--Queen Elizabeth is hanging out in Canada for the next week or so. She arrived Friday in Nunavut, made a speech in Iqaluit (Nunavut's capital), and then headed to British Columbia.

--A BC pig farmer is apparently suspected of killing several women in downtown Vancouver.

--Canada backs the US's stance on the new Iraqi inspection agreement (that it's not tough enough).

--Toronto is considering using its Centre City Airport (which IIRC, is on an island in Lake Ontario, just off the mainland) for commercial flights of 900 km or less. Two US cities would be included: Boston and *thinks* Detroit.

Nic, how did I do?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 01:05 PM   #122
Nic Name
retired

WOW.

Syc, you're certainly not going to be caught off-guard by those CBC interviewers who got Bush really good, on-air.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 01:08 PM   #123
elSicomoro

I can even spell the PM's last name--Chretien.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:19 PM   #124
Nic Name
retired

Chretien has made his Bushisms, too.

Like this one in a public meeting with Bush:

Quote:
PRIME MINISTER CHRETIEN: And then for me, I think that it's important that the statement to the effect that we need in this part of the world an Israel that is secure and well-protected, and eventually a state for Israel. And the situation of Jerusalem will always be complicated, but it will take -- we have to secure two countries there that can live in peace.
emphasis added by me.

Quote:
THE PRESIDENT: We've got a significant relationship together. It's a vibrant, positive friendship. We've got enormous trade between our two countries. The trade is in the interests of all of us. There are some problems on occasion, but we've got the kind of relationship where we can be very frank about it and try to work them out. And the opportunities and the benefits from our relationship far exceed -- far exceed -- the few problems that face us.
I think he was referring to himself and Chretien.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:44 PM   #125
elSicomoro

Questions for the sake of further learning

Now Nic, IIRC, several of Toronto's suburbs became part of the city proper about 3-4 years ago, right?

Given that that merger quadrupled Toronto's population, has it changed the city as a whole much (i.e. strains on city services, higher crime)? Also, did it piss Montreal off that Toronto took over as Canada's largest city?
Old 10-11-2002, 02:41 PM   #126
Nic Name
retired

Megacity

How Toronto became "The Megacity"

The City of Toronto Act in 1996 incorporated a new municipality known as The City of Toronto. This amalgamation of the Borough of East York along with the Cities of Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough, Toronto, and York became known as The Megacity, and home to TheMegacity.Com!

Since 1953 the area now called a megacity had been governed by two tiers of government: the regional government level of Metro Toronto and the local government level of Toronto and the surrounding 5 local boroughs and cities. The purpose of the amalgamation in 1996 was essentially to eliminate the redundant local government councils. So, not much has changed, really.

Economically, Toronto has for many years functioned as the GTA or Greater Toronto Area, which includes many large appurtenant municipalities such as Mississauga (includes Toronto's Pearson International Airport) York Region and Durham Region. In practical terms, when we say Toronto most people are referring to the Greater Toronto Area.

All the details are included in The Virtual Toronto Website.

The importance of cities in Canada is covered in canadascities.ca

Toronto is a great place to live ... and to visit. I give great tour, if any Cellar dwellers are ever in T.O.

Last edited by Nic Name; 10-11-2002 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:52 PM   #127
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

What's the economy like there now? Are you guys hurting like most of the US is?
Is it safe to assume that a mega city like that is fairly keen on technology and schooling?
It sounds like a great place to live, except for the winter.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 03:31 PM   #128
Nic Name
retired

Toronto is a major North American tech center.

Our economy follows the USA. They say that when the US economy gets a sniffle ... Canada's catches a cold.

As far as winter is concerned ... this isn't Buffalo! I don't own a snow shovel.

Temperature is moderated by Lake Ontario but we don't see the lake-effect snow our American friends get on the south shore.

Toronto is further south than many American cities:

Latitude: 43 degrees, 40 minutes north
Longitude: 79 degrees, 38 minutes west

Temperatures aren't too bad.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:26 PM   #129
Nic Name
retired

Cowboy Legislator not OK with Toronto area voters

Ontario Premier Ernie Eves says there's not much he can do about a government backbencher who spends a good chunk of time at his Oklahoma ranch rather than at the legislature.

Snobelen, who earns about $83,000 as a member of the legislature, said he's still able to keep up his political duties by receiving faxes and e-mails while at the ranch.

Voters in his Toronto-area riding of Mississauga West were incensed by the comments and even Eves said he wished his colleague would show up for work more frequently.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:11 PM   #130
elSicomoro

Unfortunately, I didn't catch much on Radio One last week, as I only listened to it on Monday. I spent Tuesday and Wednesday listening to WTOP in Washington (sniper stuff) and was gone the rest of the week. I will try harder this week to keep myself up on Canadian happenings.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:37 PM   #131
Nic Name
retired

Syc, maybe you could get a job as a member of the Ontario Legislature.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:57 AM   #132
Nic Name
retired

Old 11-10-2002, 02:30 PM   #133
Nic Name
retired

Edmund Fitzgerald

Today marks the 27th anniversary of the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Quote:
The Edmund Fitzgerald, a Great Lakes ore carrier, is shown in a photo on the Detroit River near Detroit. The ship took on water and snapped in two during a storm on Nov. 10, 1975, on Lake Superior, plunging 556 feet to the lake bottom with its crew of 29 men. The 27th anniverary of the disappearance of the ship is being marked by a ringing of the bells at the waterfront Mariner's Church. (AP Photo/Burt Emanulle)
Now, that's not a Toronto story except for the fact that Canadian music legend, Gordon Lightfoot, who wrote The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, makes his home here. He's in the hospital now, recovering from a sudden health failure. Get well, Gordie.

Quote:
From the Globe & Mail - Saturday, November 9

Lightfoot improving in hospital

Hamilton — Singer Gordon Lightfoot is out of intensive care at McMaster Medical Centre and he's getting healthier.

"He continues to progress really well. Everyone's very encouraged by the progress he's making," Hamilton Health Science spokesman Jeff Vallentin said Friday.

Mr. Lightfoot was rushed to McMaster on Sept. 8 with internal bleeding from a rare weakness in an abdominal blood vessel.

The 63-year-old folk musician, who wrote the songs Sundown and If You Could Read My Mind, underwent several complicated surgeries.

Family and friends have been supporting Mr. Lightfoot at his bedside since he fell ill.

Only two weeks ago, the folksinger's manager Barry Harvey reported that Mr. Lightfoot wasn't always conscious.

The family has asked that details about the singer-songwriter's condition remain private.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:11 PM   #134
elSicomoro

They've been hawking his "Best of" CD on TV a lot lately...there were some songs on there that I did not know he wrote...interesting.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:18 PM   #135
Griff
still says videotape

He's a favorite of mine.