The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #46
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcGee View Post
whilst I understand your angst, might I remind you that only 33 dead would be considered a good day in Bagdhad?
This isn't Baghdad. This is the first world technologically advanced industrialized United States of America, the most powerful, influential, and "greatest" nation in modern times. Again, the largest US massacre by a single gunman. There is no anarchy, no social upheaval, no war torn sectors. This is the free world. And the incident is a damn serious one.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:01 PM   #47
Cloud

I just wonder about these shooters. I think some people are born--bad. Off. Psycopathic.

Some of the roots of such can be traced to the parents, but not all, I think. I do think we need better support for teenagers in our culture.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:10 PM   #48
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
This isn't Baghdad. This is the first world technologically advanced industrialized United States of America, the most powerful, influential, and "greatest" nation in modern times. Again, the largest US massacre by a single gunman. There is no anarchy, no social upheaval, no war torn sectors. This is the free world. And the incident is a damn serious one.
Of course it is. And I'm sure the mothers in your country grieve that much harder than the mothers in Bagdhad.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:17 PM   #49
Ibby
erika

I think it's sick how all the newsies have flocked to VT like crows to a corpse.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #50
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch View Post
but I find a valid appeal for control. If multiple round automatic handgun clips are less available, perhaps the shooter will turn to a more time consuming, cumbersome method. And I can't help but spin an alternative to the trained packing student taking the shooter out- what about a slew of cops not knowing who the real shooter is?
That is crap. A determined individual, as this person seems to have been, will get the guns, the clips, whatever to do the job. Certainly you do not think this was not premeditative?
Old 04-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #51
duck_duck
Soul Duck

America not only needs to get rid of the guns but it needs to put a stop to it's culture of violence. Why is it in america violent crime is so rampant and out of control?
duck_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #52
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck_duck View Post
America not only needs to get rid of the guns but it needs to put a stop to it's culture of violence. Why is it in america violent crime is so rampant and out of control?
Cool idea. So when are you going to advocate the elimination of the Penis so we can put an end to HIV/AIDS or the removal of all cars to stop drunk drivers. No greater act for the masses eh?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #53
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Am I the only one who has noticed that CNN seems disappointed that there are few if any calls for more gun laws?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:07 PM   #54
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Cool idea. So when are you going to advocate the elimination of the Penis so we can put an end to HIV/AIDS or the removal of all cars to stop drunk drivers. No greater act for the masses eh?
I suppose you can do it your way which is nothing and pretend there is no problem.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:10 PM   #55
TheMercenary

Quote:
I suppose you can do it your way which is nothing and pretend there is no problem.
I really do believe that people should be held responsible for thier actions. Yes, you are correct. Or we could just go the way of some Nazi approach and confiscate all guns, that approach would still not work.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:11 PM   #56
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
Am I the only one who has noticed that CNN seems disappointed that there are few if any calls for more gun laws?
Damm! the Liberal press disappointed, I think I may lose sleep! Ok, not really.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:11 PM   #57
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Wait a minute. Get rid of guns? Culture of violence?

In my opinion, those two statements are absolutely ridiculous, no offense. If we got rid of guns, what can we resort to for defense? Martial arts, or ICBMs? And culture of violence? What culture doesn't have violence deeply rooted into it's history.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #58
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I really do believe that people should be held responsible for thier actions. Yes, you are correct. Or we could just go the way of some Nazi approach and confiscate all guns, that approach would still not work.
It works in many parts of the world. I come from a place where the average person can not run down to a gun shop and buy a bunch of guns yet the crime rate is low and the people are free.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:13 PM   #59
TheMercenary

Quote:

In my opinion, those two statements are absolutely ridiculous, no offense. If we got rid of guns, what can we resort to for defense? Martial arts, or ICBMs? And culture of violence? What culture doesn't have violence deeply rooted into it's history.
WOW. Evil America! BAD!

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...m?id=823982006

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?...5&id=740682003

http://dvc.org.uk/dunblane/ni.html
Old 04-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #60
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:

But it's rampant in america. You can't watch the news without reports of somebody being robbed at gunpoint or shot for their car etc.