The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-02-2004, 11:43 AM   #31
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Went to my polling place at noon, had my traditional reunion with high school buddy who is a poll watcher this year, catching up on what's been going on in our respective lives (if anybody needs a good criminal attorney, I have her card), and was out by 1215 hrs. No irregularities noted.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:46 AM   #32
cyber snoop
Under mostly cloudy skies

Quote:
But the procedure in PA doesn't require ID anyway.
Does it mean virtually anybody can just walk in and cast a vote? I think I'm living in a wrong state

Last edited by cyber snoop; 11-02-2004 at 11:48 AM.
cyber snoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:54 AM   #33
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Your signature has to match what's in the book. More or less. Which is actually a challenge for me.

10 years ago when I registered in my precinct, I had a normal person's signature. All the letters in my name were somewhat neatly formed and identifiable.

Because of my professional need NOT to have a recognizable signature (by practice, commitment warrants are signed sloppily so that patients can't get your name off them and stalk you, I now have a messy, loopy, scrawl in which the initial letters are identifiable, but you'd be hard-pressed to even guess at the rest.

I have actually considered resubmitting a registration form, just to have the signature updated. It's not that big of an issue, and I keep missing the registration deadlines. If I ever move or cross the threshhold of inhibition over changing party affiliation, I'll deal with it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Last edited by wolf; 11-02-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:09 PM   #34
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I wonder exactly what the backup voting procedure is. Do they actually give a paper ballot to people who try to vote and get their votes eaten? Or if the power goes out, do they have paper ballots to allow voting to continue? Or has anyone on whatever committee actually thought of that?

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:11 PM   #35
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I can't imagine that the machines would have anything other than non-volatile memory, but sometimes my imagination falls short of reality.

Old 11-02-2004, 12:22 PM   #36
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Fifteen minutes, including standing in line, along with a heavy slate of judicial retention votes, a MO constitutional amendment and a major local sales tax issue. There were no obvious agitators/excess monitors, and there was no additional (indeed, *any*) security, despite the fact that my polling place is located in the local high school lobby, and students were entering the building while I was there. In fact, my 18 year old stepson voted for the first time today, and we went together. I was kind of touched, actually.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:25 PM   #37
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Yeah, but how do you intend to get there ...

Breaking the law to exercise your civic responsibility.

tsk tsk.
Well, I think we're talking technicalities, here. I AM a legally licensed driver in Colorado's DMV big brother computer banks. Anyhow, whether I got there legally or not, I did go down and vote. They were being very easy going about ID - the woman in front of me used her Sam's Club card plus her business card. However, because I'd sent in my change of address at the last minute, I didn't show up on the loal precinct voter registration list. They told me the Clerk and Recorder's office had been swamped, and was behind updating the voter's registration lists! They didn't stop me from voting, however. They gave me a provisional, PAPER ballot which I filled out and gave back to them and I guess my vote will be certified. The cool thing is that I got my very own vote tracking number and a phone number that I can call to find out if my vote got counted or not. I taped the numbers to my computer screen so I won't loose them, and you can be sure I'll be checking, especially if the Colorado election is tight.

I also voted "yes" on the state's proposed amendment to split electoral college votes by percentages given each candidate. It's a great first step toward electoral college reform, and I hope that it passes in Colorado and other states pick up on the idea, as well.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:18 PM   #38
warch
lurkin old school

Minnesota urban poll report: Van Cleve Park Building- just a bit over an hour wait, but the line had doubled by 11 am. Four years ago I was out in 15 minutes. Several young new registrants- You can register on the day. Over all, the youth of this college neighborhood seemed to be out in great numbers. The usual over 60 year old poll workers neighbors were joined by a big crew of young volunteers- I liked seeing that too.
No irregularities. Legal guy standing by for questions. He weighed in when it was suggested the line wind through a different hallway of the park building- that was given the kibash because of a nearby outside doorway that could not be seen by the officials. It was just cool to be there. Regularly in the 60%s, I bet MN hits a new turnout record.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 01:30 PM   #39
redsonia
Wet Nurse's Aide

[/quote]I also voted "yes" on the state's proposed amendment to split electoral college votes by percentages given each candidate. It's a great first step toward electoral college reform, and I hope that it passes in Colorado and other states pick up on the idea, as well.[/quote]

I voted yes on this issue as well. I think it really sucks that a candidate can win the popular vote, but still lose the race. This amendment would help with that, I believe.

I voted this morning and had no problems. Of course, I live in a town with about 8000 or so people, in the middle of the mountains. Paper ballots were used, as they have been in the past. It's interesting to hear about the new electronic voting machines, though.
redsonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:18 PM   #40
404Error
Lecturer

When I got to the town hall to vote this morning at 8:30 the line was out the door all the way to the parking lot. I stood there for maybe a minute when a guy came out and informed the waiting crowd that there were two lines, the A-O's were to the left of the line everybody was in. I was the only one to move into the left line, walked right up to the front, showed my licence, voted and was back in my car at 8:35! There were no voting gestapo or added security anywhere to be seen but then I didn't expect any either here in Smalltownville, CT.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:05 PM   #41
lookout123
changed his status to single

i was in line at 5:30 AM behind no less than 50 people. when i left at 6:20 AM there was a line of about 150-200 waiting. yikes. no problems whatsoever.

i did have someone from "my union" office call to tell me about all the dirty tricks the republicans were pulling and attempting to give me some BS about my polling place.

they were stumped when i asked which union they were from, because i've belonged to a grand total of Zero unions in arizona.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:22 PM   #42
Griff
still says videotape

I was the 8th voter through this morning. I knew all the poll workers so we chatted a bit. No crowd, never is. Pete went this afternoon and was #151.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:25 PM   #43
FloridaDragon
... Maintaining ....

Voted early this morning ... took about an hour here on the east coast of FL....more working class people than I imagined...thought it would be all the blue hairs but I guess they all voted early.

So far it looks like FL might not be the laughing stock of the country on this election as it is not too close yet (again, so far).....

404, where in CT are you? We just moved from Manchester...

FD
FloridaDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:58 PM   #44
404Error
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDragon
...404, where in CT are you? We just moved from Manchester...

FD

Small world FD, I was born and raised in Manchester. I live in Woodstock now, my parents are taking off to Florida tomorrow for their winter home (read: trailer) in Winter Haven. They were just waiting to vote here before they left.

Last edited by 404Error; 11-03-2004 at 12:50 AM. Reason: spelling
404Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:38 AM   #45
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

I was number #773 at my polling place this afternoon. I waited 1.5 hours, and had a nice chat with Reps and Dems regarding the Electoral College. We may have disagreed on whom to vote for, but we were all in agreement that the Electoral College does need to have some work done on it. (I'm also for the splitting of EC votes in relation to the percentate of popular vote for each candidate)

I was suprised however, that in my precinct, we used paper ballots. Prior to today, I'd only voted with mechanical booths. The things you find out when you move

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote