The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 08-05-2003, 08:56 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Linux fee

$699 fee for servers running Linux and a smaller fee for home PC's. Everyone ready to ante up?
Old 08-05-2003, 10:34 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Just assume the threats I'd make right now to the security of the personal lives of SCO executives, so that I don't have to actually make them and be investigated by the FBI.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 11:29 PM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I'm not paying a penny until we see a court decision. This is simply an attempt to scare big corporations into some CYA. If they call me (unlikely--there are far bigger fish to fry) I'll offer to consider paying if they sign a contract refunding me the fee plus an extra small amount for our trouble in the event that their lawsuits are not successful.

Too many people had their fingers in the Unix development pie even before Linux came along for any one entity to have a clear claim now, and the one entity that IMO deserved a chance to exercise some control & stronger licensing over it (that would be AT&T) never bothered to try very hard because they didn't consider it a strategic product.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:06 AM   #4
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Just assume the threats I'd make right now to the security of the personal lives of SCO executives, so that I don't have to actually make them and be investigated by the FBI.
In case you need any more ammunition to fuel your personal loathing, here is a nice Forbes article on Darl, his buddies, and their litigious ways.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:43 AM   #5
russotto
Professor

Re: Linux fee

Ante? SCO is raising after IBM, Red Hat, and others have called. That ain't the way the game is played. I wouldn't send them $6.99.

Anyway, the cards they got are both jokers, a deuce of spades, a four of diamonds which they've tried to make look like an ace and have waved around at the other players, and a knave of clubs.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 01:19 PM   #6
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Richard Stallman had this to say:http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupda...914132,00.html

My man Cringely has this to say:http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20030619.html

Bascially, SCO even released their distro of Linux under the GPL at one point, so there's not a damn thing they can hope to do but drag this out long enough for IBM to get tired of them and buy them out. That is if Red Hat doesn't make them go away first.

I hope Darl ends up dead in an alley with a mackeral shoved in his mouth. This bullshit is what will bring civilization to a grinding halt.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:38 AM   #7
Tobiasly
hot

So now that Red Hat is suing them, I guess they feel the need to hurry their attempts at extortion along before they're shut down.

From Slashdot, they now expect someone to pay them $32 for any Linux-kernel embedded device such as TiVo or Zaurus PDA's. Amazing.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:37 AM   #8
dave

Yeh, I run Linux servers, and I don't think SCO has a case (though it wouldn't surprise me if they somehow managed to win). Luckily, IBM is a company that doesn't like being fucked with, and I think they'll be able to put this down.

SCO won't get a fucking dime from me until there's a court ruling, having been appealed all the way up, that says I have to. And at that point, I will probably just switch to Xserve.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:31 PM   #9
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

I have to drive through Lindon every day to and from work. I drive within blocks of the SCO building daily. The Home Depot which I have been spending a lot of time at lately is literally a stone's throw from the SCO building.

These people at SCO are just loathesome, shit-eating, maggots. Even if Unix was their product their claims would be questionable, but they didn't develop or significantly contribute to Unix, nor did they manage to procure all of the rights to it. There is no legal or ethical basis for ther suits, but unfortunately in a US court, it is not difficult to buy a ruling.

If the world were a more perfect place, we'd all get to pound the balls of these people flat with a wooden hammer.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:38 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
it is not difficult to buy a ruling.
It is when you're trying to outbid Big Blue.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:19 PM   #11
Tobiasly
hot

Yes, this is unfortunately a sad reflection of our over-litigious society today. Try to find a legal loophole to wrangle through, exploit the altruistic hard work of others, and try to get as much money as possible out of it.

I think this should be settled via a game of Rochambeau, South Park style. Of course, IBM gets to go first.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:21 PM   #12
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Well, IBM has countersued. The saga continues.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:58 AM   #13
russotto
Professor

SCO is now looking the juggernaut in the face. Going up to a sleeping dragon, whacking it in the face and kicking it in the balls is NOT a good survival strategy.

IBMs patents look like bullshit. They're a data compression technique -- most of which are patented multiple times, a method of navigating among program menus that use options that are arranged in a graphical tree (puh-lease -- that's been done for over 20 years), a method for verifying that an electronic message was received (yes, electronic return receipt has been patented multiple times as well), and a method for monitoring computing systems that are linked in a cluster (might be legit, might be ridiculously broad). However, as the eBay buy-it-now case proves, bullshit patents fly in the courts.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 09:22 AM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well SCO has certainly found a good way to overinflate their stock price: at $11, up from the $1.50 it was at when they began this thing. All without revealing one line of the code that the whole suit is based on.

Short their stock now while the company is still around.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:35 PM   #15
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Short their stock now while the company is still around.
I've been trying to for a few days now. My broker says that the stock isn't shortable. Maybe there aren't any more outstanding shares to borrow from??