The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-22-2006, 04:41 AM   #16
SPUCK
Professor

FedEx... Today after waiting three days and a weekend for all the parts for my new computer I'm building. The guy drops off two boxes. Big one with all the bits in it. And the computer case (Antec Sonata II). The case has a 3" hole punched thru it!!!! Cr*p!!

FedEx.. don't get me started.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:24 AM   #17
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Nonsense, UPS or DHL even Airborne. I won't buy from companies that ship Fedex, if I can help it.
75% (not a number I pulled out of my butt) of the time, they can't find my house. Even after I talked to the actual driver on the phone. My house ain't hard to find.
One package took less than two days from Seattle to ten miles from me and eight days from there to me. Grrrr
Just rest assured, my fellow cellarites, I don't work for Fed Ex.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:40 PM   #18
RellikLaerec
Faithful Companion

Oh the stories I could tell ya about what people will ship through UPS. Ive been with the company for 7 years now and I've seen everything! Well, except for live humans, live dogs, and live cats. Note: I said "live" . Can't STAND FedEx. Ive had more things lost with them than any other carrier. I won't do buisness with someone who won't ship via UPS or USPS.
RellikLaerec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:25 PM   #19
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

The oddest package we've ever received was a stack of birthday presents sans shipping box.

Packages, all prettily wrapped, complete with ribbon and bows. I think three packages all held together with packaging tape and a label on top.

Our UPS guy was very amused and I was amazed that it made it through.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:28 PM   #20
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Funny thing about the FedEx bashing . . .

I had a friend who had some packaging and shipping stores. He had more problems with UPS than anyone else and bashed them constantly.

FedEx was like the creme de la creme.

I actually heard a shpiel about their very intricate tracking system.

Seems like nothing should ever get lost (stolen maybe) with the intricacies of the systems and the scanning that is done every step of the way.

But then, I never figured out how a package made it across the US to my main post office, but never to my house and never to be found. Someone at the main post office scanned it in . . . then what??
Old 11-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #21
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK
The case has a 3" hole punched thru it!!!!
Perhaps mount a 3 inch cooling fan there???
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:23 PM   #22
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Of course, the child in question was not sent *as* postage, he was sent *for* postage.

postage: n the charge for mailing something

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:53 PM   #23
Hagar
Master of the Domain

Hmmm...

I wonder if that's how Madonna's new adoptee will find himself getting back to Africa after the shine wears off?
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:38 AM   #24
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Nah, they have people for that . . .
Old 11-24-2006, 08:03 AM   #25
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMama
The oddest package we've ever received was a stack of birthday presents sans shipping box.

Packages, all prettily wrapped, complete with ribbon and bows. I think three packages all held together with packaging tape and a label on top.

Our UPS guy was very amused and I was amazed that it made it through.
We still get baby chicks through the mail now and then. PETA has been agitating, but so far so good. The post mistress likes to see the chicks when they come through.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:48 PM   #26
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
After years of receiving packages I've seen them all screw the pooch.

For Ebay, I prefer the seller ships USPS. that way if the seller gets up to shenanigans (they have) it becomes mail fraud, and I let the P.O. deal with the aggra.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:02 AM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

My brother was telling me this weekend that FedEx Home Delivery is by independent contractors. He claims a friend of his has a franchise in northern New England, had to buy the Fedex truck, and is paid by the delivery.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:09 AM   #28
SPUCK
Professor

Three inch fan... Very clever..

Actually I believe only the "FedEx Ground" is contracted. The same guy came back and by that time I had the box relabeled and postage paid to ship the crushed case back. He whined bitterly about me giving it to him because he had nothing to do with "Ground" (which I naturally choose to send I it back with). He said ground was contracted and that he would have to find a Ground guy to give it to.. He was feeling a little guilty since they'd killed my box to death, so he took it.

The good thing about FE is they deliver around noon. Stinkin UPS delivers around 6pm which means 3 day FE is the same service as 2 day UPS so why use UPS unless you don't care about the time.

The Bad thing about FE is they are scam artists. Here's how it works. Their insidious scam is called "Re-dimensioning". If anywhere in the system they decide your package is bigger they summarily change the shipping charge!! This can be by any confused or mis-calibrated machine somewhere in there vast hegemony. So you have little recourse if you even notice a month later when the bill comes by. So they quietly charge everyone a little more without anyone normally noticing.

I took a package down to the FE office, the guy measured everything weighted it, and then came up with a charge. I took the credit card charge receipt home. A month later the bill comes in. It's like 4 dollars more on my credit card!! I call them up and ask what the heck is this??!! They said it was "re-dimensioned" in some hub 6 states away. I pointed out that I measured it carefully and they said, "you must have made a mistake". So I said, "And then I had your office measure it and I have the receipt to prove it!" They said, "um... we're sorry we will credit you the difference. Have a nice day.." Get the picture...
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:59 AM   #29
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

UPS evidently depends on where you are in the system. My family in MA has a number of busnesses where they can drop a package before 4pm and I have it the next day, at the cheapest ground rate. UPS picks up from these drops on the way to Hartford, CT's Bradley field. The packages come into Philly Intl. airport hub and is on the truck to me in the morning. Works every time..... since they built the Philly hub. Going the other way takes three days because, I'm guessing, there's enough steady traffic north to warrant a truck over the road.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #30
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

mis-calibrated machine somewhere in there vast hegemony.

I take OFFENCE to this !!! We ( the company I work for ) install,and maintain these machines ( in the Memphis area Hubs for the brown box company as well as brand X ) . These are IN-MOTION systems as in they do this calc on the fly , hanging flaps of paper , open boxes , etc can totaly mess up this caluculation , oh a stupid operators can mess this up as well ( We had a whole SORT ( whole shipping nite with MILLLLLLIONS of boxes )get F**Ked up just because some body desided to mess with things and set the demintioners in metric )
What you are speaking of is called a dim-weight ( Dimentional weight ) it is a calucation of length width height and weight , as in a 50 lb shoe box sized box coste different that a 30"x30" 2 pound box ,