The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 01-21-2002, 06:56 PM   #1
Nic Name
retired

Toronto

Toronto the Good, Hogtown, the MegaCity ... by any of its names, there's no place like home.

Home to the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Raptors and the Blue Jays.

Home to the world's tallest free-standing structure, the CN Tower, and at its base, the SkyDome.

Home to the Hockey Hall of Fame and Canada's Sports Hall of Fame.

Home to one of the most exciting urban shopping centers in the world, the Toronto Eaton Centre.

And home to the incomparable CityTV and MuchMusic (Canada's MTV, only better) created by visionary Moses Znaimer.

Where to start?

Toronto.com
City of Toronto
University of Toronto
Toronto Tourism
The Toronto Star
Pulse24 News

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-21-2002 at 10:24 PM.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 12:34 AM   #2
Nic Name
retired

And what's with Toronto's Mayor?

Toronto's Mayor Mel Lastman's world renowned gaffes get written up in The Washington Times.

Mel-O-Drama

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-22-2002 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:07 AM   #3
Nic Name
retired

When I think about Toronto ...

Once upon a time, the Huron Indian tribe congregated on the northwestern shores of Lake Ontario. There, they traded, worked, and socialized.

They called the area "Toronto", which meant "place of meeting".

Today, the name continues to fit.

The city is abuzz, blending multicultural heritage with urban chic. Toronto has some 80 ethnic groups (speaking more than 100 languages), one of North America's busiest stock exchanges, the world's third-largest theater center (after New York and London), nearly 5,000 restaurants and cafes and fine shopping complexes.

Canada's largest city has a population of 2.4 million, with 4.4 million when you count the immediate metropolitan area. As many visitors have remarked, Toronto is a city of interesting, distinct neighbourhoods. We have three substantial Chinatowns, two variations of Little Italy, an east-Indian pocket, Greektown, and neighbourhoods comprised of mixed cultures. Historic pockets exist beside new developments.

What images and recollections come to your mind, when you think about Toronto? Do you think of my home town, or someplace else?

Toronto, Canada, isn't the only Toronto in the world.

Toronto, IA
Toronto, IL
Toronto, IN
Toronto, KS
Toronto, MO
Toronto, OH
Toronto, SD
Toronto, TX

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-22-2002 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:09 AM   #4
dave

When I think of Toronto, I have a wholly good image in my head. In the two weeks I was there (October 4-19, 1999) I ate some great food, went to them movies 6 times, walked more than I'd care to do again, and spent lots of money.

One thing I noticed is that regular foodstuffs are cheaper there - or rather, at least there were where Vanessa and I shopped (Vanessa was the friend I was visiting while I was there). I bought toaster strudels for some $1.98 CDN, which, at the time, was roughly $1.33 USD. This was for the box of six. Back here, they were about $2.50 (the cheapest I saw them) for the same box - and that was USD. However, where they gouge you is the GST - Goods & Services Tax. Nic can correct me on this, but I think it was something like 13%. I bought a CD for Vanessa and it ended up being <b>dollars</b> more than the sticker price.

One thing I enjoyed was the little cafés everywhere - they generally serve food, and although they weren't always <b>cheap</b>, it was always <b>good</b>. I'm not a coffee drinker, so that wasn't real important to me.

There were plenty of music stores, which was good. One place, <b>Second Spin</b>, had all used CDs, all of which were under $10 CDN ($6.65 USD at the time). The ones I bought were in great condition, so that was definitely a bonus. As for new-music stores, I remember (maybe Nic knows where I'm talking about) an HMV and a Sam's (not Sam Goody's, but something else) really near each other in downtown. They had a large selection, of course. I spent plenty of money there.

There were some chess tables near there as well, and I sat down and played for a while. I used to be a big chess player (2nd place at the DC area Youth Tournament in '97), but I hadn't played in years. Well, I haven't felt as invigorated as I did that day in Toronto. Just playing there with some guys who I'll never see again. I think that's probably pretty indicative of my feelings on Toronto as a whole - an amazing place where I felt alive. If I had to live one place in the world, it would be Toronto.
Old 01-22-2002, 10:16 AM   #5
Nic Name
retired

Sam the Record Man is an unique retail record store in downtown Toronto. Rumours of its imminent death over Christmas turn out to be premature, as the founder's heirs rallied to buy Sams out of bankruptcy.

The chess tables outside Sams are still there, but the Yonge Street strip is in transition, much the same as Times Square in NYC. International brands, GAP, HMV, Guess and Hard Rock Cafe are transforming the look and feel of this retail neighbourhood. (Note that Canadians put u in neighbor.)

Americans visiting Toronto really notice the money. Greenbacks go much further that our coloured money. I think Canadian currency really took a turn for the worse, when our paper dollar was replaced by a coin dubbed the Loonie because it had the bird on the first minting. The loon is not on all the coins now, but the handle stuck and now our Canadian dollar, as a currency, is almost officially known as a "loonie" ... how looney is that! Is it any wonder 1 US Dollar (USD) = 1.61230 Canadian Dollar (CAD) today. American tourists gotta love that!

Excess taxation is a Canadian tradition, so our retail purchases have a 7% GST, Goods and Services Tax, on top of an 8% PST, Provincial Sales Tax. The good news for our American friends is that these taxes are only applied to residents, and our tourist guests can get a full refund. Party on!

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-22-2002 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-22-2002, 10:29 AM   #6
dave

Thanks for the refund tip. Too bad I didn't know it 2 1/2 years ago. :P Seriously though, I'll have to put that to good use next time I'm there.

Those chess tables really blew me away... not because they're unique. Just because I got to sit down and play my game there. I ran out of time (I had to meet back up with Vanessa, so I resigned and took off), but I had a blast. Maybe I'm the only one that's also fascinated that you, living in a different country, know exactly what I'm talking about when I mention them... but it does fascinate me. You've probably walked past them numerous times. On Thursday, October 14, 1999, I was there, playing chess against a middle-aged African-Canadian (heh) man. That just fascinates me. I meet you over two years later and you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I really want to go back to Toronto. I guess I will some day. It would definitely be good stuffs.
Old 01-23-2002, 12:25 AM   #7
Nic Name
retired

Toronto is a beautiful city.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:40 AM   #8
warch
lurkin old school

Hockey! Go team Canada!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 10:45 AM   #9
Nic Name
retired

Toronto's Olympians

Wonder how many home-grown folk are competing in the upcoming Winter Games in Salt Lake City?

Edi Podivinsky - Alpine Skiing
Emanuel Sandhu - Figure Skating
Elvis Stojko - Figure Skating
Veronika Bauer - Freestyle Skiing
Andy Capicik - Freestyle Skiing
Adam Foote - Men's Ice Hockey
Joe Nieuwendyk - Men's Ice Hockey
Michael Peca - Men's Ice Hockey
Cassie Campbell - Women's Ice Hockey
Cherie Piper - Women's Ice Hockey
Vicky Sunohara - Women's Ice Hockey
Old 01-23-2002, 10:52 AM   #10
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

This is Canada related, but did any of you see the Olympics commercial on abc with shots of all the Americans competing in it?

Did you notice that it was the Canadian Nat'l Anthem in the background?

I thought it was quite funny when I heard it.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:02 AM   #11
Nic Name
retired

methinks you are thinking of the music "God Save The Queen" which is the same tune as "America" a.k.a. "My Country 'Tis Of Thee" an American patriotic theme.

O Canada, was proclaimed Canada's national anthem on July 1, 1980, 100 years after it was first sung on June 24, 1880.

Prior to adopting our own national anthem, Canada used the British national anthem "God Save The Queen" which causes confusion.

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-23-2002 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:06 AM   #12
warch
lurkin old school

Hmmm. Our home is a peaceful, repectful Canada/US merger (Sentiment runs for Team Canada Men's hockey, and Team USA women's hockey) and we're just hoping for a bit of actual sports coverage of world atheletes rather than a frickin' Lee Greenwood video. I havent seen the ABC spot! he he he.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 11:33 AM   #13
dave

When do you think Canada and the US will merge? Do you think it'll ever happen? I bet some time, way in the future, we will.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:39 AM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Canada is more likely to split in two if the Quebecois have anything to do with it!

In my experience Canucks have a fairly strong sense of nationalism and have little interest in joining the US. But I would love to hear our resident northerners take on it. If trade is free and travel is free, there's little reason to "merge".
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 11:41 AM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

One other thing... I really like "O Canada" as a nat'l anthem. As a song it's way better than the Star Spangled Banner, using only one octave but using it all, and ending on the high note like all good anthems should.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote