The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 10-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Craigslist golddigger

This is making the rounds. Apparently posted to Craigslist. Snopes has nothing on it, but it's not hard to believe.

---
What am I doing wrong?

Okay, I'm tired of beating around the bush. I'm a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25 year old girl. I'm articulate and classy. I'm not from New York. I'm looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don't think I'm overreaching at all.

Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a business man who makes average around 200 - 250. But that's where I seem to hit a roadblock. 250,000 won't get me to central park west. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker and lives in Tribeca, and she's not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right? How do I get to her level?

Here are my questions specifically:

- Where do you single rich men hang out? Give me specifics- bars, restaurants, gyms

- What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you won't hurt my feelings

- Is there an age range I should be targeting (I'm 25)?

- Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the upper east side so plain? I've seen really 'plain jane' boring types who have nothing to offer married to incredibly wealthy guys. I've seen drop dead gorgeous girls in singles bars in the east village. What's the story there?

- Jobs I should look out for? Everyone knows - lawyer, investment banker, doctor. How much do those guys really make? And where do they hang out? Where do the hedge fund guys hang out?

- How you decide marriage vs. just a girlfriend? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY

Please hold your insults - I'm putting myself out there in an honest way. Most beautiful women are superficial; at least I'm being up front about it. I wouldn't be searching for these kind of guys if I wasn't able to match them - in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping a nice home and hearth.

-------------------
One answer given:
-------------------

Dear Pers-431649184:

I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament.

Firstly, I’m not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said here’s how I see it.

Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a crappy business deal. Here's why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here’s the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity…in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won’t be getting any more beautiful!

So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation accelerates! Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35 stick a fork in you!

So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold…hence the rub…marriage. It doesn’t make good business sense to "buy you" (which is what you’re asking) so I’d rather lease. In case you think I’m being cruel, I would say the following. If my money were to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It’s as simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage.

Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So, I wonder why a girl as "articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful" as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to believe that if you are as gorgeous as you say you are that the $500K hasn’t found you, if not only for a tryout.

By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then we wouldn’t need to have this difficult conversation.

With all that said, I must say you’re going about it the right way. Classic "pump and dump."

I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of lease, let me know.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

I have to say that I disagree with the "you won't be getting more beautiful." I personally find women over 30 more attractive in general, and many just get more luminous as they get older.

And honestly, I don't have a problem with the "gold digger." She's very honest and not trying to cheat anyone, and I can respect that. I'm very happy to have married the man I love, but I can definitely see the appeal of this kind of "marriage of convenience." I do disagree with one thing, though -- she's certainly honest and she sounds like a lot of fun, and I have no problem believing that she's "spectacularly beautiful," but I would disagree with her description of herself as "classy."
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i aint sayin she a gold digger....but..she aint messin with no broke nigger.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I'd bet that she'll end up marrying a wealthy man anyway, and good luck to her if it makes them both happy.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
And honestly, I don't have a problem with the "gold digger." She's very honest and not trying to cheat anyone, and I can respect that. I'm very happy to have married the man I love, but I can definitely see the appeal of this kind of "marriage of convenience."
*smiles* you struck lucky

I actually can't see the appeal of that kind of convenience union. The pride aspect alone...I mean, I can totally understand someone thinking that their role is at home, making that home a nice place to be, raising children and supporting their mate; so this isn't a dig at women who do not wish to be the breadwinner. What I can't understand is having ambition and drive to increase earnings and status and considering that the way to get those things is by finding a rich man, rather than working to get yourself into a position of high earnings and status for yourself. I just can't get my head around one.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

The whole "I'm looking for someone with money" thing sounds so shitty to me. But I also understand that my standards are different from yours and yours and yours. I could understand financial stability, but sometimes, it sounds like straight up gold-digging. Go make your own fucking money.

*shrugs* My €0.04...the Euro is a better deal these days.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:20 AM   #7
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Hey, if I could find a wealthy, attractive 25+ dude, who wanted a trophy bride and would leave me to my own devices...I'd be sooooo far up in that!!

Money cant buy happiness, but it can buy you enough distractions to make it worth your while.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:47 AM   #8
Mockingbird
Master of hand to mouth living

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and outlook, but honestly I can't help but feel sick reading this. I'm not a spiritual person at all, but the complete void of self in this woman is nauseating. When I read this I see someone with no interest in any sort of meaningful life, someone who simply wants to succumb and become a footnote in someone else's life, some sort of pet that can be put aside when you have no need for it.

I suppose the luxury is attractive, but it's as though she's willing to destroy everything meaningful about a bond with another person for the sake of sitting around and being the envy of other women.

That's assuming all of this is real of course, but on the off chance that it is, fuck that and the sort of sick value system that brings that kind of shit to bear. Seriously.
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:11 AM   #9
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yup.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:16 AM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

"A man being rich is like a girl being pretty. You wouldn't marry a girl just because she's pretty, but my goodness, doesn't it help?" Lorelei Lee in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:26 AM   #11
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

So much to say:
I loved the business analysis response to her proposal, but he only evaluated her for beauty. She also mentioned class (which I think Hime is right to doubt, but by some definitions of class, maybe true. I reckon she'd know which fork to use, for what that's worth) and she is clearly articulate and fairly intelligent. These assets will appreciate, and she would also be willing to help support the breadwinner's career. And she has a certain direct honesty I kind of like. I'm not sure you'd be ditching her at 35.
But her motives are appalling. Nothing but money. To avoid having to work for a living, or getting her hands dirty around the house, she'll prostitute herself. Is this really the path to happiness?
Would she put up with a man who was selfish, drunken, unfaithful, abusive, violent, etc provided he kept her supply of pearls coming? She's advertising herself as a one-man, long-contract whore, what kind of treatment does she expect? Richard Gere was ACTING, girl.
And would she dump even a nice rich guy for an even richer one who comes along? Or is she planning a lucrative divorce in a decade's time? Such thoughts must cross the mind of potential buyers/lessors, so this advertising might not be so smart. In fact, if she was that smart, she would have figured out where to meet rich guys by now.
Ahhh, rant over.
I don't like her. But maybe that's because I'll never have that kind of money. No, that's not the only reason.
ZenGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #12
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

If you're so hot that you describe yourself as spectacularly beautiful......wouldn't you be too busy masturbating to write a letter like this? I know I would. In the mirror.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #13
Mockingbird
Master of hand to mouth living

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
If you're so hot that you describe yourself as spectacularly beautiful......wouldn't you be too busy masturbating to write a letter like this? I know I would. In the mirror.
Good point, I mean, the girl lacks any sort of moral fiber anyway, why doesn't she just film it and rake in the cash?
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Dating is about who gets you to Central Park West.

Marriages are about what happens when the shit hits the fan. When happens when the business fails and the money goes away. What happens when the boobs sag, the hair goes away. When happens when there's a car wreck and someone's left in a wheelchair. What happens when the kid turns out to have mental problems. What happens when one person has a total crisis of confidence and goes into depression. What happens when somebody loses their religion. What happens when somebody turns up quadriplegic and needs to have their shit physically removed from their bowel. What happens if somebody needs to work 14 hours a day from Hong Kong for six months. Is there a foundation of love, caring, support and commitment that will carry it through?

Life is as much a gift if you are on Central Part West or in a double-wide in tornado country. The food still tastes the same when cooked with care. The dog doesn't know from either location and actually prefers simpler access of the trailer to piss and shit outdoors. Sex feels identical. Cuddling in front of the TV feels identical. The type of love shown to the children is the same.

We must excuse this child for not understanding what is important. She is in her twenties. A hot babe but in the woods nonetheless. And the reaction to her post is near-universal outrage. Her comeuppance is due, and if she is truly wise she will learn from it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #15
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

Her comment is perfect example of a narcissism and a materialism that has infected this wold. Love caring and or respect do not equal in to the equation of marriage in the least.

It is sad.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote