The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 07-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #16
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

I'm sorry to hear this, LJ. My partner struggles with this as well, and I've strugged with smoking and drinking. Overeating is particularly difficult to manage due to the fact that you can't simply NOT eat.

Good luck with it, and feel free to contact me if you want to know what is working for us.

Stormie
Old 07-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #17
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Jim, I admit to waiting for the other shoe to fall, but at the same time I can completely relate. Especially to the surreptitious eating. And the self sabotage.

Good luck and let us know if we can help.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #18
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Every day reveals to me a new level of how bad I've become. Today, and worst yet, a glimpse of how bad this all makes jinx feel. Through my selfishness, and gluttony, I've hurt not only her trust, but her feeling of self worth. I admit to feeling sorry for myself when this first happened, and being scared for my future.... fear of being alone, and the humiliation of the rejection.... but the way I feel right now? that I've made her feel like she deserved this for some reason? like there's something wrong with her?

This is no joke. not even a little bit.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Don't forget: you're human.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #20
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yeah, I don't know many people who aren't fucked up somewhere in their life.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's the nature of partnership... when one fucks up it's natural for the other to question whether it's partially their fault. Thinking maybe they could have done something to prevent it. That's just a sign it was a good partnership to begin with.

I'm absolutely, positively, unquestionably, without a doubt, certain you guys can weather this storm without permanent damage.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #22
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Nicely said, Bruce.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #23
monster
I hear them call the tide

thirded
Old 07-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #24
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

I am sure your counsoller (SP) will have some great ideas to help you out with this, But I have one that might help in the short term. Even before your "time apart" is finished, perhaps think of putting Jinx in charge of all finances. Sit down together and figure out all bills, spending money, savings, etc... Then give yourself an allowance. With your allowance, break that down even farther. How much is going to: booze, smokes( if you smoke), fast food, clothes, toys etc...
Use envelopes if needed, once the money in each envelope is gone, don't cheat and use another. Not having the money to spend will make you not have to lie, because you won't be able to slip.

This worked for my hubby and I, he had no concept of budgeting, and we were fighting all the time. Now I handle all finaces, and EACH of us get an allowance to spend however we want. The bills are getting paid, and our debt each year is going down. The best part is, we don't fight over missing a bill and who was suppose to pay it, or anything like that. Putting hubby on a budget helped him take more ownership with his money, and he was less likely to spend it all as fast. We have a pre-paid credit card with a bit on it, for emergancies, for things he can not wait for me about. Even after 17 years, he does have access to our joint account, but asks before using those funds, in case they are for a bill or something.
Perhaps something like this might help you guys?

I wish you both all the best, good luck with the road ahead, just remember curves, bumps and pit falls are part of the journey. If you can travel it together it won't feel so rocky.
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #25
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Jim remember that there's a lot of people here (and in real life, I'm sure) that are rooting for you.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #26
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The most important thing said here so far has been 'Don't beat yourself up too much, you are human after all.'

I do the "stress eating" thing. It's a repeating loop. I feel bad, so I eat. Then I feel bad for eating. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Jim, please, share with us all of this that you feel you can comfortably share. I, for one am very interested in what the OA way is going to be like.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #27
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Oh, and: Put. Down. The. Curly Fries. And slowly back away.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #28
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Well, diggr, it begins with admitting to yourself that you are powerless over your addiction.

After struggling with my weight for my whole life... I have to admit. I'm powerless over it. It's harder than it sounds to admit that. At this point, right now, I believe it intellectually. I don't think I 100% believe it in my heart though. I have to do that before I can go any further. I'll get it. It feels more like a matter of letting go, than grasping new knowledge. Surrender to the truth, not discover it.

Last edited by lumberjim; 07-19-2010 at 05:35 PM.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #29
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Oh LJ! I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles! I think Jaydaan has some very good advice about money management. You know that there are plenty here who've had thir own struggles and you've added your support when they've needed it. Now it's your turn to lean on us, your friends here. Hugs to you and your family, mate.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #30
Flint
Snowflake

Dang, dude. I hate to hear about something like this. But I think it's good for you to be talking about it. I'm going to avoid the whole internet thing of giving all kinds of advice* based on a brief description of a complex issue, but I do agree that this can be conquered. I'm not very good at people skills but if there is something I could do that would help you, I would do that thing.

*Okay, but if I was going to, I would agree that some type of "envelope system" i.e. Dave Ramsey is a good system for managing money.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote