The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #16
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

My wife and I have an impressive list of fix-it-up projects for our house.
New windows, floors, electric, install A/C, new chimney (wait'll you see what passes now), new garage door and roof, extensive yard work and more. So far, it's just a list and I like it that way.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #17
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Our master bathroom is completely gutted at the moment.

Hubby is great at doing these home improvement projects, but unfortunately does not seem terribly motivated to move forward with this. A few years ago, he'd be at it the moment he got home from work and maybe even up past midnight. Now, he can spend a whole day off work pretending it isn't there. I guess there's no big hurry, we do have another full bathroom to use down the hall.

Next project after that will be replacing the kitchen flooring, and then replacing the entire 1st floor carpet with (I hope) Pergo. Then we're thinking about adding a room in back of the house to use for laundry/utility, closing in the solarium to use for my office, remodeling the basement bathroom and maybe putting a 3rd bath/shower in there once the washer/dryer is out of it.

That's inside. Outside we're building a deck around the pool, busting up some concrete beside the house and fixing some grading/drainage issues, which will probably involve replacing the air conditioning unit 'cause it's sitting on that concrete and it's old anyway.

:::deep breaths::: I keep telling myself, when it's done, we'll have a heckuva place!
Just think of all the trouble you would have saved if you had just bought a house you liked in the first place.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #18
Pie
Gone and done

We've got plans to redo the bathrooms and the kitchen in our house. We've already done a kitchen before, so we know what we're up against. There won't be any change to the floorplan, just new and updated materials, so it's not that bad.

The master bathroom -- I want to bump out the shower area into the eaves over the garage. There's a huge amount of space back there, and with a little finish-work, it could significantly expand the storage capacity of the master closet as well.

Oh, and re-carpeting the upstairs and the den.

These will be on a reasonably tight schedule. We will be getting professionals for all these projects.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #19
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus
Just think of all the trouble you would have saved if you had just bought a house you liked in the first place.
Who can afford one of those?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #20
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

We're painting our dining room and kitchen. Plaster/lath walls, c.1950 post-war inner-ring suburb housing boom cookie cutter colonial.

When we pulled off the wallpaper in the kitchen, there was another layer of wallpaper underneath. This was NOT pullable. So we forged ahead with scraping it off. Actually, in some places, we succeeded in pulling it off a few inches at a time--and the paint under came with it. But only in places.

So now we have this wall that has half a coat of paint on it. Where do we go from here? Sand, prime, and paint? Try to strip the rest of it off? Other suggestions?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #21
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

If it's a thick layer of paint, priming won't hide the torn edges, and sanding won't smooth it. Get some spackle (or go for the big container of "mudding" compound if you need a whole lot) and smear it over the edges so it's a smooth transition from one to the other. Then prime and paint.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #22
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Depending upon the condition of the walls.... skimcoat the whole thing and lightly sand to a smooth "as new" finish and paint - it'll certainly take two coats.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #23
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

How "lightly"? Would 220 be good?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #24
classicman

the grade of the sandpaper is an issue, but not as much as how much pressure you use. 100 grit should be fine. The "lightly" is so you do not sand it off in some spots and have to recoat again. Basically you are putting a new layer of wall on so that its all even and you can paint it.
DO not use a palm sander or other power tool. It will come out much better if done by hand.

Dust will be an issue - wear a mask and have proper ventilation/air flow while sanding and be prepared for some serious dust. (just so you aren't surprised)

Its a PITA to put the spackle on at first, but once you get the hang of it, it goes rather quickly. Use a large blade - 12" minimum.

Oh, and DO NOT USE the lightweight stuff - it will not work. Get the big bucket with the blue lid.

I had to do this in a couple small rooms in my house - one which had a crappy faux paint job.

Before/after pics required. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:26 AM   #25
Alvaro Rogers

Many people are crazy about creating lofts at home so they have extra storage space but that isn’t always a wise decision. To think of it logically it’s not the most feasible option. This is because you don’t want to crawl into the loft each day trying to put back things or take out things. As a result your loft and extra storage spaces built in your home actually reduce room area making rooms look smaller because you have dedicated space to the creation of a loft.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:59 PM   #26
classicman

not if it is for seldom used things ie: storage space.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #27
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Greetings Alvaro and

I am toying with the idea of vacuuming the rug in the living room soon. By my standards, that counts as home improvement. Should I take pictures, and post progress reports?

Is there any advice you can offer me, as a first-time vacuumer? Will there be dust or electrical hazards? Should I get a proffessional in?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 PM   #28
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

How much air does a loft use, actually?

Howdy Alvaro!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #29
glatt

Crazy home improvement weekend here. We got all new carpet installed upstairs. It looks great. But of course as soon as it was in, we realized how horrible the walls are. So we've been painting the hallway all weekend. At least all the furniture was already out, but it's still a ton of work. Not even close to being done.

Then yesterday I found a puddle in the basement under the first floor toilet. This damn toilet springs a leak every 2 years or so, and I replace the wax ring. I've tried everything, even tearing up the old slanted floor and putting in a level one. It always leaks where the ring contacts the toilet. This time I bought a new toilet, and I'm really hopeful. For the first time, when I put the wax ring on, I could feel it really seating well over the horn. But we'll see in a couple years. I think it will work this time.

Of course, nothing is ever easy. Even though the new toilet was the same rough-in size as the old, it has a bigger footprint, and I needed to hack away at the quarter round molding to make it fit. It's a nice toilet though. Much better quality than the old one.
Attached Images

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #30
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

How do you get rid of the old toilet?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote