FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 11-11-2003, 12:40 PM   #91
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
The house is divided today...

Ravens vs. Rams tonight on ESPN. Love both teams, but of course, the Rams always come first for me. And Rho, being the Baltimore native, must give love to the Ravens.

Outlook: Both have great defenses, but the Rams have the offense. Rams by at least 2 touchdowns.

There is a process to our rooting for teams that goes like this:

--Any St. Louis team vs. a non-Baltimore team: St. Louis
--Any Baltimore team vs. a non-St. Louis team: Baltimore
--Washington Capitals vs. a non-St. Louis team: Washington
--Washington NFL team vs. any other team: The other team
--Washington Wizards vs. any other team: Washington (Rho), don't care (me)
--Any Philadelphia team vs. a non-Baltimore or non-St. Louis team (except the Washington Capitals): Philadelphia (me), don't care (Rho)
--House divided: Ravens-Rams, Capitals-Blues, college teams Rho likes vs. college teams I like

College-wise, well, Rho's main teams are those in the Baltimore-Washington area (mainly Maryland, Georgetown, Morgan State, Towson and Howard), with some liking of the Pennsylvania teams (except for Temple). Mine are the Missouri, Illinois, Maryland, and Pennsylvania teams (mainly St. Louis, Mizzou, SE Missouri State, Illinois, Maryland, St. Joseph's, and Penn).

It's going to be interesting when St. Louis joins the Atlantic 10 in 2 years.

so, what do you do when a non st louis team plays a non washington team in the wind is out of the west and the moon sets below the 33rd parallel and an announcer from the baltimore market is boadcasting the game with a st louis color man?

jesus christ...just root for the cowboys and be done with it already!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:36 PM   #92
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Okay. Dallas, Philly, AND Washington all won. Shockey busted his knee, he's out six to eight weeks. So, best-case scenario, he's back in time for Carolina at the end of the season. Worst-case scenario, God comes down and tells me Himself, "Yeah, you're not allowed to have fun during football season."

I've looked over the schedules, here it is. The Giants DO have a shot at a wild card slot. Barring massive failures on the part of the Cowboys and the Eagles, that's what they should shoot for.

Right now, the two second-best teams in the NFC are the Eagles and the Rams at 6-3, with Giants, Packers, Saints, Bucs, and 49ers after them at 4-5 each. These five share a lot of opponents fron now to season's end, so to analyze it out right now would be fruitless, as one week and the whole picture is changed.

My hatred to the Eagles is known, so yeah definitely wanting them to hurt. What I am seeing as well though is...the Rams have to take some falls. Syc, I'm sorry. I always liked you, I hold no grudge against you personally. This is just business.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:19 PM   #93
Griff
still says videotape

The Bungles!?
Old 11-16-2003, 09:18 PM   #94
tonksy
100:10100

i cannot believe the chiefs lost to the bengals...the mind just reels....at least the saints and the texans won today, that does my heart good. i had lost all faith in the saints in the first half but they rallied....by the hair on their chinny chin chins....makes me wonder if we would have beat them if michael vick was playing.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:09 AM   #95
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

I will not yell, I will not scream. In deference to the birthday of certain bulletin board founders, I will not lament the complete lack of testicular fortitude displayed by the warriors of my city on the football field today. I abandon my bitterness. It's gone, out the window, farewell.

Not at all bitter.

Completely devoid of bitterness.

Yes sir.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:27 AM   #96
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Fassel must go, is what it looks like it comes down to. That team was completely unmotivated.

Do you hate the Eagles more than the Cowboys?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:04 AM   #97
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Fassel does not have to go. Put down the copy of the Post and step away. SLOWLY. What the big problem was Sunday was they had a rookie CB, and because of it, were afraid to blitz. If it weren't for that, the defense would have mopped the Eagles all game.

Don't believe me? Look at the last game a few weeks back: From the 3:14 mark in the first quarter to the end of the game, McNabb and the offense NEVER crossed the 50 into Giants territory. The first quarter. And what Westbrook pulled was the textbook definition of a fluke, don't give me that.

As to the other question...I don't know. Giants-Eagles is a blood feud, that's something you just have to respect. But ever since Parcells joined up with the Cowboys...that was just wrong. The Jets and the Pats, we could forgive, but this?

As it stands, the Eagles are the closer of the two evils, so yeah, they're getting the bulk of the hatred, but there's plenty to go around. Someone remind me to send a bottle of champagne and a thank-you card to the Pats? They made a rough day more bearable.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:06 AM   #98
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Michael Strahan was also owned, rook corners or no. And the rook corners didn't screw up first and goal on the 1.

The Eagles offense was all hosed up the first half of the season. It looks like McNabb is back in stride now.

And this game was on six days rest after beating GB at Lambeau, man! If anyone was gonna let down it was gonna be the Eagles.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 12:00 PM   #99
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I knew the Chiefs wouldnt' go 16-0...they aren't *that* good. But it was still painful watching them get manhandled by the Bengals.

Oh well...on to 15-1. That should still be an eye-opener of a season.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:23 PM   #100
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Wouldnt it be funny if the wheels came off and they finished 9-7?

no?
Old 11-17-2003, 01:05 PM   #101
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Sadist.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:44 PM   #102
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Chewie, I want you to repeat after me..."The Giants are a lost cause this season...the Giants are a lost cause this season..."

I want you to repeat that about 700 times...believe me, it's better this way. There's always next year.

Ep, I'm sorry about the Chiefs...seriously. You actually got me into rooting for them.

I can't believe the Bears almost beat the Rams...what's up with that? That's alright though...Bulger's solid play in the 4th quarter should shut the fuck up out of the bitches that begged Martz to bench Bulger in favor of Warner. You DON'T change horses in mid-stream.

Jim, it's actually not as complicated as it looks when it comes to rooting for teams in this house. Now your Cowboys comment almost confirms for me that you were dropped one too many times on your head as a child, but perhaps it's just the lingering effects from that massive shit you took after that photo you posted, so I'm willing to cut you a break here.

McNabb and the Iggles seem to finally be playing like the teams of the past two years. Merrill Reese almost lost his mind over that goalline stance. Good game.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 09:56 AM   #103
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

It's called "keeping the faith", Syc. I don't see you feeding Griff that same line, and he needs it as much if not more than I may!

Granted, as a Pittsburgh fan, he's probably moved on to watching hockey games by now...or NASCAR.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:34 PM   #104
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbaccus
It's called "keeping the faith", Syc. I don't see you feeding Griff that same line, and he needs it as much if not more than I may!
Heh. I know the Steelers suck... you're still in denial.

Watch your mouth on that Nascar jive. I'm rural but not that rural.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:04 PM   #105
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbaccus

Granted, as a Pittsburgh fan, he's probably moved on to watching hockey games by now...or NASCAR.

you know, hockey IS a gateway drug to NASCAR...be very careful, griff.