The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Soldiers Angels

I just got an appeal from Soldiers Angels for Valentine's Day packages.

http://www.angelpackages.org/Valentine/

I'm probably going to give. I've already given to Soldiers Angels and I appreciate the job they do.

But I still wanted to check a few things, just as if it was an unfamiliar charity.

IRS registration

I then checked them with Guidestar (I had to open a free account). Confirmed from their 2007 IRS form 990 that about %73 of gross receipts went to programs and not fund raising and administration.

The only downside was that their website they use for processing is hosted by www.ifr-ors.com, which is registered to Eberle Communications.

Quote:
Connections
  • Tom DeLay, John Ashcroft: "Bruce Eberle runs Eberle Communications Group, Inc., which is involved in tom delay's fundraising scandal. ECG, Inc. also owns Fund Raising Strategies, Inc. and seems to prefer the name Eberle & Associates. part of the business is PR, part is fund raising. ... Eberle also owns Omega List Company and Eberle and Omega were busted for illegally giving data lists to Ashcroft when he was a senator. while you're at the omega site, be sure to check out Blanquita Cullum's prattling. this 'email endorsement' stuff sounds kinda fishy and propagandistic to me." Daily Kos, January 29, 2005.
"According to Public Citizen both Bobby Eberle and Lamar Smith donated money to Tom Delay's defense fund." [2]
I'm not going to blame Soldiers Angels for who their service provider is. I'm not even going to think about the small percentage of my money that may go to pay Eberle, assuming that they don't host for free (they might). I guess it's no different for conservatives, who have to look past liberals supporting the same cause.

It's still a little annoying, and an example of how we humans tend to complicate things.

BTW, give $30 to Soldiers Angels. As long as those care packages get there, I don't care if the devil or Tom Delay himself delivers them.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

I'm just going to to donate food to our local food bank, as a distressing number of the homeless in Tucson are veterans of Iraq/Afghanistan.
TGRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Tester-San's brother is deploying on Monday. I may wait and see what his platoon would like, and then send to him.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

If they're anything like Brits (prolly not!) they need toiletries inc razors, toothpaste, toothbrushes; sweets (candy) especially in tins; chewing gum; Vaseline (for the lips!) and Tabasco.

I got cards back after sending my first lot (the second went to the Territorial Army because I'd moved here and had no contact for overseas). They made me cry - it was such a little thing I did. Afterwards I wished I'd sent a female package too because they are often forgotten, but I bought all male.

I know you have the sense to send what it needed, Wolf. But the reaction I got shows anything you send is greeted with thanks.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Tester-San's brother is deploying on Monday. I may wait and see what his platoon would like, and then send to him.
Keep me in the loop, Wolf (PM me please)
Old 02-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
If they're anything like Brits (prolly not!) they need toiletries inc razors, toothpaste, toothbrushes; sweets (candy) especially in tins; chewing gum; Vaseline (for the lips!) and Tabasco.
The Soldiers Angels website has a photograph of what I assume is the Valentines day pack. It includes a blanket, knit cap, raisins, apple cider, granola bars, jam, gum, a tea bag, and a few packets I can't identify.

I was able to get my donation in today.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
regular.joe
Старый сержант

That's really cool Rich. Having had the experience, getting a package from someone you don't know is very uplifting for the morale. It lets us know that people are thinking about us.

Sundae, all soldiers are basically the same, I would add to your list baby wipes. Thank God for baby wipes! oh yea, a good deck of cards is always a good thing to send.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote