The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Modern day slavery

I moving story. I think it deserved it's own thread.

http://news.aol.com/article/child-ma...ds-from/288230

RVINE, Calif. (Dec. 29) -- Late at night, the neighbors saw a little girl at the kitchen sink of the house next door. They watched through their window as the child rinsed plates under the open faucet. She wasn't much taller than the counter and the soapy water swallowed her slender arms.But she was not the daughter of the couple next door doing chores. She was their maid.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

They don't say how the slave-owning family got so rich---they came to America, lived in a Tuscan-like villa, slept late, didn't work and had all those children? WTF? Must be drug runners.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
skysidhe

good questions

Mine were if the girl got her pay and if she was allowed to send any to her mother. I imagine not very much if so.

I am glad someone turned them in and the girl was adopted. A happy ending.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Cloud

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=1...hlight=slavery
Old 12-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Pie
Gone and done

Did anyone get down to this part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
EPILOGUE: On a recent afternoon in Cairo, Madame Amal walked into the lobby of her apartment complex wearing designer sunglasses and a chic scarf.
After nearly two years in a U.S. prison cell, she's living once more in the spacious apartment where Shyima first worked as her maid. The apartment is adorned in the style of a Louis XIV palace, with ornately carved settees, gold-leaf vases and life-sized portraits of her and her husband.
She did not agree to be interviewed for this story.
Before the door closed behind her, a little girl slipped in carrying grocery bags. She wore a shabby T-shirt. Her small feet slapped the floor in loose flip-flops. Her eyes were trained on the ground.
She looked to be around 9 years old.
Very sad. You can change the life of one person, but the other 1.1 billion are still out there.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
Mine were if the girl got her pay and if she was allowed to send any to her mother. I imagine not very much if so.
She was probably still working off the loans her family took against her future.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
Pie
Gone and done

As far as I can tell, she disowned her Egyptian family. She didn't want to send them money -- she hadn't spoken to them in years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
Investigators arranged for her to speak to her parents. She told them she felt like a "nobody" working for the Ibrahims and wanted to come home. Her father yelled at her. "They kept telling me that they're good people," Shyima recounted in a recent interview. "That it's my fault. That because of what I did my mom was going to have a heart attack."
Three years ago, she broke off contact with her family. Since then she has refused to speak Arabic. She can no longer communicate in her mother tongue.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:59 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, but this was after being rescued... and years of therapy.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #9
skysidhe

Her family would owe the loans sure but they would have no legal right to her money? Unless out of the kindness of her heart or to settle the adoption proceedings? I mean maybe that was used as leverage?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I think the legal rights of Egyptian peasants who are so poor they have to "lease" their daughters into slavery are shaky at best. Besides that, they had no interest in working to get their daughter back--her enclosed garage with no heat or light was still better than their shack in Egypt, and they felt she was ungrateful for what she had. They came to the U.S. to testify against her when she was fighting for her freedom.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote