The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 AM   #91
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck_duck View Post
Ok try paying attention. The part where I said i didn't know what any of this means was in reference to your statement I highlighted in bold which was this.

Also I not once said america was the most violent nation in the world.
Your original post, all I see in America is violence, it's rampant. That's where I disagree. You make it seem like all US news is about criminal acts and violence and that's what you think of the country as. The violence makes the news of course, but it doesn't mean we are all about violence. It is not rampant, we do not have massacres everyday, every month, every year. American cities are not about killing and violence. I will never believe violence is "rampant" in American cities.

rampant -
1. violent in action or spirit; raging; furious: a rampant leopard.
2. growing luxuriantly, as weeds.
3. in full sway; prevailing or unchecked: a rampant rumor.

It is not growing, it is not unchecked. Just because we have violence does not mean the USA does nothing about it. So for you to call it "rampant" is false. I'm from Chicago and when I think of the Windy City crime is not the first thing that comes to mind, not at all. It (and many and most American cities) has a lot more positive than negative aspects to it. Sure go ahead and tell me about Al Capone and the mob, but then I'll tell you that was 90 years ago. I could go and be ignorant and claim the movie Rush Hour perceives Hong Kong as strictly a drug trafficking, gang infested murder port but that would be wrong as well. It is not rampant, end of story. Rwanda has rampant violence. The USA does not.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:55 AM   #92
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Not once did I form my opinion based on a movie and I don't care about mob violence, I'm talking about daily violence. Compared to where I'm from crime in america is rampant. You have armed gangs roaming the streets so how can you say it isn't out of control?
duck_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:00 AM   #93
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Not once did I form my opinion based on a movie and I don't care about mob violence, I'm talking about daily violence. Compared to where I'm from crime in america is rampant. You have armed gangs roaming the streets so how can you say it isn't out of control?
Armed gangs? And the Triads are just shady business men? Your bullshit I can't stand anymore. I don't give a fuck where you're from the crime in America is not fucking rampant. I ask you to tell some casual city dwelling American who knows a shitload more than you about city life "is violence rampant in your city?" and he will tell you no. Why the fuck would he be LIVING in that city if there was rampant violence. If you think America has rampant violence then you DON'T want to go to mainland China (where you say you have no idea what it's like there) where police beat the shit out of civilians for looking at them the wrong way. Now that is an armed gang roaming the streets. Tell all the other dwellars here that America has rampant violence. The American ones will probably get a little offended if you just are going to label us all a bunch of thieves, thugs and murderers.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:09 AM   #94
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Armed gangs? And the Triads are just shady business men? Your bullshit I can't stand anymore. I don't give a fuck where you're from the crime in America is not fucking rampant. I ask you to tell some casual city dwelling American who knows a shitload more than you about city life "is violence rampant in your city?" and he will tell you no. Why the fuck would he be LIVING in that city if there was rampant violence. If you think America has rampant violence then you DON'T want to go to mainland China (where you say you have no idea what it's like there) where police beat the shit out of civilians for looking at them the wrong way. Now that is an armed gang roaming the streets. Tell all the other dwellars here that America has rampant violence. The American ones will probably get a little offended if you just are going to label us all a bunch of thieves, thugs and murderers.
Oh give me a break. The triads do not roam the streets shooting people in the head for their purse or their car. The triads are a shadow of what they were before china took over. In america on the other hand, not a day goes by in an american city without gang violence. And you want to talk about police abuse? Are you saying that doesn't happen in america?? Also why are you telling me I know nothing about america when I live here yet you make claims about china and you have never lived there. Further more I didn't label all of you as criminals, I said your crime is rampant and I stand by that.
America is not a third world thug dictatorship so there is no excuse to have crime on the scale that you do.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:12 AM   #95
freshnesschronic
Professor

I can't wait til morning comes and the other American dwellars reply to your "rampant" bashing of America.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:16 AM   #96
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Oh give me a break. The triads do not roam the streets shooting people in the head for their purse or their car. The triads are a shadow of what they were before china took over. In america on the other hand, not a day goes by in an american city without gang violence. And you want to talk about police abuse? Are you saying that doesn't happen in america?? Also why are you telling me I know nothing about america when I live here yet you make claims about china and you have never lived there. Further more I didn't label all of you as criminals, I said your crime is rampant and I stand by that.
America is not a third world thug dictatorship so there is no excuse to have crime on the scale that you do.
So, you're telling me everyday people get shot in the head for their purse in America. That is the most outrageous thing I've ever heard. Police abuse. I am 100000% sure American police injustice is 100000x LESS than communist China's police injustice. And I have heard many stories from my Chinese friends who visit there in the summer. Goddamnit where is the morning. I really didn't think immigrants would move here if they thought our crime was so fucking "rampant." Isn't that why they moved to America? To escape poverty, oppression, VIOLENCE and to have an opportunity? Why come to America, you might have a 100% chance of getting shot in the head for your purse.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:18 AM   #97
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Oh course, americans are prideful and so I'm sure to receive all kinds of personal insults for my opinions. We all know that expressing any opinion that is negative of america is of course america bashing.
Since I'm doomed to be insulted by your fellow americans in the morning, I would like to add not only is your crime out of control but you have a pop culture that glorifies.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:22 AM   #98
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
So, you're telling me everyday people get shot in the head for their purse in America. That is the most outrageous thing I've ever heard. Police abuse. I am 100000% sure American police injustice is 100000x LESS than communist China's police injustice. And I have heard many stories from my Chinese friends who visit there in the summer. Goddamnit where is the morning. I really didn't think immigrants would move here if they thought our crime was so fucking "rampant." Isn't that why they moved to America? To escape poverty, oppression, VIOLENCE and to have an opportunity? Why come to America, you might have a 100% chance of getting shot in the head for your purse.
So car jacking and armed robbery in america is rare? That is new. And as for the police abuse you are comparing to mainland china. You might be right that it is worse in mainland china. I wouldn't know because I have never lived there but neither have you.
Why do immigrants move to america? certainly not because of crimes in their own country but because they think they can make more money in america.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:23 AM   #99
freshnesschronic
Professor

No shit we have a pop culture that glorifies, but you didn't say what. Oh right, mass murder, like this KOREAN immigrant who slaughtered 32 people in AMERICA. Obviously our crime is out of control, damn. Let's just make another glorifying pop video about how we love crime. That's what we do. That's America. You came here, don't blame me.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:26 AM   #100
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
So car jacking and armed robbery in america is rare? That is new. And as for the police abuse you are comparing to mainland china. You might be right that it is worse in mainland china. I wouldn't know because I have never lived there but neither have you.
Why do immigrants move to america? certainly not because of crimes in their own country but because they think they can make more money in america.
Listen getting shot in the head means you're gonna DIE. That's what you said. Contradict yourself some more. And no, my European friends moved here because eastern Europe has some bad ass violence. Now don't even get me started on my African friends. You must not know anything about Eastern or Central Africa if you think certainly not because crime in their country. But I guess Hong Kong is violence free.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:26 AM   #101
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
No shit we have a pop culture that glorifies, but you didn't say what. Oh right, mass murder, like this KOREAN immigrant who slaughtered 32 people in AMERICA. Obviously our crime is out of control, damn. Let's just make another glorifying pop video about how we love crime. That's what we do. That's America. You came here, don't blame me.
Oh my mistake, your pop culture glorifies violence. That much is obvious.
Interesting how you point out the mass killer was an immigrant. He lived there since he was 8 years old.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:29 AM   #102
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
Listen getting shot in the head means you're gonna DIE. That's what you said. Contradict yourself some more. And no, my European friends moved here because eastern Europe has some bad ass violence. Now don't even get me started on my African friends. You must not know anything about Eastern or Central Africa if you think certainly not because crime in their country. But I guess Hong Kong is violence free.
Um point out where I contradicted myself. And I like how you seem to have friends from everywhere and use that to qualify knowing what you are talking about. I suppose if I said the moon was made of cheddar cheese you would have a friend that has been there and claims it was made of swiss.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:29 AM   #103
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Oh my mistake, your pop culture glorifies violence. That much is obvious.
Interesting how you point out the mass killer was an immigrant. He lived there since he was 8 years old.
Shit, I'm an immigrant I came here when I was two. In fact my family tells me of their extended family in Mindanao who fled the Philippines because of the violence caused by the Moros in MY country. Damn, I'm even going to get personal to prove you wrong.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:31 AM   #104
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Um point out where I contradicted myself. And I like how you seem to have friends from everywhere and use that to qualify knowing what you are talking about. I suppose if I said the moon was made of cheddar cheese you would have a friend that has been there and claims it was made of swiss.
Clearly you don't know the University of Illinois lowered it's in state tuition admission and significantly raised it's international admission. That is all about the money. So I have more intnat'l friends, DUH. And I like how your post I quoted above has absolutely no substance. It's a great tactic. I was almost thrown off.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:32 AM   #105
SadistSecret
Even If you choose to love me, I will always choose to fall.

We're not really that violent, it's just oversensationalized in the media because that's what sells. It's never about the actual news anymore, it's about getting the all day coverage on something that makes everyone go "OH MY GOD/S!". News Companies, at the top levels, don't really care what is on the news, as long as it'll stop every dumbass between Maine and Hawaii so they can watch how 30-some odd people got shot today, or how some celebrity did this or that, all to make a quick buck. I suppose it's a bit cold of me to say that I really don't care about what happened in VA the other day, but I actually don't. I care most about what happens where *I* live.

It's all a big ratings contest, and that's why you see so much drugs, sex, violence, and Oprah on TV these days. All I see on the news are stories about the "war", or some sad sack story that's supposed to make you cry. They can wrap up their story on the 6:00 News, and be done with it, and that's what they should be doing, not bulletizing every little detail for an event that is happening halfway (For me, in Iowa, it's about half) across the country, because I really don't care. It doesn't change my life significantly that some guy came to a uni and shot 30 people.

So, don't go saying the USA is incredibly violent, just because that's what you see on TV. To hell with Big News corporations. There's a reason I read the small paper instead of the big one.